• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting off, On, The Camino Portuguese

Celtic

Time of past OR future Camino
May 14/29 2023, Camino Portuguese coastal route
Hi,
Is it possible to walk from lisbon to Vila Franco de Xira in one day.
At the start of the Camino Portuguese.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
The question I would have would be are you capable of walking a marathon with whatever pack you intend to carry, and doing another half-marathon or marathon the next day. If you have prepared for that, and the weather isn't too debilitatingly hot, you might be fine.

I am curious. How many such days are you thinking of doing? There are ultra distance athletes who could probably do this day after day, but they generally have a support crew. Walking alone might be a different matter, but that doesn't make it impossible.

There are many questions I have - are you prepared to reveal why you are thinking of doing this?

Hi,
This pilgrim has very recently done it and vlogged his day. I reckon he puts something special in his large glasses of beer.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do this as a few years ago walking there from Parque das Nacoes was a day I still remember as one of the toughest days on any Camino I've had (accommodation was a challenge to find between this stretch). However, as dougfitz mentions, maybe you are capable of it, just like the entertaining vlogger.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Joker.
Thanks for the video, and understand on this stretch
Its a challenge for accommodation..
Hense, Gonna try and get to Vila Franco de Xira in a day.
Where there is acomodation, and getting out of Lisbon and built up areas. I won't be doing until March /April next year.
when it is cooler..

Hense, Gonna try and get to Vila Franco de Xira in a day.
Where there is acomodation, and getting out of Lisbon and built up areas.
I know that this was a concern for me in 2022, when I walked, and Alpriate was the only place with an albergue. There was no way that I was going to walk to Vila Franco de Xira - that was a two day activity for me. The first day, I took the train back into Lisbon from Povoa, and returned the next day. I had considered taking the train forward, which I did later to break up the long stretch before Santarem.

I don't recall walking in built up areas much after Oriente. How the new alignment of the section from Oriente to the area around Alverca will change how much is in urban areas will be interesting to see. It should be open by the time you walk, with even more of the first few days staying close to the Rio Tejo.

There are at least 3 albergue/working person's hotels in Verdelha de Baixo. That would give you 21.5 KM for a break-in day, probably less with the new trail start.I think the places were about 20E for a single room with shared bath. There was a very nice restaurant on the same street with meals for 11 or 11.5 E.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Motero99,
Thanks for the info on the Albergue's and hotels at Verdelha de Baixo around the 21klm mark.
Much appreciated.

The exit for Verdelha de Baixo Is before Alverca. If you arrive at the Alverca train station, you have gone too far. Elle Biellingelle (elle@pilgrimagetraveler.com) in her ebook Lisbon to Porto describes back tracking from the Alverca train station. I used Organic Maps and it showed where to leave the Camino for Verdelha. I would assume Wise Pilgrim does the same thing. As you exit the Camino and cross over the train tracks and I think a road, look for a sign for Auchan. It is a great market, has a fresh OJ machine and a good spot for fresh fruit. The street with the places to stay is just beyond that. Gronze lists a couple of them as in Alverca, but they are actually in Baixo. The location is where the two areas meet. I stayed at Hospedaria Alfa 10. There is a very good restaurant on the same street. It is called A Lanterna. I loaned out the guidebook with the names of the other places to sleep. I think Elle lists them in her guide.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you want to do a 37km opener (which is very possible), you need to be walking for at least a week before you get boots on the ground in Lisbon. Get used to 30km days back to back for a week. Then when you hit the path in Lisbon you only need to worry about the heat.

Hi Pathfinder,
Thanks
for the positive info on the first leg..
I won't be doing it until March /April next year,
When it will be cooler.
Buen Camino..
If you want to do a 37km opener (which is very possible), you need to be walking for at least a week before you get boots on the ground in Lisbon. Get used to 30km days back to back for a week. Then when you hit the path in Lisbon you only need to worry about the heat.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
Thanks you.
For this link.
Let's hope it is...
As the research, I've been doing..
It isn't well sign posted getting out of Lisbon..
Much appreciated.

Hi,
Thanks you.
For this link.
Let's hope it is...
As the research, I've been doing..
It isn't well sign posted getting out of Lisbon..
Much appreciated.
I walked from Lisbon last year and had no issues leaving the city, but I also used a Camino app with GPS. Of course when the route changes it will be different, and hopefully even better!

I walked from Lisbon last year and had no issues leaving the city, but I also used a Camino app with GPS. Of course when the route changes it will be different, and hopefully even better!
HI,
What was the Camino App you used?.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use both Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps.

Thank you...
What I've seen on you tube.
Once you get to Vasco de Gama bridge it is sign posted from there.

Thank you...
What I've seen on you tube.
Once you get to Vasco de Gama bridge it is sign posted from there.
It's signposted from the Igreja de Santiago, where it starts, although I think many people start at the Se Catedral de Lisboa, just down the hill from the Igreja de Santiago. I found it useful to be using OSMAnd+ with the walking tracks layer enabled. This displays all the Camino routes, and their variants. Any app with the map enabled should be very helpful while getting out of the old city.

The route out of the city avoids the main roads where it can, and by the time you reach the area of Oriente, it follows the Rio Tejo into Sacavem. The new route appears to turn back to the river there, rather than going inland towards Alpriate.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Started from.Lisbon May 13 - mostly well signed from the Sè cathedral, just need to look around for arrows and small camino stickers on walls, lamp/sign posts etc at each intersection. The tile museum is well worth stopping at - the church/chapel inside is amazing.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Apparently it is a distance of 37 km. Have you ever, before now, walked 37 km carrying a backpack? The easiest way to find out if it is possible is to do it. Find a spot 37 km from where you live, load up a backpack, get a train or a bus there, and walk home.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back