• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to read on the Voie du Puy?

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
Can any of you recommend books in French or authors associated with the Voie du Puy, in particular the stretch between Le Puy and Cahors? A search on Google did not produce any results.

I am thinking primarily about fiction but would not be adverse to reading books of history, geography, culture. I have of course already got my MMDD and Cicerone guide books.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, I guess the classic walking in France would be Robert Louis Stevenson's travels with his donkey, Modestine? Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes (1879).
Available in the original French but also many good English translations (Ebay!) - not the Le Puy route but still walking travels and the Cevennes is similar country as is only 60 miles south of Le Puy.

it is light reading and has nothing to do with the GR 65 but there is a series of mystery books by Martin Walker about "Bruno, Chief of Police.." which takes place in small village not too far from the route and describes the life and times in a small village similar to those you will be walking through.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You might enjoy reading some of the articles and books by Peter Graham who as an ex newspaper writer lived in and loved Mourjou in the Auvergne near Figeac. See more here.
For many years both in Paris and when we visited the Auvergne Peter befriended my husband and myself. He very much enjoyed eating/drinking and describing the local specialties.

Last edited:
it is light reading and has nothing to do with the GR 65 but there is a series of mystery books by Martin Walker about "Bruno, Chief of Police.." which takes place in small village not too far from the route and describes the life and times in a small village similar to those you will be walking through.
On the same tack, if you like detective fiction I'd recommend Fred Vargas' quirky, archaeology-and-myth-based Inspector Adamsberg series. They are set all round France and Adamsberg himself is based in Paris, but comes from the Pyrenees. 'Seeking Whom he May Devour' is set there. They're terrific.

You might enjoy reading some of the articles and books by Peter Graham who as an ex newspaper writer lived in and loved Mourjou in the Auvergne near Figeac. See more here.
For many years both in Paris and when we visited the Auvergne Peter befriended my husband and myself. He very much enjoyed eating/drinking and describing the local specialties.
Mourjou would get my vote too, not for the recipes — well, I am a lifelong non-carnivore! — but for the author’s enthusiasm for and immersion in the life and history of the community. It’s a fascinating read.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know whether it's any good as there were no reviews, but I saw a novel with the title Via Podiensis : La guerre ou le chemin des etoiles by Nathalie Dorgandie. According the the blurb "Via Podiensis est l'histoire de deux frères, Guillaume, quinze ans, et Pierre, dit Pépé, dix ans, qui vivent l'un pour l'autre et qui vont être séparés. Guillaume va être propulsé au coeur de la Première Guerre mondiale et Pépé va se perdre sur le chemin de Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle, dans l'espoir de retrouver son frère." Others I've read, not specific to the Podiensis, include Immortelle Randonnée : Compostelle malgré moi est un récit de voyage by Jean-Christophe Rufin and Le vestibule des causes perdues by Manon Moreau. There is also Priez pour nous à Compostelle by Pierre Baret about pilgrims during the Middle Ages, and En avant, route ! by Alix de Saint André relating the experiences of three modern-day pilgrims [which I haven't read].

I read "The Three Musketeers" by Dumas while on the Le Puy route and was surprised to find myself in a town where some of the action was taking place. The town was further down the trail from Cahors, I think Navarranx.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many thanks to all of you who have taken time to reply to my post and my apologies for not having been able to answer sooner!

Your suggestions have been most helpful! Some of the books suggested I have already read:

Vargas : one of my favourite crime writers
Immortelle randonnée : a delightful read! It is a book I often offer to friends for their birthday.
Priez pour nous à Compostelle : I was blessed to read this book before my very first Camino and it helped me immensely not only to understand the history of the Way, but medieval society in general.

RLS’s "Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes" and the Martin Walker novels I will leave for when I come back home, because I want to limit myself to books in French for the duration of my walk.

Mention of "Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes" reminds me of a book about the Voie du Puy which I can warmly recommend: "Travels with a stick", by a Scottish Presbyterian minister called Richard Frazer. See here my review of his book:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/travels-with-a-stick-by-richard-frazer.66666/

"Vestibule des causes perdues" I will certainly buy, but for my wife, who cannot accompany me physically.

For her too I will buy, if I can find it, "Mourjou", for she is a keen cook.

Thank you all once again for your help!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back