• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to find possible walking partners?

brookelari

Hello~!

I am a female in my mid-twenties hoping to walk the Camino Frances in September of this year and am wondering if it is possible to find walking partners, as none of my friends nor acquantinces are interested/have time accompanying me. Does anyone know if there is an Internet site or group that assists prospective pilgrims find other prospectives? (An alternative to posting on Craig's List.)

Thanks!
peace,
Brooke.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Brooke,

I would not be too concerned about going on your own. I began my first Camino on my own and was only alone for 1 full day - and that was only because I began in a more unusual spot. If you are going on the Camino Frances you will meet plenty of people on your first day and will be astonished how helpful and friendly most people are.

I think that I probably had a great deal BECAUSE I was alone. Had I had a travelling companion / s people may not have been so willing to befriend me quite as quickly. Until my Camino I had never travelled overseas and didn't speak either French or Spanish and yet I managed. (I have been trying to get a basic grasp of both languages before I begin my next Camino on August 4th.)

Good luck, and ENJOY! regards, Janet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't be too worried about not having a walking partner. I understand that being a young woman, you might have some concerns but it is extremely unlikely that you will ever be out of sight of other pilgrims. As was mentioned, you will probably make more friends if you are on your own. I think people find it more difficult to make friends with people who are in groups. I went on my own and there were times when I thought it would be great just to be alone just for one day! You will meet great people from all walks of life and from all corners of the earth. It is a life changing experience.

Walking alone

Hi Brooke,
The funny thing about the camino is that you have people who start off walking together and then separate along the way - for any number of reasons - and people who start out alone and end up with daily companions.
On your first day, look around for the most nervous looking pilgrim and offer to accompany them. I'm sure that pilgrim will be relieved and grateful for your company.
Pilgrim hugs,

I find that you'll spend some days walking alone, some days with one person, some days with another and so on. More often than not, I ended up spending the evening with one big group as a whole and random trot along with whoever happened to be there!

Tis a nice sense that you don't actually feel obliged to walk with these people, just... do!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sometimes it is better to walk alone, if we want to get in touch with ourselves, or if we want an answer to something we have been thinking about. Sometimes talking with people ("takes us out") Go and see what shows up.
dawn
I did the camino frances last year, with alot of distractions (me talking) so the universe put me on the camino norte this year for AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE OF self discovery and information.
dawn

Hello, Brooke

In my opinion the best is to go alone ... and you will find your best walking partners there ... don't worry about.

Enjoy your Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

Hi B, I would say the best way to find people outside of your circle of friends would be to search google for blogs of people who have just walked the camino, try and find someone similar to you in interests and ask them if they have any friends there recommending to do the camino. I find nearly everyone who does it has at least one friend they think it would be perfect for and friends tend to be at least a bit alike so you might get a better match than craigs list :) then just see what it leads too. J x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Brook,

there's ONE place where you'll find them..............along the Camino.

Paulus

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back