• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Winter Camino Pack List - Suggestions?

Leanan-sidhe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (June, 2012) (Dec/Jan, 2013/14) Camino Portuguese (Summer, 2014)
So I’m going on my first winter camino and I thought I share my pack list, I should add that I wear XL to XXL so a lot of my clothes are quite a bit heavier than if you are a svelte S .
The weight also includes everything (except water) I’ll be wearing and / or carrying as, in my opinion, it doesn’t really matter if it’s in your pack or on your skin it still needs to go up the mountain! In total I find the list adds up to about 3kg (6.6 lb) more than my summer pack list … for anyone having experience in winter caminos I would welcome any suggestions! Weight is in grams; 100g is about 3.5 oz ... for my American friends And sorry for the strange formating, it seems spread sheets don't go well with the forum format.

Big stuff total: 3481 notes

Backpack 1100 Ospray Talon 44

Backpack cover 90

Sleeping bag 760 Firelight 450

Hiking boots 924 Merrell, with GroeTex

crocs 277

Backpack rain cover 150

Clothes total: 4369

Rain Jacket 800

Rain Trousers 200

1 T-shirts 107

2 Long sleeved fleece 694

Vest 303

2 thermal tops 381 1 merino / 1 synthetic

2 thermal bottoms 330 1 merino / 1 synthetic

2 Long Trousers + belt 998 1 is a thermal hiking pant by Columbia as I get cold easily unfortunately it weighs 650g but so worth it!

3 Knickers 75 Ex-officio … just love them!

2 Bras 110 No adjusters at the top of the shoulders or you will suffer

2 Socks thick 161 Bridgedale, about 30% wool so nice and warm even if they get wet

1 thin socks 30 For sleeping

gloves 50

balaclava 32

hat 45

dry bag - green 53 Yes I have dry bags for all my things, I don’t take the risk!

Wash Bag total: 563

Toothbrush 19

Toothpaste 36

Soap 60

Shampoo 43

Hairbrush 58

Skin cream 40

Nail clipper 42

Sun screen / lip balm 25

Deodorant 70

Copeed stick 24 vital against blisters!

Empty bag 37

anti-bug spray 65 Death to Bed Bugs!!!

Medication I need 45

2 Hiker towels 148 1 for my hair as it’s very long, they are actually microfiber tea-towels

First Aid total: 536

Anti-diarrhoea / vomit meds

Plasters/compeed

Bandage

Pain killers

10 dioralyte / vitamins Dioralyte is a must! Wouldn’t travel without it, ever!

Needle and thread/scissors

Emergency blanket I do not leave without it

Plaster tape

Bit of TCP

10 Safety Pins

Tampons

Antiseptic wipes

Vinyl gloves

Documents total: 700

Bank card

Cash

Emergency numbers

Health insurance

Passport

Pilgrim passport

Travel tickets

Journal

pens

Guidebook

2 wallets 1 for day use, one for stash and cards etc

Waterproof bags

Other 2618

Earplugs / mask 12

bum bag 165 To keep all vitals with me at all times, essential as a solo traveler

water bladder 168

Camera/Phone + Chargers 568

2 Head lamp + battery 154

walking stick + duct tape 350 i just wrap some around the poles

knife 40

spoon and fork 15 Spongebob baby spoon and fork, only 2 euro

Tupperware box 105

8 zip lock bags 10

Toilet paper 90

hand wipes 90

shewee 85 Yes I’m a girl, I don’t always want to expose my rear to the elements

water bottle 24

Games (ludo and cards) 90 My luxury because it’s getting dark early

dry bag - grey 44

food stuff 500

Filled back pack weight 9602

Total Weight 12807

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That looks like a good list. My rucksack weighs 7.5kg and I expect sticks and clothes probably do come to 3 or 4 kg more.

The cold is quite extreme at the moment - for the first time, the water in my bottle froze as I was carrying it yesterday and the day before.

I haven't got a sleeping-bag, as every albergue I've ever stayed in has had blankets., but your's doesn't seem to weigh much.

I have 2 pairs of 1000 mile socks (which mostly work for me against blisters), 1 of ordinary and 1 of waterproof "sealskins" - the latter were a lifesaver on a couple of really sodden days in Galicia last year, as rain WILL get through the most goretexed covering eventually, but at least your feet are dry. Good zip-lock bags to keep dry spare clothes etc in the rucksack were another must.

For the torso I have a T-shirt, a base layer and 2 tops, all of merino wool. Despite the -4 temperatures and thick freezing fog, I haven't yet needed to use more than 3 layers - yesterday morning my top, like the trees, was covered in a thick hoar frost, without my being in the least uncomfortable. It's expensive but I've sort of added a new one each year over 3 winter caminos. My luxury for dark evenings in empty albergues has been a kindle, under 200g, I think. I also carry emergency food in case there's nowhere open - a chunk of cheese, some raisins etc, perhaps 500g - but that might not be a problem on the Francés.

Oh and you might need some sun glasses - when it does appear it can de dazzling

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola,

Looks like a very good list to me.
I am not sure you need two hiking long trousers.
I'd leave one home.
How about pajamas /jogging trousers for use inside after the daily walk?
A plastic cup.
Reusable plastic/nylon shopping bag. Good to sit on outside as well.
One headlamp should be enough.
Scarf?
Reflective strips/vest. Blinking bicycle lights?
Translation of your medications into Spanish.
I also would bring wool gloves with mitten over them, although mitten are a bit expensive.
Main thing in a winter Camino is to stay dry.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I am taking a little square cut off yoga mat for sitting on. This gives insulation if you sit on concrete etc. I think the square I have weighs less than 10 trams from memory.

I am also taking 2 reflective bands that I can wear on my wrists, ankles or even my knees. I have also bought some reflective tape, and have put strips around my walking poles, on my pack, and when I get there might try and put it on my rain gear too.

I a!so going to take a pashminias as a scarf. Janet

Thanks everybody for the feedback so far!

the 2 headlaps are actually 1 headlamp and 2 small LED blinkers for my walking poles so I will be visible from the back while walking (also have a reflecitve bright yellow rain cover for the pack ... I shall be inducing eye cancer to any hiker behind me ), the balacalva I have serves as a scarf too and to sit on I have a A4 padded envelope the plasic not paper version, weighs 10g and cheap enough to throw out.

Didn't think about sun glasses ... I never used the ones I had with me in the summer .... I will think about it and keep an eye on the weather and see if there is a lot of snow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Interesting point about carrying sun glasses. I use Army issue "Sawfly" protective glasses (available through EBay) while walking. They come with 3 sets of lenses, sun, yellow low light and clear. I found the clear ideal when walking in snow/hail driven by a gale force wind last Winter.

Most read last week in this forum