• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese packing list (help)

braxity

Time of past OR future Camino
August - September
Hi all,

I am starting the Camino in 2 weeks and this will be my first time. Would the attached be sufficient? is there any critical things I’m missing or any area i can likely cut weight/items?

Missing from photo:
- 1 x Merino wool shirt
- 3 x merino wool underwear
- casual shirt/shorts for evening wear etc.

Quick summary:
2 x darn tough hiking socks
2 x injiji sock liners
Head light for early walking
Thongs
Merino wool shirt
Hiking shorts
Zip off hiking pants
Brim hat
Toiletries bag which include medical kit; razor, cleaning, toothbrush, bandaids, compeed, tweezers, Vaseline
Security waist pouch
Poncho (if it rains)
Phone charger (wall charger to be added)
2 x small towels
Silk sleeping bag liner

Using a water bladder in backpack.

Current weight around 5kg, without water/food.

I am 29, and weigh 80kg, so this falls well below the 10% rule.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For a first timers you've got it covered quite good already!

Only a small remark. Although it would add some extra weight, you might consider bringing a backpack.
;)

Personally, I'd only bring 2 pieces of underwear and 1 small towel. I've been used to do so and never felt the need for an extra.

Hi all,

I am starting the Camino in 2 weeks and this will be my first time. Would the attached be sufficient? is there any critical things I’m missing or any area i can likely cut weight/items?

Missing from photo:
- 1 x Merino wool shirt
- 3 x merino wool underwear
- casual shirt/shorts for evening wear etc.

Quick summary:
2 x darn tough hiking socks
2 x injiji sock liners
Head light for early walking
Thongs
Merino wool shirt
Hiking shorts
Zip off hiking pants
Brim hat
Toiletries bag which include medical kit; razor, cleaning, toothbrush, bandaids, compeed, tweezers, Vaseline
Security waist pouch
Poncho (if it rains)
Phone charger (wall charger to be added)
2 x small towels
Silk sleeping bag liner

Using a water bladder in backpack.

Current weight around 5kg, without water/food.

I am 29, and weigh 80kg, so this falls well below the 10% rule.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Hi,
Have done the Portuguese from Lisbon and then separately from Lisbon on Central and Coastal.
I found the distances long between the stages but the route mainly flat.
Its a beautiful route and I would recommend it strongly.
Socks are what I want to mention.
We all have our favorites etc however as the route is flat and distnaces can be long you tend to heat up youre feet often. Light socks are better for this.
Also the route from Lisbon to Porto has many "Roman Roads" pathways, which gladly stop at porto.
I rarely blister but did on these paths, so change of socks during day and also a "beefed" up blister pack, perhaps shoe inserts and plenty of stops with shoes off, change of socks etc.
Have a lovely time , I did!
Regards
Peter

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Though sock liners add very little weight, I would jettison them and add one more pair of socks ( therefore you would have one to wear, one that is drying from being washed and one in reserve). You want your feet to breathe and the Darn Tough hiking socks are an excellent choice to allow that and the liners will inhibit it. Since you are walking in relatively warm weather I agree with the previous writer that you should use the light-type.

Liners prevent blisters though, no matter how hot or damp your feet get. I would never walk without them. I cannot get the iniji on my toes, so nylons are the liner for me. Worn under my knee socks, they keep me from getting blisters.

I've never used liner socks, but I wear WrightSocks double layer socks which have a built in liner. They are no thicker than regular socks. Plus I'm too lazy to wash two pairs of socks each day. 😉

I always bring three pairs of socks and three pairs of underwear for a few reasons. With the socks I have an extra pair to rotate during the day. I almost always wash my clothes every day, but on the rare occasion that I can't wash them it's good to have the back up pairs of socks and underwear, and finally, it's possible for them to go missing off the clothesline, and I wouldn't want to be left with a single pair of socks or underwear!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For a first timers you've got it covered quite good already!

Only a small remark. Although it would add some extra weight, you might consider bringing a backpack.
;)

Personally, I'd only bring 2 pieces of underwear and 1 small towel. I've been used to do so and never felt the need for an extra.
Yes, 2 pr. underwear, one quick drying towel. I never had time to change into anything "good" at night, it seems that most people just wear their trail clothes.
'22 Coastal route.

Great packing list.
Merino is a great choice for tops - you don’t have to wash every day.
If your ‘evening shirt’ is good for walking in the day if needed then you are set.
Sock liners are definitely a personal preference depending on your feet. I have never used them and generally don’t blister but I have ‘yoga feet’. Others can’t walk without liners. Lightweight Merino socks are perfect for Portuguese.
Then I’m thinking about the heat. Hat, reflective umbrella (more and more popular), special headgear you put in the fridge overnight….
One towel
I always take three underwears and socks. My problem is that I can forget to take them off the clothes line in the morning.
Buen Camino ❤️

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Liners prevent blisters though, no matter how hot or damp your feet get. I would never walk without them. I cannot get the iniji on my toes, so nylons are the liner for me. Worn under my knee socks, they keep me from getting blisters.
I also wear nylon pantyhose feet as liners; they’re almost weightless, very thin, and dry in a flash. And most importantly, they keep the shear zone (rub zone between two materials under pressure) between sock fabric and liner fabric, rather than between sock fabric and your skin, and so prevent blisters.

Definitely stop and remove shoes, socks, and liners every so often, and if you can stick your feet in cool water do so! Your feet and psyche will appreciate the break.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.