• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wondering about boots

Mrenacentista

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances/norte (2013)
Hello, All:

I am leaving Texas (think hot, flat) for the Camino in mid-May. Fly to Madrid, then Bilbao, bus to San Sebastian. Thinking of walking from there to Irun (several say it is beautiful stage) for first, warm-up walking day, then catch bus/whatever as needed to start Cam. Frances in St Jean. Walk it to Burgos.

Then bus/train to Santander. Walk and bus Cam Norte to Aviles and then Oviedo, with a side trip to Picos de Europa for couple of day hikes in mountains. Then considering taking the Cam. Primitivo back to Cam. Frances. to finish up to SDC and Finisterre.

Here is my immediate issue: need new boots (after several practice walks of 20-25 km), my old ones are just too worn down. Should I buy new, waterproof leather boots or go with a lighter, hiking shoe (also waterproof)? I am accustomed to boots, but they are hot and heavy and I get heat rash above ankles anytime I wear them.

I live in flatland, so don't get much experience with ascent/descents and have a weak knee as well. Have thought about getting a trekking pole, but also need a smaller pack, so costs are starting to mount. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I need to make a choice on shoes ASAP so I can get them and break them in over next 6 weeks before I head to Spain!

Millones de gracias,
Claudia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Completed Francis year before last and Norte last year. Used gortex walking shoes for all. Never found a need for boots.

It all depends on if you need ankle support, if you do then go for light mids, they usally need very little breaking in. A lot of people on here go with new balance trainers, I would but have very wide feet and even their extra wide fits dont do the job. Think light but waterproof.

Mike

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We have always used lightweight, breathable but waterproof boots which come just over our ankles to give support. We appreciate the ankle support on the Primitivo and also the waterproofing when it was wet/muddy on the track.
Our latest boots are Grisport. They are the same style as our previous boots shown below which were Hi-Tec.

Attachments

• walkingboots.jpg
    walkingboots.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 756
Hi Claudia

You write that your old boots are worn down and this makes me think that you should buy new boots, as you are used to it.
Most pilgrims will probably agree upon that boots/shoes are an important item and the one item that needs to be close to perfect to one. You will basically be living in them for a month.
On a long walk your feet expand so the boots/shoes needs to be about one number bigger than usual.
In hot clima it may be more. Get professional help at the store to get it right.
As it was written in another response, the shoes needs to be waterproof.
Damp or wet feet are prone to blisters.

About walking pole you might just get a wooden stick from nature or at albergues. Often pilgrims forgets their sticks at albergues, free for other pilgrims to use.
And you will of course be going uphill many times, so do bring elastics and such for your knee.
Just in case.

Buen camino

Please don’t get 2 walking poles. Can’t think of anything more annoying than hearing the incessant click click of people’s poles -especially when walking on flat even ground!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
have a weak knee as well. Have thought about getting a trekking pole
To reduce the stress on your bad knee (and the good one, and your ankles), get a pair of trekking poles and use them properly. A stave looks cool, but does not offer the ergonomic benefits of trekking poles. :D

....and attach little rubber feet so not to annoy people like Mikelin

attach little rubber feet so
... you get better traction on wet pavement. Everyone is irritated by something, so your clicking might allow them to vent... :twisted:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back