• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best shoes for Irún to Bilbao stretch; trail runners or walking boots?

tommycamino

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
Apologies firstly because I know how much this debate comes up and I am certainly a trail runners advocate. However, I understand that Irún to Bilbao is one of the most physically demanding sections of any Camino route, with mud often being an obstacle. Planning on walking from Irún to Bilbao in June; would hiking shoes or trail runners be more appropriate for this section?

Thanks in advance. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Boots for a bad winter, anything light and comfortable with a thick enough trekking sole for other seasons - I always wear trekking sandals (Keen Newports) - you would be unlucky to have mud in June .. though .. weather patterns are crazy nowadays so who knows! (and I have never walked that Camino).

Last edited:
Apologies firstly because I know how much this debate comes up and I am certainly a trail runners advocate. However, I understand that Irún to Bilbao is one of the most physically demanding sections of any Camino route, with mud often being an obstacle. Planning on walking from Irún to Bilbao in June; would hiking shoes or trail runners be more appropriate for this section?

The route to Bilbao is very often mountainous and in 2013 with a lot of rain, it was very slippery at times and I was glad to have worn proper (high) hiking boots

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Lots of opinions about footwear. I wore Keen's but they kept getting sucked into mud on that stretch. The stitching began unraveling on the third day out of Irun and I had to replace them in Bilbao. It was May so the ground was wetter than it will likely be in June and could have just been a bad pair because I still have the replacements, but continually yanking them free of the mud didn't help. And I'd agree with the difficulty -- harder on the knees from the up and down than I found any part of the Primitivo which is supposed to be the toughest route -- so thicker soled shoes would help with cushioning/support if that's an issue. Buen Camino.

First of all, congrats on choosing this route. I am sure you will love it.

I wore trail runners, as did the majority of others I saw during my August-Sept. walk. Results were mixed. There is a lot of road walking, and the shoes were hot during those times. I also didn't break them in enough, and the road heat and the improper socks I wore resulted in severe blisters on the ball of one foot. Wear wool socks, whatever shoe you choose.

One aspect of this route that doesn't get mentioned often, is how steep are the descents into town on road surfaces. If your foot is sliding forward, this will also create an opportunity for blister formation.

I'll be back on the Norte in 2025, and will stick with trail runners. Whatever you choose, make sure they are broken in, a half size larger, and paired with a good sock.

In spite of my blisters, some Compheed and a days rest, allowed me to continue along the trail. It is a life changing walk.

Good luck and enjoy.

Footwear is a very individual choice. What works well for one may be a disaster for another.
If weight wasn't an issue, having boots and trail.shoes to choose from each day would be ideal.
I haven't walked the stretch you are planning on the Del Norte but have walked the Primitivo which has it's own challenges.
After seven Camino walks I am very much an advocate of trail shoes. Are they ideal every day? No, but on balance they are the 90% solution.
I've used boots exclusively on my first two Caminos and blew my feet up completely. Just too hot and sweaty feet blister, despite sock changes mid day and boots off multiple times a day.
On Camino three, was my first year with trail shoes ( half size larger than my normal for toe room and foot swelling) and using Wright branded socks and I've never looked back. Barely a blister worth mentioning in the subsequent five walks.
Sure, on the odd day of very rocky or muddy trail I wish I had a pair of boots, but since both aren't practical to carry. I will always defer to the 90% solution.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also wore trail runners and found that the breathability was great - there is a surprising amoun of road walking so was grateful to not have heavier footwear - I always also have keen sandles as a backup to wear walking which has proven helpful - very lightweight ones. Buen Camino! That first day from Irun is absolutely the most fantastic!!!!

Boots for a bad winter, anything light and comfortable with a thick enough trekking sole for other seasons - I always wear trekking sandals (Keen Newports) - you would be unlucky to have mud in June .. though .. weather patterns are crazy nowadays so who knows! (and I have never walked that Camino).
I have walked that section twice in Keen Newports. Many people were wearing low cut Merrels, Meindls, Scarpas, Hokas etc. A very few with mountaineering boots.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello all. This is our favourite section of all the caminos we have done! We have worn low Keens and trail runners, so it comes down to personal preference. We did it in mid May, with more rain and mud, but in later spring/summer I would expect it to be drier. Some sections have lots of oads, but if avble, ask local residents about alternatives and you will find alternatives.

There is no single shoe that will be perfect for all conditions you might encounter. I recommend that you choose the pair that is most comfortable for days of walking in the most common expected conditions i.e. fairly dry, fairly regular surfaces. You will simply "make do" if you encounter other conditions.

I walked SS to Bilbao in October 2023 - Brooks Cascadia 16 were great. That said it was fine 6 out of 7 days (I also did GR 121 alternate from Zumaia to Deba- highly recommended). Clay soils get very slippery when wet. I’d take some walking sandals as a precaution in case you hit some bad muddy areas so you can change in/out of them if required. I didn’t need to. It’s a great walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm thinking an early April 2025 start for this route (from Bayonne). I might take my two Altras - one is a low cut runner, the other a mid-ankle hiker. And of course the thongs ("flip-flops") that are neccessary to any Australian 😊

I'm thinking an early April 2025 start for this route (from Bayonne). I might take my two Altras - one is a low cut runner, the other a mid-ankle hiker. And of course the thongs ("flip-flops") that are neccessary to any Australian 😊
I would choose one pair of shoes to take. The other pair would be unnecessary weight.

I would choose one pair of shoes to take. The other pair would be unnecessary weight.
I'm not planning on taking a sleeping bag (staying at hotels, etc). Might allow a bit extra weight for shoes? I have a long time to test and curate my gear before it's time to go :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back