• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wooden hiking pole in TGV / Eurostar? Allowed / forbidden?

good_old_shoes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
Sorry for the stupid question.

Usually I travel by bus and never had problems bringing my wooden hiking pole. It went down into the luggage compartment.

Now for the first time I'll travel with the Eurostar (not from UK but via Belgium) and TGV (via Paris and Bordeaux to St. Jean). That's all new to me.

I'd love to bring my hiking pole with me. It's a classic wooden one with a metal tip.

I've heard that the Eurostar and TGV have more strict security rules than our German high speed trains, and am a bit worried that they won't allow my stick in the train?

Have had it for many years now and leaving it behind at the train station in case they do not allow it is no option.

Has anyone experience with this?

(I know I could just bring "modern" poles and put them into my pack, or buy a new stick in St. Jean. But I love the one I have and would prefer to use that one, if possible).

Thanks in advance!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last edited:
Eurostar (not from UK but via Belgium)
Just for info and @DirtAmy indicated it already: Although it says now Eurostar on these trains, they are the old Thalys trains, and there's no room to swing a cat in there. I always try to travel on an ICE or TGV instead.

Like @DirtAmy, I think that size is the main concern. I checked the TGV website - they explicitly allow a pair of skis for example. Il n’y a aucune limite de taille pour les skis, toutefois, chaque voyageur, ne peut voyager qu’avec une seule paire. So no limit on size for this kind of sports baggage.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just for info and @DirtAmy indicated it already: Although it says now Eurostar on these trains, they are the old Thalys trains, and there's no room to swing a cat in there. I always try to travel on an ICE or TGV instead.

Like @DirtAmy, I think that size is the main concern. I checked the TGV website - they explicitly allow a pair of skis for example. Il n’y a aucune limite de taille pour les skis, toutefois, chaque voyageur, ne peut voyager qu’avec une seule paire. So no limit on size for this kind of sports baggage.

I think my concern is that they might say it is a weapon, and therefore not allowed. Regarding size - I mean, it's a stick, it doesn't need much room, even though it's longer than 85 cm. In the ICE and regional trains I usually hang it from the coat hanger next to the seats at the windows.

I read on the website that ski are allowed. With ski usually come ski poles, which are not much different to hiking poles? So it might be okay, maybe...

I guess I am simply worried they won't allow me in the train with my trusted stick and I'll be left behind in the train station and we need to take the 24hr (one way) bus instead 😂.

Maybe taking off the metal tip makes a difference...? Then it's not much different from an ordinary walking cane.

It would be reassuring to hear from someone who has done it.

But thank you for your replies!

I think my concern is that they might say it is a weapon, and therefore not allowed
I understand that. I guess that we can have the same discussion thread as we have about poles in airplanes. 🙂

My main point was really pointing out that the Thalys is now a Thalys with Eurostar written on it.

Bon voyage!

I’ve travelled through Paris several times (also to Bayonne/Hendaye) and never saw anyone checking the travellers belongings. Sure you will need to scan your ticket before being allowed onto the platform at Montparnasse but that should be all.

I have never travelled on the Thalys so I don’t know if there is any kind of enforced regulations. But since it sounds you’re going to board the train in Germany I wouldn’t expect anyone to check your belongings when boarding either.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back