• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Change of rules on checking in hiking poles at SCQ airport

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
A little bad news for hiking pole users. It used to be the case that with the large numbers of pilgrims at Santiago airport arriving with hiking poles the airport staff there were okay with checking in your hiking poles at no additional cost. However, returning from my latest camino two days ago I met pilgrims who had been charged for this.

I decided to ask the check-in staff at the airport directly and was told that there's been an official change of policy on this now, since a couple of months ago. Apparently when they took the poles for free they became liable for damage and loss costs incurred, and these became quite many, so now officially hiking poles are classed as "extra sports equipment" and incur quite a hefty charge... 35 euros or GBP.

Because for many people this won't be worth it, it's worth making sure you have some way to either disassemble and pack or strap your poles to the outside of your backpack, otherwise you may end up paying almost as much as they cost you to get them home with you. Naturally this will mean you will need to check in the whole backpack too - but don't despair - Ryanair offer a 10kg luggage option which is perfect for backpacks, and it doesn't cost much more than the "priority" boarding they force you to buy to bring it on as cabin luggage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Ungawawa, thank you for taking the time to check this with the airport check-in staff.

There had been isolated reports on the forum but it was not clear at all whether this recent policy change was restricted to one particular airline at Santiago, such as Ryanair in fact, or haphazard, or a general policy change for all airlines operating from Santiago airport.

You've not only provided a confirmation but also an explanation. Thank you again!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I
@Ungawawa, thank you for taking the time to check this with the airport check-in staff.

There had been isolated reports on the forum but it was not clear at all whether this recent policy change was restricted to one particular airline at Santiago, such as Ryanair in fact, or haphazard, or a general policy change for all airlines operating from Santiago airport.

You've not only provided a confirmation but also an explanation. Thank you again!
It seemed to be so, but the woman I spoke to was at the Ryanair desk, so potentially it might just apply to Ryanair, though I don't believe so. She also said that other airports might be happy to check the poles for free, but that SCQ had deliberately stopped doing that now.

We didn't want to check our backpacks in so we sent our poles home to the US via Correos. The cost was about 28 Euros. Just another option.
Ditto for me to Germany, and not much cheaper - €23. The Correos staff in Santiago were brilliant, and they have special boxes for the poles ( included in the €23). I didn’t feel like donating a second pair of poles in one year- even though the cost is not much different than the postage!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sigh. And liability claims are why we can no longer have nice things (services)....

I hope someone has warned the Pilgrim Office about the upcoming flood of poles...
::: said with tongue only partially in cheek:::

A little bad news for hiking pole users. It used to be the case that with the large numbers of pilgrims at Santiago airport arriving with hiking poles the airport staff there were okay with checking in your hiking poles at no additional cost. However, returning from my latest camino two days ago I met pilgrims who had been charged for this.

I decided to ask the check-in staff at the airport directly and was told that there's been an official change of policy on this now, since a couple of months ago. Apparently when they took the poles for free they became liable for damage and loss costs incurred, and these became quite many, so now officially hiking poles are classed as "extra sports equipment" and incur quite a hefty charge... 35 euros or GBP.

Because for many people this won't be worth it, it's worth making sure you have some way to either disassemble and pack or strap your poles to the outside of your backpack, otherwise you may end up paying almost as much as they cost you to get them home with you. Naturally this will mean you will need to check in the whole backpack too - but don't despair - Ryanair offer a 10kg luggage option which is perfect for backpacks, and it doesn't cost much more than the "priority" boarding they force you to buy to bring it on as cabin luggage.
The problem is not the size or weight of the cabin luggage. Important is to recognize, that poles are not allowed in the cabin. You have to oder "extra luggage" which will come down in the plane. For a Ryanair flight cologne to Biarritz you pay 40€ for 23Kg.

We didn't want to check our backpacks in so we sent our poles home to the US via Correos. The cost was about 28 Euros. Just another option.
Was that for two pair of poles in one box? Or two separate boxes and charges?

Also, when did this occur?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We have always carried our backpacks on, plus checked a lightweight duffle bag with our poles, Swiss Army knives, and a few items of clothing for cushioning. I realize that some airlines charge for checked luggage--just saying this has worked well for us and we haven't had to worry about whether the poles in our backpacks would be a problem at the last minute. If we plan to arrive and depart from Europe in the same place, we have always been allowed to leave any excess items in our hotel's storage closet at no charge.

I buy cheap poles when I arrive as well as a cheap pocket knife. They both work really well for my purposes. I give them away in Santiago. Alot easier than having to check them in, buy a box or bag and then wait for them to come out. In Mexico City you can wait 30-40 minutes sometimes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Someone posted in America a photo of them getting ready to board a plane out of Sacrament, CA for their trip to Camino. iThey said they were ready to board the airplane and the photos clearly show them having their hiking poles on their carry-on daypacks. I am not questioning their veracity, but PLEASE can someone from inside the US who has just left or returned recently, tell me what the FACTS are about clearing TSA with our hiking poles For carry-on!

Someone posted in America a photo of them getting ready to board a plane out of Sacrament, CA for their trip to Camino. iThey said they were ready to board the airplane and the photos clearly show them having their hiking poles on their carry-on daypacks. I am not questioning their veracity, but PLEASE can someone from inside the US who has just left or returned recently, tell me what the FACTS are about clearing TSA with our hiking poles For carry-on!
The fact is that in the US it depends on the airport and the discretion of the TSA agent on duty.
This thread explains: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...sticks-into-the-airplane-cabin-with-me.73727/

Note that poles are never allowed as carry-on at the Santiago airport.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the past I have taken my poles on Ryanair (not in the cabin) for free from Santiago, only to have them confiscated at the Madrid airport going home to the US. I no longer bother with any of it. I purchase the cheapest ones available at Decathlon after I get to Spain (or wherever), and leave them behind when I finish...no more disappointments.

Hi to all those who leave their poles behind.

While as an individual this might seem like practical and economical decision, I would be interested to know how many poles are reused and how many end up in the Santiago tip.
Food for thought.
And happy to be told they are mostly beautifully recycled.

Cheers
Rita

tell me what the FACTS are about clearing TSA
The FACT is that - as @trecile says, it depends on the TSA officer in the US. In the rest of the world, there is also variability.

This thread explains
Note that I've updated the post to reflect the new information that started this thread.

the photos clearly show them having their hiking poles on their carry-on daypacks
Out of curiosity, can you tell from the photos if they were thin folding sticks which collapse smaller than the heavier type where one shaft collapses into the other? That might make a difference, but we have not seen/heard any clear statement to that effect.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Are you guys all talking about walking sticks or the metal poles? My husband wanted to buy walking sticks in Spain and bring them home. It's good to know we can ship them back via Correo in Santiago.

Do most people prefer the metal poles over sticks? I was only going to carry a stick for protection in case of a wild dog or wild human, lol. The pole advantage would be that it's lighter but I don't think it would be helpful in self defense against a dog as from what I have heard, they are collapsable, isn't that correct?

Do most people prefer the metal poles over sticks? I was only going to carry a stick for protection in case of a wild dog or wild human, lol. The pole advantage would be that it's lighter but I don't think it would be helpful in self defense against a dog as from what I have heard, they are collapsable, isn't that correct?
Let me unpack this:
  • I think I saw more technical walking or trekking poles than wooden staffs, but that might be confirmation bias at work. I tend not to walk counting the number of people using one or the other, nor how many people are wearing boots compared to shoes, or many of the other things that might create an interesting statistical sample.
  • If you are only going to use them for self protection, it would surprise me if they were ever used, unless you went about deliberately poking the bear (or dog, etc).
  • almost all technical poles are collapsible, but not in a way that would prevent them being used as a defensive weapon should you want to do that.
Most people who do use technical poles will tell you that there are many other benefits to be had from them. But we also acknowledge that many people walk quite successfully without taking advantage of those benefits.

Let me unpack this:
  • I think I saw more technical walking or trekking poles than wooden staffs, but that might be confirmation bias at work. I tend not to walk counting the number of people using one or the other, nor how many people are wearing boots compared to shoes, or many of the other things that might create an interesting statistical sample.
  • If you are only going to use them for self protection, it would surprise me if they were ever used, unless you went about deliberately poking the bear (or dog, etc).
  • almost all technical poles are collapsible, but not in a way that would prevent them being used as a defensive weapon should you want to do that.
Most people who do use technical poles will tell you that there are many other benefits to be had from them. But we also acknowledge that many people walk quite successfully without taking advantage of those benefits.
Ok, thank you Doug! I appreciate that breakdown. You made me laugh because your comment about noticing shoes reminded me of a woman I once had lunch with (kind of haughty) and she was looking down at my shoes so long she ran into a concrete column and hit her head! lol

I think I will go with the poles then for practicality and my husband is very stubborn about wanting sticks (I think more to fondly gaze at for years) so we will cover the gamut!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband wanted to buy walking sticks in Spain and bring them home. It's good to know we can ship them back via Correo in Santiago.
It may be harder or more expensive to ship wooden walking sticks since they won't collapse down in size to fit into a box or tube.

It may be harder or more expensive to ship wooden walking sticks since they won't collapse down in size to fit into a box or tube.
I think that I was lucky. I brought back a 135 cm ash staff from the UK many years ago, and just put it in the back of the overhead bin. It went back and forth to the UK once more a few years later when I went to study for a year.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
almost all technical poles are collapsible, but not in a way that would prevent them being used as a defensive weapon should you want to do that.

There’s a fine distinction to be made here. This may well be UK specific; but the general principle is transferable.

A bricklayer can often be found; unsurprisingly, carrying a brick. It’s a customary part of their occupation and nothing to worry about.

If; however, the bricklayer were to decide to go for a few drinks after work and take the same brick with him, purely for purposes of self defence, he or she would almost undoubtedly be carrying an offensive weapon and committing a criminal offence.

Context is everything.

Do carry on.

There’s a fine distinction to be made here. This may well be UK specific; but the general principle is transferable.

A bricklayer can often be found; unsurprisingly, carrying a brick. It’s a customary part of their occupation and nothing to worry about.

If; however, the bricklayer were to decide to go for a few drinks after work and take the same brick with him, purely for purposes of self defence, he or she would almost undoubtedly be carrying an offensive weapon and committing a criminal offence.

Context is everything.

Do carry on.
You'll forgive me for saying that is quite incomprehensible!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I walked El Camino Frances in 2017. I am about to hike Del Norte in Oct.2023. When I walked the first time I made a draw string bag out of ripstop nylon (with a handle on the side for tags) for my backpack and poles so I could check my things on rather than carry everything around several airports. This worked so well the first time that for 2 other long distance hikes I did the same. You might say...well what if my luggage gets lost? I'm not going to lie, it's a worry but so far so good and I will do the same this Fall.

Someone posted in America a photo of them getting ready to board a plane out of Sacrament, CA for their trip to Camino.
Hello from SacramentO, CA! Members of our AOIC chapter here (“Sacramento Pilgrims”) universally report that they successfully carry their poles on-board at our local airport as part of their carry-on packs. But our local TSA agents are friendly (“Sacramento Nice”!). Similar good news from airports in the San Francisco Bay Area.

HOWEVER, it truly is up to the discretion of the TSA agent, the airlines, and individual flight crew members. In short, you just never know. Once out of the USA (connecting/transiting/returning), different rules apply and it’s generally “NO POLES” unless they are walking aids for a disability.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Per the description, I believe these were Black Diamond FLZ type, three-segment carbon fiber poles. When taken apart - still attached by the silicone cord - they are short enough to go into a large padded mailing envelope or a checked rucksack.

I usually check my rucksack with the poles inside. I wrap them in my travel towel so as to not puncture anything else in the rucksack. On arrival, I repack anyway.

These hiking poles retail for more than USD $100 the pair. I know - I have two pair. So, mailing two pair home for €28 Euro may be the best deal yet. it is cheaper than checking separately. If you are intent on carrying on your rucksack, placing the hiking poles and any other "sharps" in this parcel to be mailed home, may emerge as a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hiking poles by Decathlon 6 /7 euro stuk after de camino no poles ar home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is the family that we’re leaving out of CA and cleared TSA with their hiking poles. I’m only pleading for information as my hiking poles here have been with me for over 18 years, and as a hiker in the PNW, they have mean a lot to me. So, if they were confiscated by TSA, I would be heartsick. However, if they are allowed, then to take Mt trusty own poles would be grand.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 4.14.02 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 4.14.02 PM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Here is the family that we’re leaving out of CA and cleared TSA with their hiking poles. I’m only pleading for information as my hiking poles here have been with me for over 18 years, and as a hiker in the PNW, they have mean a lot to me. So, if they were confiscated by TSA, I would be heartsick. However, if they are allowed, then to take Mt trusty own poles would be grand.
The information is in the post that I linked to above. There is no guarantee that your poles will be allowed, though the vast majority are.

If your ticket includes a free checked bag then you could check the poles in. You can put them in a box, tube, or cheap duffel bag that you can donate after arrival. Be aware that a box or tube may not come out on the luggage carousel - you would have to look for where they have the odd sized luggage.

Here is the family that we’re leaving out of CA and cleared TSA with their hiking poles.
It appears that they have the thicker regular poles rather than the tri-fold.

I’m only pleading for information as my hiking poles here have been with me for over 18 years, and as a hiker in the PNW, they have mean a lot to me. So, if they were confiscated by TSA, I would be heartsick.
Unfortunately virtually all of the additional "information" you might get will be anecdotal evidence for and against. Are you leaving from that same airport? If so, you might be in luck but cannot be sure. If not, you simply have no idea.

No matter what the airport, it is easy to be prepared. Our info thread suggests...
If you take your poles to security, in hopes of carrying them on board, you should be prepared to have them refused. Then, you will need to abandon them (they are not actually "confiscated") or you will need to go back to the check-in desk and send your poles as checked baggage. You should have a suitable bag or packaging to do that, and you must allow lots of time! You will need to go through security again.
If you need to check them after all, you will have the inconvenience of having to pick them up at your destination, but it should avoid the heartbreak! :D Take a box or packaging, tape, etc., and if you don't need to use it, discard it after you have passed through security. Simple. No need to be too anxious - just be prepared and early to the airport.

€60,-
The problem is not the size or weight of the cabin luggage. Important is to recognize, that poles are not allowed in the cabin. You have to oder "extra luggage" which will come down in the plane. For a Ryanair flight cologne to Biarritz you pay 40€ for 23Kg.
True, but I meant you can buy a 10kg *checked* (ie. luggage hold) piece of luggage with Ryanair for about the same price as it would cost you to bring your backpack into the cabin. Then you can strap your poles to the mochilla or if they take apart put them inside. This will let you bring your poles with you for the cheapest cost.

Here is the family that we’re leaving out of CA and cleared TSA with their hiking poles.
As I mentioned previously, those are 100% Camino pilgrims from Sacramento flying out of Sacramento, CA. I know them personally. They flew SMF to Toronto to Lisbon with their hiking poles. Our airport seems to always allow them, as evidenced by hundreds of pilgrims flying from here and reporting zero problems.

HOWEVER, unless YOU are flying from Sacramento, you may have a different experience. Additionally, flying home from Santiago or any other European airport will likely require you to check your poles.

As I mentioned previously, those are 100% Camino pilgrims from Sacramento flying out of Sacramento, CA. I know them personally. They flew SMF to Toronto to Lisbon with their hiking poles. Our airport seems to always allow them, as evidenced by hundreds of pilgrims flying from here and reporting zero problems.

HOWEVER, unless YOU are flying from Sacramento, you may have a different experience. Additionally, flying home from Santiago or any other European airport will likely require you to check your poles.
Thank you for this helpful reply.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you guys all talking about walking sticks or the metal poles? My husband wanted to buy walking sticks in Spain and bring them home. It's good to know we can ship them back via Correo in Santiago.

Um, I can't speak for most people. But I can speak from experience. Against a guard dog who isn't chained, I raise both of my trekking poles above my head and yell and I look like a crazy dragon. They retreat. I have a funny story tho, about a peregrina, who complained that walking with one wooden stick "adjusted her appearance." She didn't switch arms.

Starting Camino in 2 weeks and worried about this, is it ok if the poles are inside our backpacks as checked in luggage, not carry on, we will be wrapping the backpacks in cling wrap at the South African Airport and only opening after arrival in Spain. Please help? I have to use my poles (L5/S1 Fusion of the spine)

Starting Camino in 2 weeks and worried about this, is it ok if the poles are inside our backpacks as checked in luggage, not carry on, we will be wrapping the backpacks in cling wrap at the South African Airport and only opening after arrival in Spain. Please help? I have to use my poles (L5/S1 Fusion of the spine)
Yes, this only applies to carry on luggage. No problem putting them in a checked bag.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In the past I have taken my poles on Ryanair (not in the cabin) for free from Santiago, only to have them confiscated at the Madrid airport going home to the US. I no longer bother with any of it. I purchase the cheapest ones available at Decathlon after I get to Spain (or wherever), and leave them behind when I finish...no more disappointments.
Seems like more and more find this the only reasonable option. However, it has downstream consequences, I imagine: poles (given away or otherwise) pile up at the terminus points of the Camino.

Has anyone heard of anyone collecting poles at, say, Santiago and dropping them off at key starting points like, say Learn, Burgos or SJPdP?

Seems inevitable that some enterprising soul might hatch hatch a scheme (hopefully dontivo in the spirit of the Camino). It would reduce the many one-off purchases at Decathlon and possibly reduce the potential for disposed "junk" to pile up in inconvenient/inappropriate places. I wonder if the backpack transport companies might consider a donativo 'pole boomerang' option as a good will gesture as they return from end points. This wouldn't be hard to organize.

The question's been asked in another thread on this topic - but the bottom line is that the luggage and taxi and mail companies who handle forward transport don't do it for free. And Decathalon wouldn't be likely to encourage something that cuts into their sales...

...nice idea, but not sure who's willing to take it on.

Just an update...our poles arrived today from Santiago about 1 and 1/2 weeks after we mailed them. They were unharmed being packaged in a padded envelope. So glad we chose this option since we paid about $100 for each pair. For us, it was well worth the money to ship them home. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Um, I can't speak for most people. But I can speak from experience. Against a guard dog who isn't chained, I raise both of my trekking poles above my head and yell and I look like a crazy dragon. They retreat. I have a funny story tho, about a peregrina, who complained that walking with one wooden stick "adjusted her appearance." She didn't switch arms.
Great advice! I'm more afraid of small dogs...I've been bit twice by a chiwawa!

Seems like more and more find this the only reasonable option. However, it has downstream consequences, I imagine: poles (given away or otherwise) pile up at the terminus points of the Camino.
Wishing to try out using poles ahead of buying for the first time, I borrowed two similar from the pilgrim office in Santiago earlier this week. The bin I was to chose from had about 10 + max (all odd, no pairs) and there was maybe 7 wooden poles available alongside. Maybe they have others put away or they are being called upon frequently?

I have carried PacerPoles on the plane clearing TSA from DFW, JFK, PDX, EUG, ATL, LGA, and SLC without any issues---this is representing 12 departures from the US--some of these airports I have departed from more than once with poles. I have returned with them on my backpack from MAD, ORY, CDG, LYS, PUF, TLS and SCQ--European airports. I bought a cheap camera tripod case on Amazon and I put my poles in it stacked head-to-toe, zip it, and run my backpack side straps through the handles to secure them to the backpack and tuck the bottom end of the packed tripod case in the cup netting at the side of the backpack. In June of this year I actually carried two sets of poles from the US to CDG and on to PUF attached to my backpack--taking a set for my daughter who was meeting me to walk a bit. My rational for the tripod case is if I am ever stopped from carrying them onboard, I can then just check them in their case and be fine. So far, 100% passing TSA rate.

€149,-
Sigh. As with many other topics, the individual 's mileage will vary. Could we perhaps just summarize the state of play?

Dear OPs past, present, and future:

IN GENERAL, most country's airline regulations as of 2023 discourage or prohibit taking hiking or trekking poles on board an aircraft as carry on luggage.

IN GENERAL, you may choose to check the poles. Whether or not you pay a fee for such checkin depends upon your airline ticket.

Should you be so lucky as to make it through your origination airport with them in your carry on, this luck may or may not continue through any connecting or return airports.

Should your luck run out, your only recourse will be to either check said poles, if the option is available, or discard them, if not.

In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "Do you feel lucky?"

Sigh. As with many other topics, the individual 's mileage will vary. Could we perhaps just summarize the state of play?

IN GENERAL, most country's airline regulations as of 2023 discourage or prohibit taking hiking or trekking poles on board an aircraft as carry on luggage.

IN GENERAL, you may choose to check the poles. Whether or not you pay a fee for such checkin depends upon your airline ticket.

Should you be so lucky as to make it through your origination airport with them in your carry on, this luck may or may not continue through any connecting or return airports.

Should your luck run out, your only recourse will be to either check said poles, if the option is available, or discard them, if not.

Agree, great summary, I find it quite surprising that so many ppl want to take poles as carry on, you can’t carry a knife on board which is obvious to most, poles with their carbide tips can be a much more dangerous “weapon” than a pocket knife…

you can’t carry a knife on board which is obvious to most
It may be obvious to some. Others - if not most - will know that they can take their pocket knife in their backpack into the cabin when departing on their flights from SCQ (Santiago) airport and with the full knowledge of security staff - at SCQ, the airport and its past and current regulations and rules which are the initial topic of this thread.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have carried PacerPoles on the plane clearing TSA from DFW, JFK, PDX, EUG, ATL, LGA, and SLC without any issues---this is representing 12 departures from the US--some of these airports I have departed from more than once with poles. I have returned with them on my backpack from MAD, ORY, CDG, LYS, PUF, TLS and SCQ--European airports. I bought a cheap camera tripod case on Amazon and I put my poles in it stacked head-to-toe, zip it, and run my backpack side straps through the handles to secure them to the backpack and tuck the bottom end of the packed tripod case in the cup netting at the side of the backpack. In June of this year I actually carried two sets of poles from the US to CDG and on to PUF attached to my backpack--taking a set for my daughter who was meeting me to walk a bit. My rational for the tripod case is if I am ever stopped from carrying them onboard, I can then just check them in their case and be fine. So far, 100% passing TSA rate.
Point of my post was that this was the case for SCQ in the past, but since earlier this year there's been an official change of policy meaning you'll be pretty unlikely to get away with it from this airport any more. Other airports though might have different rules.

It’s the topic that will never die.

These threads usually start with someone posting a ‘Can I …?’ question.

The only responsible answer to which is ‘probably not’.

The many, genuine ‘I did and it was OK’ replies are fine; but the respondent will not be there to take any responsibility for their advice. The rules, where they are published are clear; but the application of them is inconsistent.

The only certainty is that there’ll be another similar thread within a month.

The ‘two stamps’ threads follow the same pattern. The rule is clear, but the application varies. The exceptions do not exclude the application of the rule.
Following the rule avoids the possibility of it being applied.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This post remains a good summary. It has been updated to reflect the change in policy/practice in Santiago.
Thank you for updating this post.

NB, you are being a little modest. It is not merely a good summary, but an excellent summary. More, anyone who wants to start a thread a about transporting poles in aircraft should be required to prove they have read this first!!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back