• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Worried about waymarking from Lisbon.

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Dear all,

I have read a lot about the Portuguese route fron Lisbon and many times discussions mention the long stretches between towns. However I am more worried about the way marking. Are these frequent and easily found along the route. I have the impression that the part between Lisbon and Porto is less marked.

This is important for me as I intend to start my walking early in the morning especailly in the longer walks and bearing in mind that this route is not that frequented as other routes.

Could anyone who is familiar with this route guide me about this.

Thank you and buen camino,

Ray Aquilina

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excellent waymarking. We walked without any problem from Lisbon to Porto
Take the Brierley or Vialusitana guide with you and there is no bother at all

Buen caminho

Dear all,

I have read a lot about the Portuguese route fron Lisbon and many times discussions mention the long stretches between towns. However I am more worried about the way marking. Are these frequent and easily found along the route. I have the impression that the part between Lisbon and Porto is less marked.

This is important for me as I intend to start my walking early in the morning especailly in the longer walks and bearing in mind that this route is not that frequented as other routes.

Ray Aquilina

You won't have any problems. It's very well marked ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a different experience and found the waymarking before Porto to be challenging in many locations, particularly before dawn and during some rain. That said, we were never seriously lost. When I could, I downloaded a Google map of the area for the next day's walk on my iPhone. That and some common sense got us through. Some places we were definitely not able to follow the exact trail but we tried and we also forgave ourselves when we did not. It should not be a major worry unless you are someone who has to be on the exact "correct" trail for every step. Bom Caminho!

No problem at all. We used the Brierley guide and never faced any problems about finding our way.
I read Laurie's (Aka peregrina2000) pdf document the other day and compared it with the Brierley guide in my hand and memorised allmost every step from Lisbon to Santiago.

Last edited:
Dear all,

Ray Aquilina

Hi, Ray,
The nice thing about the forum-produced guide to the Lisbon-Porto section https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/

is that I have tried to include descriptions from 2014 pilgrims of places where they had trouble finding the arrows and how they found their way. No one, by the way, reported any serious problems. You are never out in the wilderness and far from civilization, so "getting lost" usually means you walk a km or two out of your way. But there should be absolutely no worry. I walked alone in 2009 and once or twice I got turned around but I always was able to get where I was going. And since then I know there have been tremendous improvements in signage and arrows.

For added security, though, you could carry with you the SOS pilgrim phone number. It's staffed by members of Via Lusitana, they speak English and other languages, and you can call them any time day or night. Particularly with Lisbon-Porto, they know the route by heart and can help you out in a pinch. The number is in the guide I linked to or on the Via Lusitana's website.

Bom caminho, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Ray,
The nice thing about the forum-produced guide to the Lisbon-Porto section https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/

is that I have tried to include descriptions from 2014 pilgrims of places where they had trouble finding the arrows and how they found their way. No one, by the way, reported any serious problems. You are never out in the wilderness and far from civilization, so "getting lost" usually means you walk a km or two out of your way. But there should be absolutely no worry. I walked alone in 2009 and once or twice I got turned around but I always was able to get where I was going. And since then I know there have been tremendous improvements in signage and arrows.

For added security, though, you could carry with you the SOS pilgrim phone number. It's staffed by members of Via Lusitana, they speak English and other languages, and you can call them any time day or night. Particularly with Lisbon-Porto, they know the route by heart and can help you out in a pinch. The number is in the guide I linked to or on the Via Lusitana's website.

Bom caminho, Laurie

Thank you Laurie for your input and also thank all the others who have contributed about this point. I can understand I will never be out of civilization. Being a bit of perfectionist I would like to follow the actual route as much as possible!! Moroever as you say it is important to carry the SOS contact number which I am sure gives important support.

I will keep the forum guidbook as my means of reference.

Best regards,

Ray

Just keep in mind that the "actual" path changes somewhat often. There were several places clearly changed from at least the latest Brierley guide. Paths get adjusted and rerouted for lots of reasons so while it is great to do the "actual" path, don't think there is anything all that historic or magical to any two meter wide part of it.

Just keep in mind that the "actual" path changes somewhat often. There were several places clearly changed from at least the latest Brierley guide. Paths get adjusted and rerouted for lots of reasons so while it is great to do the "actual" path, don't think there is anything all that historic or magical to any two meter wide part of it.

That's a great point, Michael. There are records about which towns the Caminho passed through, but it's unlikely that those records include a metes and bounds description of the path itself. I think it's most likely that the Caminho (and all the other Caminos) went on what are now the main highways. So, deviation is a blessing.

The paths do keep changing, as the towns and the ViaLusitana work hard to get pilgrims off the side of the road. I think the resource from the forum has incorporated a lot of the ones that have happened in the last year, but you can expect there to be a few new ones as well, I'm sure. So, Ray, if you use the forum guide and note changes, we'd love to hear from you about them to update for next year! Thanks and bom caminho, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's a great point, Michael. There are records about which towns the Caminho passed through, but it's unlikely that those records include a metes and bounds description of the path itself. I think it's most likely that the Caminho (and all the other Caminos) went on what are now the main highways. So, deviation is a blessing.

The paths do keep changing, as the towns and the ViaLusitana work hard to get pilgrims off the side of the road. I think the resource from the forum has incorporated a lot of the ones that have happened in the last year, but you can expect there to be a few new ones as well, I'm sure. So, Ray, if you use the forum guide and note changes, we'd love to hear from you about them to update for next year! Thanks and bom caminho, Laurie

Definitly will let you know of any changes and updates.

Thanks,

Ray

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...
Day 3 was another wonderful day spent along the coast. I planned a short day so I could meander and explore Vila do Conde which did not disappoint! The day included walking on boardwalks and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back