• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Signs/waymarkers Coastal Portuguese

Spiritual Lady

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked half the French in 2014 and would like to walk the whole this year, 2020.
Hi
Could anytime tell me whether the portuguese coastal camino is well signed enroute?
Many thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hostels along the coastal seemed to cater to both pilgrims and beachgoers. In August there are many beachgoers, so plan accordingly. Some of the albergues are exclusively for pilgrims.

Well marked. Never lost the track. If you are uncertain, just walk straight ahead until the next sign.
Brilliant. Did you stay in muncipal albergues? I am walking in August so it might be a mad scramble to get into the municipal albergues?

Hostels along the coastal seemed to cater to both pilgrims and beachgoers. In August there are many beachgoers, so plan accordingly. Some of the albergues are exclusively for pilgrims.
Thank you for your reply. I cant plan where I am going to stay as I dont know how long I will be walking each day.
I will book the 1st night in Porto.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Brilliant. Did you stay in muncipal albergues? I am walking in August so it might be a mad scramble to get into the municipal albergues?
Mixed. I did stay in private, parochial and municipal Albergues.
My itinary:
Porto: private (Albergue de Peregrinos Porto)
Vila do Conde: municipal (Santa Clara)
Esposende: private (Sleep and go)
Viana do Castelo: parochial (Sao Joao)
Caminha / Seixas: parochial (Sao Bento)
Tui: private (Albergue Pallanes)
Redondela: private (Albergue Vilavella)
A Cancela: private / donativo (Albergue Portela)
Valga: municipal (Albergue de O Pino)
Milladoiro: municipal (Albergue Milladoiro)
SdC: private small Inn (totally overcrowded due to the Catholic Youth Assembling in Lisbon on the next weekend)

HTH
Roland

Thank you for your reply. I cant plan where I am going to stay as I dont know how long I will be walking each day.
I will book the 1st night in Porto.
Hi Spiritual Lady!
Just my opinion; but Porto is defo worth more than one night if you can stay longer! (and in budget)
I would also recommend the Espiritual Variant from Pontevedra as far as my coastal was concerned the highlight!
Regarding booking and the time of year i walked Sept 2021 and had no problem with a bed as i had booked. (also in the pandemic)
I stayed in Hostels Hotels and Casa Rurals
Based on Compostela's these are approx numbers ; some pilgrims don't bother with a Compostela.
In 2021 about 7800 walked the coastal.
In 2023 in excess of 52700 walked it.
A large increase; this does not mean you will not get a bed but perhaps book one or two days ahead as you go.
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody

If you are planning to walk any section of the Senda Litoral, it is also now well-marked. Just be aware that after A Ramallosa, the Senda Litoral arrows are green instead of yellow for the initial steps!! This part is newly marked, and you can find more info at the tourist office in A Ramallosa. Plus, many, many pilgrims now walk this section from A Ramallosa to Vigo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mixed. I did stay in private, parochial and municipal Albergues.
My itinary:
Porto: private (Albergue de Peregrinos Porto)
Vila do Conde: municipal (Santa Clara)
Esposende: private (Sleep and go)
Viana do Castelo: parochial (Sao Joao)
Caminha / Seixas: parochial (Sao Bento)
Tui: private (Albergue Pallanes)
Redondela: private (Albergue Vilavella)
A Cancela: private / donativo (Albergue Portela)
Valga: municipal (Albergue de O Pino)
Milladoiro: municipal (Albergue Milladoiro)
SdC: private small Inn (totally overcrowded due to the Catholic Youth Assembling in Lisbon on the next weekend)

HTH
Roland
Thats Brilliant.
What are thr parochial? Last question.....how much did you
roughly spend with 12 days walking. I have to budget this year.

Parochial: church based / owned. The Albergue Sao Joao i.e. is a really vast convent.

In average I spent 27€ per day (8-15€ for the night, 3-5€ for breakfast (try to avoid the tourist traps) and the rest on dinner or drinks and fruits).

Ate only on 2 occasions in the Albergue. In Esposende, where all Pilgrims cooked Pasta romana (2 italian pilgrims prepared the main dish, I met them the day before in Vila do Conde) and in the Albergue Portela, where the Hospitalero prepared a vegetarian meal for all pilgrims.
You could go cheaper, but my budget was not as limited like in 2019, as I walked the CF.

As mentioned in this thread: Porto is indeed a wonderful, charming city, not too expensive. I stayed there for 3 extra relaxing days after returning from SdC (beach, bars and sundowns) and spent ~190€ for ***Hotel, Transportation, Activities, a bit of shopping and food/drinks in these 3 days.

Hope you have a wonderful experience on you Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Parochial: church based / owned. The Albergue Sao Joao i.e. is a really vast convent.

In average I spent 27€ per day (8-15€ for the night, 3-5€ for breakfast (try to avoid the tourist traps) and the rest on dinner or drinks and fruits).

Ate only on 2 occasions in the Albergue. In Esposende, where all Pilgrims cooked Pasta romana (2 italian pilgrims prepared the main dish, I met them the day before in Vila do Conde) and in the Albergue Portela, where the Hospitalero prepared a vegetarian meal for all pilgrims.
You could go cheaper, but my budget was not as limited like in 2019, as I walked the CF.

As mentioned in this thread: Porto is indeed a wonderful, charming city, not too expensive. I stayed there for 3 extra relaxing days after returning from SdC (beach, bars and sundowns) and spent ~190€ for ***Hotel, Transportation, Activities, a bit of shopping and food/drinks in these 3 days.

Hope you have a wonderful experience on you Camino.
Thank you so much for your information, which is greatly received.
I am excited....I walked the French Camino in 2014 ....it feels a lifetime ago.
I am still undecided on the coastal route or the traditional central route. A big part of me wants to be by that Wild Atlantic Coast but another wants to walk within the shade and trees. I will be walking in August which I know is peak season but alas the primary school I teach in does not allow holidays out of term time.

I like the idea of the parachial accommodation.

I am walking as a pilgrim and hopefully it will be a spiritual experience for me after a few tough years.

If you think of anything else, please do not hesitate to get back in touch. I will spend an extra night in Porto before I start the Camino. I have already been to Santiago, so I am more interested in Porto this time.

I am going to allow myself 17 days with a few extra days.

BTW the flights with BA from the UK are really good value. Cheaper than Easyjet as their add on's are not as steep as the budget airlines.

Angie

Hi Spiritual Lady!
Just my opinion; but Porto is defo worth more than one night if you can stay longer! (and in budget)
I would also recommend the Espiritual Variant from Pontevedra as far as my coastal was concerned the highlight!
Regarding booking and the time of year i walked Sept 2021 and had no problem with a bed as i had booked. (also in the pandemic)
I stayed in Hostels Hotels and Casa Rurals
Based on Compostela's these are approx numbers ; some pilgrims don't bother with a Compostela.
In 2021 about 7800 walked the coastal.
In 2023 in excess of 52700 walked it.
A large increase; this does not mean you will not get a bed but perhaps book one or two days ahead as you go.
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody
Thanks Woody that is great info. I am reluctant to book in advance for accommodation apart from Porto (where did you stay and how much was it?) as I don't know how long I will be walking for each day. I .will just have to get up early and walk till first light for breakfast. I've got the Brierley book that has a few numbers in. I am on a budget this year. I was going to buy a pop up tent but then I thought I might be isolating myself as travelling alone.

Are the Casa Rurals on the main coastal route? How did you find out about them and how to find a list of their accommodation?

Thank you again.

Angie

Hi Angie!
I stayed at the Mayors Apartments in Porto; but as your on a budget it's not viable for you as mega bucks!
I checked the prices of five of my stays along the way ; i went in mid September so picked dates in August this year to see the approx prices on Booking.com now!
They now range from £50 to £70 quid for one night.
So i think Roland49's advice is very helpful it also depends whether you want a private room/or bunk bed or private/or shared bathroom !
Gronze is a great website and Google will translate to English!It has all places to stay along the Camino Albergues, Hostals, Hotels, and Casa Rurals.
Web links and telephone numbers to places and prices. Gronze also has booking.com links to some of them where you can see images and user reviews it also offers free cancellation up to a couple of days before you arrive!
LINK
If you go through each stage of the walk on Gronze you can see what your options are! It' part of the fun:)
Hope you have some success.

As Chivas was the casa rural and that came out at £50 you can find it on Gronze.

All the best
Buen Camino
Woody
Edit: just a thought if you are two nights in Porto and two nights in Santiago that leaves 13 walking days about 20km a day if you think that's doable your on a winner!!!!!!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you so much for your information, which is greatly received.
I am excited....I walked the French Camino in 2014 ....it feels a lifetime ago.
I am still undecided on the coastal route or the traditional central route. A big part of me wants to be by that Wild Atlantic Coast but another wants to walk within the shade and trees. I will be walking in August which I know is peak season but alas the primary school I teach in does not allow holidays out of term time.

I like the idea of the parachial accommodation.

I am walking as a pilgrim and hopefully it will be a spiritual experience for me after a few tough years.

If you think of anything else, please do not hesitate to get back in touch. I will spend an extra night in Porto before I start the Camino. I have already been to Santiago, so I am more interested in Porto this time.

I am going to allow myself 17 days with a few extra days.

BTW the flights with BA from the UK are really good value. Cheaper than Easyjet as their add on's are not as steep as the budget airlines.

Angie
I am walking from Porto and am doing a combination, littoral out of Porto then the coastal til Caminho then onto the central til the espiriual. I like the idea of exploring 3 different Caminos in one.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back