Young Australian first timer June09

Korine

Jan 7, 2009
Hi all,

I am a new pilgrim planning to walk Camino Frances for the first time in June/July 2009. I am 20yr old Australian female and slightly worried about walking the camino alone, i have never been overseas before but feel a great desire to walk the camino from SJPP. If anyone has any tips/advice for me, or are planning to walk same time as me, i would love to hear from you :D

Buen Camino!
Korine

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

jl

Veteran Member
May 30, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
Hello Korine and welcome to the forum. You will be walking at a time when there will be lots of others on the path and you will no doubt make friends very quickly. You will be able to choose if you will walk with others for all or part of the day, or whether you will walk alone and enjoy the solitude. You will find that others on the Camino will look out for you (as you will for them) if you need help and encouragement. Take time to explore the threads on this forum there is much of immense value here. regards, Janet

Arn

Veteran Member
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
Hi Korine...and Welcome to the Forum.

You will find the Forum full of information that will cover just about everyone of your questions AND concerns. The folks that populate this Forum are either veteran peregrinos who have walked the many Caminos to Santiago, are planning to walk or may never take one physical step along the Way, but are with each of us as we do.

May I suggest that you view the FAQ and Class of 2009 threads. There you will find many answers to your questions and begin to know who will be walking the Way this year with you. From there on you're part of the family.

Buen Camino
Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

sharon w

Jan 2, 2009
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Korine,
Don't be worried about walking by yourself. We met quite a few girls doing the camino by themselves. It is one of the best things that you will ever do in your life.You will meet many people along the way who will become good friends. Some of us who walked the camino in 2007 are having a reunion in 2012.
From another Aussie,
Sharon

john_haynes

Dec 13, 2008
hi korine
i'm a pilgrim first timer too, this site has helped me immensley and the people on here are great, so i'm guessing that there'll be loads of fantastic people to meet on the camino. Are you as nervous and excited as me, i can't wait :lol:

Arn

Veteran Member
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
John...welcome!

It's obvious by your posting above that you're in the mode to absorb as much as the Forum can give and...give it will!

Walking the Way will return benefits to you that will remain with you life long.

Stay involved...keep us with you and let us know how it's going on your Camino.

Buen Camino,
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

crackmrmac

Veteran Member
Jun 22, 2007
Ireland
Hi Korine,

Go for it. Yes, you will be a long way from home but it will be a great adventure.
Prepare yourself well. You'll get lots of advice and tips here just as I and countless other pilgrims did.
Even another first timer, John is giving encouragement.

Buen Camino

Brian.

Korine said:
Hi all,

I am a new pilgrim planning to walk Camino Frances for the first time in June/July 2009. I am 20yr old Australian female and slightly worried about walking the camino alone, i have never been overseas before but feel a great desire to walk the camino from SJPP. If anyone has any tips/advice for me, or are planning to walk same time as me, i would love to hear from you :D

Buen Camino!
Korine

Hi, Korine

First of all, welcome to the forum.

From the experience on the Camino, you have nothing to be worried about walking alone, being 20yr or even younger. And, believe me, alone only if you want, after the second or even the first day, possibly you will find other pilgrims to walk with. Only if you want, you always can choose if you prefer to walk alone or with somebody, for just a couple of hours or for the whole Camino.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

sarahc

Dec 18, 2008
Hi Korine,

I will also be walking alone this summer. I am going to try to start from SJPP around 17 June. I am also a little bit on the excitingly nervous side, but overall Ifeel really confident about being a young(ish) female on my own. Maybe I'll see you on the trail!

Peace,
Sarah

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides