• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

YOUR CAMINO -on foot, bicycle or horseback - in France and S

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I am thrilled to share with you all advance notification of a new Camino book called
'YOUR CAMINO -on foot, bicycle or horseback - in France and Spain"
soon to be published by Pilgrimage Publications.

Not a pilgrim story, not a guide but a rather compendious +280-page reference book for everything to do with planning a Camino on foot, by bike, in a wheelchair, on horseback, with children, with a donkey or a dog, in France and Spain.

It has verything from backpacks and baggage transfers, trails and tapas, rail links and relics, how to get there, Holy Years and hotel bookings.

It started in 2003 with "Sylvia's Top Tips" on the Santiago-Compostela.net forum and grew to 79 pages of FAQs and a Camino blog. It had to become a book!

Nearly every question ever asked on a Camino Forum has been answered in this guide - from hiring a camel on the Camino to planning a wedding in Santiago's Cathedral.

No firm date yet but coming soon!

More info here: http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2011/03/your-camino.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
'Your Camino' not only provides a wealth of information in book form, but also a 'virtual pilgrimage' youtube channel that is slowly filling with video tips and tutorials on everything from the scenery of the Pyrenees mountains to boot lacing tips to avoid blisters!

http://www.youtube.com/user/YourCamino

Feel free to send suggestions for videos you'd like to see and we'll get working on them.
The aim is to move with the times and provide a visual, virtual planning resource to compliment your book.

"Your Camino" - a book for planning your Camino in France or Spain will be available on Amazon by the first week of August. The English confraternities will receive complimentary copies to use as a resource.

I am really proud of this book! Its taken about 7 years to collect all the information, web links, frequently asked questions and answers all compiled into 330 pages of information on planning for a Camino on foot, bicycle or horseback.

I'm hoping that wanna-be pilgrims will use it and abuse it by highlighting whole sections, underline paragraphs, scribble in it, paste sticky reminders in it and totally dog-ear the pages as they plan their Camino!

Nearly every published book is out-of-date before it hits the bookshops so I'm also hoping that readers will let me know if there are questions unanswered or web links that don't work so that I can post regular updates on the website until we need to do a second print.

Advance copies can be ordered via Pilgrimage Publications website. http://www.pilgrimagepublications.com/y ... chase.html

More info here: http://www.yourcamino.weebly.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So here I am sitting drinking a cup of tea reflecting on the fact that there is no news about the missing Codex.

Then sil says that she's just about to publish a book telling pilgrims everything they need to know about how to prepare for going on the Camino.

The Codex was the 12c equivalent. It idly crossed my mind , was this the last piece of information that she needed to complete the book?

Are the 2 connected?

Surely not? :D

Wish you well.

:D No - I do not warn about poisonous rivers, bloodthirsty bandits or lascivious old men in short hairy tunics!

Yes, Paul and Babette stepped in when Cicerone cancelled the project at the end of last year. I am SO grateful to them and I believe that this book will be a great help to anyone planning a Camino - or any long trek.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
congratulations Sil
one of my first memories when joining this site
was of you
and the way you answered every question in great detail
with the greatest encouragement
asif it was the first time that the question had been asked
and asif it was the first time youd given an answer
i can say with no fear of contradiction
that your input was instrumental in me having a successful and memorable camino
thank you
moochas mwahs
tam

Awe.... that is such a nice thing to say.
Thank you, gracias, dankie, ngiyabonga!

YOUR CAMINO consists of 18 chapters (330 pages) of information for pilgrims (able and disabled) planning a Camino on foot, by bicycle, or on horseback, with children, with a dog or a donkey. Each chapter ends with a Pilgrims' Story.
Some Forum members whose stories are in the book include Kay from New Zealand, Barbara, James, Susan Alcorn, Anne, JBGreer, Pieter, AnnieSantiago, Barbara (and Dalie) Glen, Rebekah, Tracy and Falcon.
I received my first copy today. Its like holding a baby in your arms for the first time! Years of planning, nine months of nurturing and hard labour and then this new, shiny object in your hands. Its not perfect but its beautiful - and it mine!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well done Sil. I wish there was a smilie which says, applause.

Now the mundane stuff. When? How much? Where from? ISBN?

Amazon.co.uk ÂŁ15: Barnes & Noble $22.99 : The Book Depository $29.10 : Waterstones ÂŁ15.99 :
Not sure why the different prices? I suppose they just all decide individually.

Paperback: 332 pages
Publisher: Pilgramage Publishing (1 Aug 2011)
Language English
ISBN-10: 2917183160
ISBN-13: 978-2917183168
Product Dimensions: 21.6 x 14 x 1.8 cm

A must have for anyone planning their first, or second or third Camino and an invaluable resource for organisations that offer advice and help to pilgrims planning their Caminos. After years of answering frequently asked questions on Camino forums, the Internet, Camino workshops and on her Camino blog (amaWalker.blogspot.com) Sylvia Nilsen, provides the answers to your questions . Besides providing information and maps on the many different Camino routes in France and Spain (with links to Jacobean routes in other countries) she offers advice on the best time to go and how to get there, planning daily stages, budgets and accommodation, pilgrim and trail etiquette. She enlisted the help of Greg Dedman (Camino pilgrim and backpacking expert) to help with chapters on technology, weather, food and language. Many other experienced pilgrims shared their expertise on subjects as diverse as disabled pilgrims, cycling, trekking with children, horses, donkeys and dogs. There are chapters on clothing and equipment covering boots, shoes, backpacks and sleeping bags, as well as medical matters, relics, Santiago Holy Years and pilgrim statistics. Illustrated with delightful pilgrim characters, this 332-page reference guide covers everything from learning about the Camino on the Internet, in books and DVDs, Confraternities and Forums, to taking a donkey on the trail, and how to 'go' in the woods!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your information on how to arrange a wedding in the cathedral just delights me. Not that I plan to get married any time soon. But the idea that I could if I wanted, all this dressed as a pilgrim after many days on the Camino enchants me.
Thank you.
More than anything else, again, congratulations on this great achievement.
And as Tam said, you always answer queries in the kindest and most thorough way.
Yeah, Sil!

Sil and Greg
Just downloaded your book to my Kindle (instant gratification!)
Looking forward to a great read this weekend.
Thank you!

YOUR CAMINO has had its first review on Amazon.co.uk.
(After so many years of research and hard work on the book It is great to read such positive feedback)

YOUR CAMINO - a Lightfoot Guide to Practical Preparation for a Pilgrimage (Paperback)

Preparing for a Camino and the thought of the challenge ahead can be a daunting task. This guide is akin to a reassuring, extremely informative and wise friend! Forget about trawling through every Camino book and website for the guidance you need - these experienced authors have done it all for you!
This is a vast accumulation of well researched knowledge all set out in a very logical format, offering sound advice in manageable chunks of text. It covers the very basics (which you'll be surprised to find you may not have considered!) to the more in depth and complicated with handy highlighted tips and basic photographs where a visual reference is needed. As if this isn't enough, further reading and useful websites for each topic dealt with are also detailed while the appendices elaborate on some important points such as post-Camino blues, Camino lingo and a training programme! Interesting historical detail and inspirational short stories from ex-pilgrims wet the appetite for adventure while the humorous cartoons remind you to keep a sense of humour during the serious job of planning.
I bought this book to satisfy my curiosity in the Camino de Santiago and my occasional ponderings on walking the route myself. I intended to dip in and out of it as I needed but ended up reading it from cover to cover! It tackles every practicality you could possibly think of, giving encouragement to every type of person, and is truly motivational, whether you have decided to walk a Camino yet or not. I wouldn't say this guide is only for first timers. It provides invaluable support for everyone.
Although the book focuses on routes to Santiago through France and Spain, it would serve equally well as a guide to preparation for any other pilgrimage route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm dying to read this book, Sil and Greg! Even after walking multiple caminos, there are new things to learn and improve upon and I already know it will be a fun read!

Is it available in kindle? Scikowski (previous poster) downloaded it but I can't find a kindle version on the US or UK site of amazon. What am I missing?

lynne

Lynne - it should be available on both - and also on Amazon.de
It will soon be available as an eBook on:

Apple iBooks
AllRomanceeBooks.com
OmniLit.com
Powells.com
eBookMall.com
Diesel-eBooks.com
BooksOnBoard.com
eBooksAboutEverything.com

Davroos - if there are any questions not answered in the book, please let me know. We can add them to the Kindle version right away and will save them to be added to the next print version.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yay! Finally found it in Kindle last night and now I'm half way through and enjoying it thoroughly.

Thanks Sil and Greg - well done and a great read!

lynne

I am doing the Camino and it's not the destination that counts, it's the journey.

To be honest, what a great way to end the book. When I walked my first, it was a Camino, but two and three were pilgrimages.

I really enjoyed the book. This would help many who are planning to go, and I hope the ones who do buy, get as much enjoyment out of it as I did

Thanks for the read

YOUR CAMINO has been out for 6 months this month and I have had a few contacts from readers who have pointed out typos or websites that are not working.

Please - if you have got the book and find any errors in the book, or questions that have not been answered, please let me know. The digital versions are easy to correct but it will take a little longer for the print version to be be corrected.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 JANUARY 2013

YOUR CAMINO has been updated with corrections and changes to services and is now available online and from the Publisher. The new edition has 284 pages instead of 315 and the price has come down from £15.99 to £12.99 and €17.99 to €14.99.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sil,

I had a look in the iBook library, but couldn't find your book...
Is it already published as digital version?

Regards,
FatmaG

After 3 months of updating information, proof reading and checking web links, the 2nd edition of YOUR CAMINO is now available. Great resource for anyone planning a Camino in France or Spain, on foot, bicycle or horseback; chapter for disabled pilgrims, those walking with children, with their dog or a donkey. Available in print and Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/2917183160/?tag=casaivar02-20

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back