• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zugluft

Bluedog

Austin, Texas
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet. Departing from Lisbon on April 17 (2019)
Apparently, this is a real thing. Something like the fear of drafts. I've heard the Koreans think sleeping with a fan on can be deadly. Well the Germans have it too.

18 stinky hikers, myself included, and their not so clean stuff. The vast majority are German. They insist on keeping every window sealed tight even on a nice 65 F night. It's like a big wet stinky sauna in the morning.

Many caught what I like to call “kennel cough” on the way. Not a bad cold but makes hiking a little less pleasant. Seems to persist for a couple of weeks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Apparently, this is a real thing. Something like the fear of drafts. I've heard the Koreans think sleeping with a fan on can be deadly. Well the Germans have it too.
Wunderbar 😂, I hadn't been aware that Zugluft is a culture bound syndrome. I've just amused myself with reading about it on the worldwide web, most of it in German though, so I'm not going to bother with posting links. So apparently Germans are not only known as krauts abroad but also as ziehts. Although the proper spelling would be 's zieht. 😂.

There are also the words pa-leng and frigophobia to explore.

But tread carefully, people. Mention of any kind of nationality often ends in tears and locked threads. It is usually those who are most at ease with the multicultural at large who are not aware of such sensitivities.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
the proper spelling would be 's zieht.
Don't bother to put this into Google Translate who can't cope and will fail miserably at the task of translating this into English, offering either 's pulling or it pulls if you know your German grammar.

But here's an article in English about Draftophobia - Blown Away by the Fear of Air in the German Spiegel magazine and you will learn more about the difference between healthy Lüften and unhealthy Ziehen. Enjoy. :cool:

Last edited:
Hm, I've always found that people from colder climates (irrespective of nationality) tend to want to open the windows on a hot night while people from warmer climates tend to want them closed, often explaining about 'bad air', which supposedly brings disease, I understand there is also a fear of insects. I prefer the window open - lifelong fan of and addict to oxygen - and try to get a bed near the window so I can have some input in the opening of it after someone else has invariably closed it.

Don't bother to put this into Google Translate who can't cope and will fail miserably at the task of translating this into English, offering either 's pulling or it pulls if you know your German grammar.

But here's an article in English about Draftophobia - Blown Away by the Fear of Air in the German Spiegel magazine and you will learn more about the difference between healthy Lüften and unhealthy Ziehen. Enjoy. :cool:

Loved the article about Draftphobia, Kathar1na. Being European of German origin I know all about it. However there are at least some Germans I know who keep their bedroom windows open all night even in the moddle of winter!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Always depends what you are used to. Air conditioner and fans not so much in Germany. My better half from across the ocean loves subcero freezing cold at night, while I like it warm. But draft is a no no for me. But since on the Camino it’s out of my control why worry about it or waist energy on it.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back