Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ourense Detour?

pilgrimjim

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances. 2017
Do Mar/Ingles. 2022
I find myself intrigued by the idea of detouring to Ourense from Chantada and following the Sanabres until the two join together at a Lalin. Has anyone done this or given it consideration?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
dea of detouring to Ourense from Chantada and following the Sanabres until the two join together at a Lalin. Has anyone done this or given it consideration?

I find myself intrigued by the idea of detouring to Ourense from Chantada and following the Sanabres until the two join together at a Lalin. Has anyone done this or given it consideration?

did not walk that detour myself.... I was about to attempt it a few years ago but I was told there were few places to replenish.....situation may have inproved.... but just in case... make sure you have enough supplies en route.. buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Take the detour.

Ourense is a do.

The municipal albergue is minutes from the public thermal bath.

There’s new lodging in Castro Dozón so you will have a place to sleep.

Buen camino

You probably know this is not a part of any established camino, so I think that the best way to find out if there is a walking path (other than the 37 direct km alongside the national highway) is to use Wikiloc. It enables me to find tracks for any route that passes through both Chantada and Ourense.

No walking routes came up, but a few bike routes did.

https://www.wikiloc.com/cycling-trails/ourense-cea-chantada-escairon-ourense-18971320

This is a circular route so it has two options. It looks like you could go to Cea on the Sanabrés and then back down to Ourense, but that would involve backtracking, because the next day the Sanabrés will take you from Ourense to Cea. The other half of that circle starts in Escairón on the Invierno but then you would miss Belesar and crossing the Miño, which would be a shame, IMHO.

Here's another circle on different roads

The other thing would be to look at those wikiloc maps to try to find a place to stay in the middle. The straight shot on the national road is 37 km so maybe you could do that in a day, but all of these biking routes take less traveled roads and that makes the distances longer.

Good luck with this, I'd be interested to know what you decide.

You probably know this is not a part of any established camino, so I think that the best way to find out if there is a walking path (other than the 37 direct km alongside the national highway) is to use Wikiloc. It enables me to find tracks for any route that passes through both Chantada and Ourense.

No walking routes came up, but a few bike routes did.

https://www.wikiloc.com/cycling-trails/ourense-cea-chantada-escairon-ourense-18971320

This is a circular route so it has two options. It looks like you could go to Cea on the Sanabrés and then back down to Ourense, but that would involve backtracking, because the next day the Sanabrés will take you from Ourense to Cea. The other half of that circle starts in Escairón on the Invierno but then you would miss Belesar and crossing the Miño, which would be a shame, IMHO.

Here's another circle on different roads

The other thing would be to look at those wikiloc maps to try to find a place to stay in the middle. The straight shot on the national road is 37 km so maybe you could do that in a day, but all of these biking routes take less traveled roads and that makes the distances longer.

Good luck with this, I'd be interested to know what you decide.
Thanks for all the creative thinking. Because the Invierno is somewhat shorter than two weeks, i thought I’d take a bus from Chantada to Ourense. If I do that, do I lose the chance to get the credencial? (If it does, that would be ok.)
Because the Invierno is shorter than two weeks, I thought the bus option might allow me to go further to Finesterre.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Because the Invierno is somewhat shorter than two weeks, i thought I’d take a bus from Chantada to Ourense. If I do that, do I lose the chance to get the credencial? (If it does, that would be ok.)
Do you mean the Compostela? If you walk continuously from Ourense, that is enough to qualify for it (116km) regardless of what you do before that.

Ourense after Santiago sounds enticing — what are the must useful tourism websites?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ourense after Santiago sounds enticing — what are the must useful tourism websites?
Turiodeoirense.gal looks great but didn’t figure out how to see it in English. Let me know if anyone figures it out!

Actually Spain.info is awesome for all the locations. Their info about ourense, the thermal baths and the thermal train is great.

The train from Santiago leaves to and from Ourense leaves multiple times per day so we are making it a one day trip without riding on a 48 passenger bus!

We have the app Renfe.com to book our train travel - also used it for our Porto to Vigo transport. Electronic tickets already in my virtual wallet.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
Peñalba de Santiago with its 10C untouched Mozarabic church and its traditional stone houses with slate roofs and dark wooden balconies is a real gem (and don’t forget the hermit cave of San...
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...
How about a 24 km, 600 m elevation gain alternative? @Charrito started this whole thing by pointing out that there is a very interesting, abandoned old Pazo on the other side of the river from O...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back