Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good snack for the Hospitales

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Cerdo is pork… so I’m assuming this is some cured pork dish that I have not yet encountered.
There are two grocers in Campiello (last ones prior to the Hospitales). You can likely get it or something else that appeals.
I took a croissant and some cheese, 2 L of milk, and a banana
But I had overtrained and actually was not able to swallow my food. I tried three bites and each of them I was compelled to spit out or else vomit.
It happens… but it happens *less* if you protein load before and after a route like that (And no mistake: the day into and out of Tineo is no joke either — the descents in particular…).
I was told about the protein loading strategy *after* my failed effort to eat when I told my story to someone who turned out to be a paramedic.
And while I would never otherwise do it, he recommended a cola and marched me off to a bar to get one immediately. It did help me a ton, so I might suggest a soda in your side pocket (and carry your empty can to a refuse or recycle bin).
Next Camino… I will eat a boiled egg and a banana before I leave for a high/long climb, and I will take a cold tortilla Espana with me.
Just don’t forget to stock up in Campiello.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know this suggestion may be deemed somewhat "out there", but how about a sandwich (bocadillo)?
Would not be my first choice because the bread will be both [more] stale and soggy by the next day when one unwraps it at destination. Croissant and cured meat amounts to the same thing but is likely to taste better.
I prefer the tortilla because it’s just the right combination of protein and carbs.
To each their own, but I prefer my bocadillos to be had at the bar.

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route
Nothing major just something to keep me going
Many thanks
Avoid soup, it tends to leak through backpack fabric. A roasted chicken or leg of lamb with a decent bottle of Bierzo and a side salad would be my choice though I’d probably prefer it if someone else carried it. You’re looking at a 6hr walk between available food. What would you normally do if you were in a six hour gap between meals?

GORP (good old raisins [and] peanuts) have kept most of us going for years but I’d advise picking them up in advance of Tineo or Borres. A bocadillo from El Barin in Borrés would be my personal choice but…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Avoid soup, it tends to leak through backpack fabric. A roasted chicken or leg of lamb with a decent bottle of Bierzo and a side salad would be my choice though I’d probably prefer it if someone else carried it. You’re looking at a 6hr walk between available food. What would you normally do if you were in a six hour gap between meals?

GORP (good old raisins [and] peanuts) have kept most of us going for years but I’d advise picking them up in advance of Tineo or Borres. A bocadillo from El Barin in Borrés would be my personal choice but…
Making notes..

Anything that keeps well and has a decent calorie to weight ratio. Oreos are kind of a favorite of mine, those wine gum strings (i cant remember the english name), some nuts.... kind of depends on whats being sold in the village before the start of the hospitales. Guess a bocadillo would also work, but not my favorite option.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many thanks
Good question. And I have no recollection whatsoever of what I did. I know I bought nothing in Borres, where I stayed, at the albergue, as there is no shop there. I always carry cacahuetes (spelling?). Salted roasted peanuts are a life saver for me, so I probably had those with me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is there something about this route which might differentiate the most appropriate snack from the generic option for ‘between meals’ at regular Spanish mealtimes?

Honestly? Whatever’s available will surely do the job.
Joy killer.. I think its cool and tough we take this huge test of manhood then.. and the trail is tougher than any polar expedition, isn't it? then we would like to brag afterwards about what food we had to carry for survive.. 😂

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you come across a bakery or patisserie then there are lots of local specialties you could take along with you! There is bollos preñaos, which is basically stuffed bread (often stuffed with chorizo), casadielles asturianas, which are a fried sugar covered patry with walnuts inside, carajitos del profesor (hazelnut biscuits) and lots of other thiungs I can't remember. Just google asturian baked goods or something to that effect.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ok, loving the stream, and lots of good advice. Although I'd prepare for an angry farmer if you choose to glean from his herds, and fires are generally frowned upon... 😉

The one thing you * won't* find on the Primitivo within 5km of Hospitales is a panderia/ bakery.

There is a pretty well equipped shop in Campiello. I have heard there's one in Borres, but can't speak to it.

Focus more on having enough water and electrolytes to make it over, and take whatever combo of carbs/protein/ fats works for you if you're working hard. If you don't know how your body responds to extended exertion, then by all means do a loaded training hike before you come.

And finally, as has been said, Hospitales is not the only difficult day on the Primitivo, especially on a Sunday or Monday when many things are closed.

Buen Camino.

I make my own bocadilla when taking a picnic lunch break. I prefer it with good cheese, and sin olives in the little bags and often forego the meat, or sometimes substitute canned tuna. I also take nuts or trail mix, dark chocolate w/nuts, a banana or apple, and occasionally indulge in purchasing a sleeve of those cheap, but wonderful little cookies with chocolate centers. They are packaged well and last several days.
Although I often order a slice of tortilla at a bar to go with my coffee for breakfast, I actually have never thought to bring one with me for later. It's a great idea!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK now don't hate me but I do not care for those dried out tortillas. Never had a single one that was good.
I'm all for bocadillos with Chrissy. Good cheese, olives, chocolate, fruit.

For the uninformed that have yet to walk this route there is no bakery. No open bar. No tortilla to be had. You buy at the shop the day before or possibly have your Albergue make you something (as mentioned above a couple of them kindly do this). A banana and some chippies will suffice. Anything more is just a bonus.

Or you go hungry. You'll live.

It's not a marathon, nor is it a 40+ km major hike, it's not even the toughest day on the Primitivo. You certainly don't need to preload. A reasonable breakfast, with eggs ( or other protein) if possible is a bonus.
It's just another moderately strenuous, very beautiful day on the Camino.

Last year 4 of us bought a few things together, because the selection at the store in Campiello is limited. Loads of biscuits and canned goods, not much in terms of crackers, a few of those big long oversized French sticks that they make bocadillos from, a limited selection of veges and fruit. You can buy half of one of the bread sticks, which was enough for the four of us with a tin of tuna, a massive tomato - grapefruit size!- a chunk of cheese, chippies( crisps), and a banana or Apple each.
We were all carrying our usual snacks - typically things like salted nuts and chocolate. I also carry dried fruit, a couple of my day's companions carried biscuits.

As mentioned above water is the critical element. Nothing available for 24.5 kilometres. I carried two and a half litres plus a 500 ml Aquarius. Gave some water to a companion who ran out, and we finished every drop. And whilst it was warm it wasn't hot. Had it been so I would have needed the three liters myself. The aquarius was a real bonus, physical or psychological it gave me a Boost.

Yes, water weighs a lot but it is one (beautiful) day, don't ruin it by not carrying enough water - dehydration is not fun.

Keep a rough note of how much water you consume per day up until then and you will have a rough idea, add at least a half liter to that. And hydrate well before leaving your Albergue.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Not many stomachs could handle that on a hike without a case of diarrhoea. 2 litres of milk?!

I always carry cacahuetes (spelling?). Salted roasted peanuts are a life saver for me, so I probably had those with me.

Cacahuete, cacahuate, maní or in English plain ole peanuts.

Panchitos are fried, salted peanuts.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK now don't hate me but I do not care for those dried out tortillas. Never had a single one that was good.

I've had delicious tortillas. Usually fresh, with onions and still warm at breakfast-time.
I've also had the joyless, dry variety you've described that have been sitting on the counter for the past 2 days. They almost have a foam texture. Gross.
You can tell by looking at them whether they're going to be nice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've had delicious tortillas. Usually fresh, with onions and still warm at breakfast-time.
I've also had the joyless, dry variety you've described that have been sitting on the counter for the past 2 days. They almost have a foam texture. Gross.
You can tell by looking at them whether they're going to be nice.
I hear you. I always ask for a tortilla to be microwaved, which helps. I choose them sometimes because as much as I love croissants w/chocolate inside, I tire of them repeatedly. Bars don't always want to make eggs when throngs of pilgrims come through at nearly the same time in the mornings. There have been forum discussions on tortilla pies before. Apparently the majority come from suppliers in bulk, and are not often made on site.

Apparently the majority come from suppliers in bulk, and are not often made on site

There was a nice bar between Santiago and Finesterre (after Negreira, if memory serves) that made my tortilla to order. I'll never forget it. After I ordered, I kept thinking "what's taking so long?" So I peeked behind the counter and saw the owner slicing potatoes and whisking eggs.

Ten minutes later he brought out a personal sized, piping-hot tortilla and it was perfection on a plate.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hear you. I always ask for a tortilla to be microwaved, which helps. I choose them sometimes because as much as I love croissants w/chocolate inside, I tire of them repeatedly. Bars don't always want to make eggs when throngs of pilgrims come through at nearly the same time in the mornings. There have been forum discussions on tortilla pies before. Apparently the majority come from suppliers in bulk, and are not often made on site.
Only on CF would those bulk tortillas be served ! Never seen em on any other camino. Using your eyes is best way of discerning quality.
Microwaving egg renders them rubbery.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cerdo is pork… so I’m assuming this is some cured pork dish that I have not yet encountered.
There are two grocers in Campiello (last ones prior to the Hospitales). You can likely get it or something else that appeals.
But I had overtrained and actually was not able to swallow my food. I tried three bites and all of them I was compelled to spit out or else vomit.
It happens… but it happens *less* if you protein load before and after a route like that (And no mistake: the day into and out of Tineo is no joke either — the descents in particular…).
I was told about the protein loading strategy *after* my failed effort to eat when I told my story to someone who turned out to be a paramedic.
And while I would never otherwise do it, he recommended a cola and marched me off to a bar to get one immediately. It did help me a ton, so I might suggest a soda in your side pocket (and carry your empty can to a refuse or recycle bin).
Next Camino… I will eat a boiled egg and a banana before I leave for a high/long climb, and I will take a cold tortilla Espana with me.
Just don’t forget to stock up in Campiello.
Think pork rinds, or pork crisps, or fried pigs ears, and you would be close.

Many thanks
I just took some salami, cheese and bread that I bought in Campiello the night before. Always have nuts and m&ms in my pocket.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Only on CF would those bulk tortillas be served ! Never seen em on any other camino. Using your eyes is best way of discerning quality.
Microwaving egg renders them rubbery.
True, it's mostly been on the Camino Frances that I have had tortillas. Microwaving probably does add a more rubbery texture, but having them served cold never appealed to me.

I think chicharrón can refer to belly or skin in mexico, as long as it's crispy.
You are probably correct. My wife is Mexican and she and her family tell me that it is the skin. Maybe they didn't tell me about the belly just to have fun with me. I do not like chicharron in any way. Fried or marinated. My Mexican family love it and my nieces and nephews buy them at the Oxxo in bags. Me, I love, love, love, Penguinos!!!!!

Hi @sprinto - I always have one of the Isabel brand tinned salads with me. They were recommended to me by @wanda here on the Forum. They’re a good size for lunch or to eat at night if you find nothing is open. They’re delicious.

Here’s a photo -

350CCB70-010C-49FE-96D5-9A9649A4CB2F.png

They were a fantastic stand-by meal for me on the VDLP and Sanabres a couple of years ago.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many thanks
cheeze, ham, yogut, loaf of bread, orange cake, granola bars, muesli, boiled eggs, peanuts, oranges, bananas all keep 24 hrs plus. Take a little or lot

Many thanks
You have generated a list of a wide range of delectable snacks, many thanks to you and the responders. One factor that may help prioritize, is the additional weight of the packaging of the snack you pack. You will also continue to carry that weight until you snack the snack, and still carry it after snacking until you find a proper bin for disposal. Pack snacks that pack light.

While we are at it: when anyone has the chance to stop in Campiello, stop at the larger grocer/restaurant there and whatever else you do, have the fresh cheese dessert with the blueberry compote. Outstanding! (And they taught me how they do it, so I can make a proximal version at home with St. Jean fresh cheese from my Portuguese deli).
I can’t complain about any dish I’ve had there (and I’ve been through twice) but the cheese dessert is just wonderful.

Attachments

• IMG_7431.jpeg
    IMG_7431.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's what I figured - and that's what they taste like

Torrezno (chicharrón de cerdo) is a deep fried pork belly snack (google tells me so)
I had this on my last Camino. From a distance, it looked like a churro. He looked at me strangely when I asked for it and cut it up and gave it to me, much to my surprise when I saw just what it was I had asked for.
🤣

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Grisini, apple, banana, dried fruits and nuts, dark chocolate, water. I preferred not to have to much in stomach during walking.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back