• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experiences from Le Puy to SJPdP?

Severinus Ericum

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances / May 2014
Last year in May I walked from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostella. This year I am planning to walk from Le Puy to SJPdP, partly because it is used (though not as many as Camino Frances!) and partly because it connects to my route from last year.
My current plan is to walk 3 weeks in September 2015, starting in Conques, to SJPdP. Flight to Lyon, train to St. Etienne and to Le Puy, and then the Compostel'bus from Le Puy to Conques. In the german Rother guide I can see that the short-distance walkers mainly use the Le Puy - Conques part. Naturally I will bring the MMDD guide. I understand from this forum that the custom is to book in advance (the night before or in the morning), opposite to what I did on the Camino Frances.
What are the experiences from this route in September? Will the daily average distance be as on the Camino Frances (25-28 km / day)?
Kind regards
Severinus

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
By starting in Conques, you'll be missing the best scenery on the entire route. And apart from walking in, Conques is a bit difficult to reach; the transport logistics are not at all straightforward. So perhaps you can reconsider this plan.

As you have realized by now, there are many different sorts of walkers, with many different capacities, on these forums. My daily distance on the Le Puy route was happiest in the 16-18 km range.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
About going from Le Puy to Conques I found the bus line Le Compostel'bus with a daily schedule, April to October, leaving Le Puy 7:50 and arriving 12:05.
On the other hand, by reading the different posting, I am reconsidering the plans.
Is the track between Le Puy and Conques very busy in September?
Kind regards
Severinus

LePuy to Conques is maybe the best section of the entire network. If you skip,it this year be sure to go back for it soon.

I concur. Le Puy to Conques is beautiful and interesting. I encourage you to sleep in gites, eat the demi-pension when it is offered, and visit all the small open churches. Be sure to give yourself a day to appreciate Le Puy and its history of building churches on top of pre-historic dolmens and the black madonna in the cathedral. Of course attend the mass at the cathedral on the day you depart. The most difficult part is mt aubrac but in September all the snow will have melted and you only must contend with some wind and some climbing. If you do not spend the night at the summit at least reward yourself with their berry tart, shared amongst freinds to celebrate your achievement. Use miam miam dodo to plan your stages -- in France you can book into the gites ahead of time. Be aware of one small catch, if you see a gite listed in a town but without an address,,, this means the gite is using the town as a postal code and might be several kms outside of the town proper. These are some beautiful gites in the countryside but you need to be prepared for additional walking. Have a wonderful walk. (I start the Vezelay route on Monday.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked it last September and I agree, don't miss the Le Puy - Concques stretch and also consider taking the 'detour' via Rocamadour. Calling ahead the same day is usually what I did. Bon Chemin, SY

Is the track between Le Puy and Conques very busy in September?
Yes. September may be the most popular month along the Le Puy route. That means there might be 50 people leaving Le Puy on any given day, especially weekends early in the month.

Convinced. I change plans and will then start in Le Puy. I then expect to end in Moissac - from there it should be easy to go to Toulouse (for a couple of days) and then fly back to Copenhagen.
Thanks for all the good advices.

Kind regrds
Severinus

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All preparations done and I am ready to walk. The start will be from Le Puy Thursday morning September 3. I have planned and booked for 3 legs before Saugues and will then see how the situation is, legs and weather.
Kind regards
Severinus

Last year in May I walked from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostella. This year I am planning to walk from Le Puy to SJPdP, partly because it is used (though not as many as Camino Frances!) and partly because it connects to my route from last year.
My current plan is to walk 3 weeks in September 2015, starting in Conques, to SJPdP. Flight to Lyon, train to St. Etienne and to Le Puy, and then the Compostel'bus from Le Puy to Conques. In the german Rother guide I can see that the short-distance walkers mainly use the Le Puy - Conques part. Naturally I will bring the MMDD guide. I understand from this forum that the custom is to book in advance (the night before or in the morning), opposite to what I did on the Camino Frances.
What are the experiences from this route in September? Will the daily average distance be as on the Camino Frances (25-28 km / day)?
Kind regards
Severinus
I am planning to start in Le Puy this 12 Sept from Paris..
any help appreciated...esp at my age, 78. easy? suggestions? Josef

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back