• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Home Six Days...Pricing Tickets for 2016!

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I had so hoped I would not do this, but alas. Here I sit pricing Madrid, Barcelona, Porto. Ha!

I'm now going outside for a nice walk to try to stop this planning for the next big walk!

Who else has done this? Help....

New Camino Junkie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had so hoped I would not do this, but alas. Here I sit pricing Madrid, Barcelona, Porto. Ha!

I'm now going outside for a nice walk to try to stop this planning for the next big walk!

New Camino Junkie

Many of us have done this CaminoDebrita.

Almost all the people I walked with over a length of time earlier this year have already made their bookings for next year, or a couple of years ahead. I walked in April/May 2015 unsure if I had the physical ability to reach Santiago, therefore it was scheduled as a once in a lifetime experience, but the Camino made me stronger physically and emotionally, so, although I have yet to book the tickets, I have set up a reminder with SNCF for notification when the cheapest train travel becomes available. The bed and breakfast in Barcelona is already booked, as is the ticket for the Jordi Savall concert on the night before I head to Pamplona/St Jean. Not listening to music as I walk, I want to start this pilgrimage (as I did the first one) after having been privileged to hear one of Catalonia's finest musicians.

This time I can afford to be a bit more relaxed and walk with a greater degree of confidence, knowing 'the stages' and understanding now that they shouldn't determine how long I walk or where I choose to stop.

It took me over three months to settle down and to begin to understand how all that was good about the Camino needs to be brought home and shared (much more difficult than it sounds, or perhaps not). Wishing you well with your nice walk outside and your planning for the future.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was wondering when I would read this...
A warm welcome to the club, Deb.:D
I was only going to walk once...just like I was only ever going to sit one meditation retreat. Curiosity kills the..........

I think a lot of my issue right now is a case of jet lag, and I can't stop to stop crashing at 6 pm and getting up at 3 am. I am working on it!

Today, I harvested vegetables in our massive garden, taking in pumpkins, butternut squash, peppers, onions, and swiss chard. I will harvest some of my herbs tomorrow, and it gives me such pleasure to get my hands dirty. Just being under the big and beautiful sky soothed me tremendously.

I'm also hip deep in an editing project, and have been working hours to get a book done (my husband is suddenly a writer, and quite a good one, and has gotten to the finish line while I was gone; just think of what he can accomplish next time!!). So, it's not all "poor me, back home!" In fact, I'm really happy to be here.

This feeling of health and muscular body and clean mind, along with my returned ability to memorize longer numbers and pull vocabulary words out of their recesses---well, it's quite wonderful. I'm liking it! So, I will be happy, and live, and hike, and love---and keep my options open for next September! (or sooner).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can totally relate...did the same daily checking myself once I got back. Come join me on the Le Puy route in May 2016!!!

I am going on a concession tour to Wyoming with the man (husband) in May, but I think I can sneak away in the Autumn for three weeks! Whoo hoo!

New Camino Junkie

done it too many times ..swore there would never be a second...then suddenly your browsing..then you say never a third...then your browsing.and one is not enough..
its get worse when your booking caminos before you finish the one your on.or returning to do another straight away.....why not you say to yourself, fit a few in per year.
any excuse to go...why not..

in 2016 I am on camino most of the year. will be living in Anodorra then after the next camino in Jan 2016 .no more browsing..no more London.....

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, if you decided you wanted to come back sooner, I'm off in the last week in March, you'd be very welcome to join. (Only half-way kidding. March and April, I know, are critical months in the garden.)
Welcome to the best hobby one can have.
Shows how deep in I am, because I first thought you meant the gardening, MTtoCamino. The Camino is a hobby??

I totally know where you are coming from. At this point, though, rather than pricing tickets, I would be looking at which route to take. I saw a Primitivo suggestion up there which works perfectly for 3 weeks depending. You could start in Oviedo and very resonably make your way in. If you are an agressive walker you can combine the San Salvador and Primitivo in that timespan, though again that would be aggressive. The Norte offers beautiful coastal views, though experiencing the whole thing from Irun to SDC in that timespan would be extremely agressive. I will be travelling the VdLP, new to me, in about 22 days next year, starting in Caceres rather than Sevilla because I just don't like going on a Camino and not ending up in SDC. Others, with more patience than I, take a path to enjoy a first part and maybe the next in a second year. Of course, if you'd rather do the Frances again, 3 weeks could work from Leon to Finessterre and Muxia, or from beyond Leon somewhat, maybe burgos?. I am a fast and long walker so take any suggestion from me with a grain of salt.

Now as far as watching airfares, I do too. I have learned that if I watch regularly, every once in a while there is a DRAMATIC drop in price. Literally one day a fare will be cut in half almost. If you see this, jump on it. Because the next day, it will return to normal. I caught the dramatic drop once a couple of years ago. I missed it this year becaue I thought it would last. I use kayak.com to browse available flights with my intended flight dates.

Last edited:
I totally know where you are coming from. At this point, though, rather than pricing tickets, I would be looking at which route to take. I saw a Primitivo suggestion up there which works perfectly for 3 weeks depending. You could start in Oviedo and very resonably make your way in. If you are an agressive walker you can combine the San Salvador and Primitivo in that timespan, though again that would be aggressive. The Norte offers beautiful coastal views, though experiencing the whole thing from Irun to SDC in that timespan would be extremely agressive. I will be travelling the VdLP, new to me, in about 22 days next year, starting in Caceres rather than Sevilla because I just don't like going on a Camino and not ending up in SDC. Others, with more patience than I, take a path to enjoy a first part and maybe the next in a second year. Of course, if you'd rather do the Frances again, 3 weeks could work from Leon to Finessterre and Muxia, or from beyond Leon somewhat, maybe burgos?. I am a fast and long walker so take any suggestion from me with a grain of salt.

Now as far as watching airfares, I do too. I have learned that if I watch regularly, every once in a while there is a DRAMATIC drop in price. Literally one day a fare will be cut in half almost. If you see this, jump on it. Because the next day, it will return to normal. I caught the dramatic drop once a couple of years ago. I missed it this year becaue I thought it would last. I use kayak.com to browse available flights with my intended flight dates.
First, I am not an aggressive walker...I found that a lot of the 20 and 30-somethings were really moving fast, but then I'd catch up with them in two or three days. Often they would be sporting nasty blisters! Ah, my youngish friends. Love them! I'm more of a "I'm slow, and if you want to talk with me, you might be slow too!" kind of walker. As a 56-year-old, I know what I like!

Interestingly...the route question...you know, I have thought of several of the options you mentioned. Regarding the Frances, I'd like to know it better (although since I walked it all, I should know it quite well). I have considered walking it from Leon and then onward. I need to look back at my passports, as I took a very leisurely 41 days--but only 38 walking--to do the CF. That's not actually too bad. Remember, though, slow. So some of my days were eight and nine hours--painful, according to a 17-year-old Camino daughter I picked up along the way.

I did not go to Muxia or Finisterre this time, as I would prefer to walk there rather than bus there, and I did not have enough time.

I noticed that Kayak.com prices were really low yesterday, btw. I think I'll mosey back and take a second look.

Thanks so much---

Deb

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, if you decided you wanted to come back sooner, I'm off in the last week in March, you'd be very welcome to join. (Only half-way kidding. March and April, I know, are critical months in the garden.)

Shows how deep in I am, because I first thought you meant the gardening, MTtoCamino. The Camino is a hobby??
The journey is not a hobby, waiting to get back to it becomes one. I trial equipment backpacking into the wilderness areas as I wait for retirement. So yes in many ways it is a hobby

I've also used Kayak for years, but for my next trip, I stumbled upon Justairticket.com whose prices were consistently at least $100 less. I don't trust it when Kayak shows a fare with "a major carrier" as there are a couple of airlines that I would be too nervous to use. I need to know which company I'm booking before I pay. The ticket I ended up purchasing was $200 less than on Kayak. The only bummer was that multicity fares were not an option, but I'm excited about flying in and out of San Sebastian, especially since I can start walking directly out of the airport! After a great deal of research, I determined that San Sebastian gives me a lot of options. I can easily change where I want to start or end my camino as ground travel in Spain is very reasonable.

BTW, Deb, your posts sound so much like me... a slow walking (4-5km/hr), 57 year old retired teacher (French and sheltered English), whose husband stays home while I travel :)

The journey is not a hobby, waiting to get back to it becomes one. I trial equipment backpacking into the wilderness areas as I wait for retirement. So yes in many ways it is a hobby

MTtoCamino

The saying goes that a man is better at his hobby than his job...(excluding airline pilots I hope)

applies to women as well

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've also used Kayak for years, but for my next trip, I stumbled upon Justairticket.com whose prices were consistently at least $100 less. I don't trust it when Kayak shows a fare with "a major carrier" as there are a couple of airlines that I would be too nervous to use. I need to know which company I'm booking before I pay. The ticket I ended up purchasing was $200 less than on Kayak. The only bummer was that multicity fares were not an option, but I'm excited about flying in and out of San Sebastian, especially since I can start walking directly out of the airport! After a great deal of research, I determined that San Sebastian gives me a lot of options. I can easily change where I want to start or end my camino as ground travel in Spain is very reasonable.

BTW, Deb, your posts sound so much like me... a slow walking (4-5km/hr), 57 year old retired teacher (French and sheltered English), whose husband stays home while I travel :)
I found cheapoair to be a little better than Kayak as well.

Hi Debrita,

Don't panic! You are fully normal.
Think a little to all these people who:
- Don't know the Camino (better not to enlight them, it's already crowded enough ;))
- Don't like to walk (they do fitness in a cellar :eek:)
- Don't have the time (but can take a plane to shop on the other side of the planet :confused:)
- Don't...
They are surely not normal :D

Starting to plan as early as possible is the only way to keep normality :)
For example, I am planning for autumn 2017 since last year... what means that I'm even more normal than you :p

Buen Camino (planning... ),
Jacques-D.

Oh but the planning is such fun in itself, and almost an integral part of one's Camino I think.

I have only walked from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Puente la Reina ( and that was further than I originally thought I would be able to walk!) yet I find myself thinking every day about the next part of my Camino Beside me on the sofa as I type this are my Camino guidebooks, and I constantly finds myself bookmarking albergues etc, even though it may take me years to get there at my rate of travel (5 days walking, twice a year)!

I find myself so frustrated right now because I am working full time, 6 days a week in the run up to Christmas, and that only leaves me one day free to go out for a decent walk; however that is often thwarted because I need to go shopping, do laundry, wrap presents, cook stuff for the freezer, etc. I just want to WALK!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I actually needed two months for absorbtion upon returning. This year I made it a couple stages past Burgos planning on 2016 to finish. I started in SJPdP with a knee injury (doc said I would not make it worse, but expect pain) and limited time. I already spent over $1,200 on airfare and spent most the year preparing. I luckily booked Orisson the week before and barely made it there on day one. The next couple of days I saw all my Orisson friends because of how slow I was and they passed me. Skipping ahead... I was thrilled to get as far as I did in 2 weeks.

The stitches were removed this week and expect full recovery in 4-8 weeks. Between regeneration and not pushing my other half's generosity on embarking on this journey solo, I just plain needed time.

Perhaps knowing I was returning made it easier. Perhaps the renewal in strength of faith, calmness, slowing down and added patience has increased family support. I even hired my first employee to better manage, grow the business and be able to continue this new way of life.

As winter approaches in Wisconsin, planning will once again heat up as it is when I return and not if.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Oh, yes....we are so alike! Hugs and thanks for all of your good advice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

New Camino Junkie

CaminoDebrita, having followed your posts, I have to say I'm surprised it took you so long to start planning again.
Buen(returning) Camino

I actually needed two months for absorbtion upon returning. This year I made it a couple stages past Burgos planning on 2016 to finish. I started in SJPdP with a knee injury (doc said I would not make it worse, but expect pain) and limited time. I already spent over $1,200 on airfare and spent most the year preparing. I luckily booked Orisson the week before and barely made it there on day one. The next couple of days I saw all my Orisson friends because of how slow I was and they passed me. Skipping ahead... I was thrilled to get as far as I did in 2 weeks.

The stitches were removed this week and expect full recovery in 4-8 weeks. Between regeneration and not pushing my other half's generosity on embarking on this journey solo, I just plain needed time.

Perhaps knowing I was returning made it easier. Perhaps the renewal in strength of faith, calmness, slowing down and added patience has increased family support. I even hired my first employee to better manage, grow the business and be able to continue this new way of life.

As winter approaches in Wisconsin, planning will once again heat up as it is when I return and not if.

It's really a beautiful walk, and I am glad you are giving yourself time to heal--and slowly, slowly encourage your other half's generosity!

Last night, my man conceded that he would consider doing the Scotland coast to coast walk, and I asked him, "when might you want to do this?" and his reply, "September". To which I asked, "But didn't we already agree that would be my Camino month?"

I'm going to be doing a LOT of baking and cleaning and etc-er-ing to make things work, ha ha!

CaminoDebrita, having followed your posts, I have to say I'm surprised it took you so long to start planning again.
Buen(returning) Camino
You know, I actually started considering the next walk while I was in the middle of the current one, and I had a lot of interesting conversations with a fellow from Wales, I think, Jonathan. Jonathan had a wispy shock of white hair and striking blue eyes, and we intersected several times during the Camino. He mentioned that he is compelled to repeat the Frances, and it was about his eighth time doing so.

He said it is kind of like his "practice" and he enjoys seeing the old, familiar places, to borrow a phrase.

So many options. So many countries. So many wonderful friends.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have enjoyed reading this thread. We are walking our first Camino in March 2016. Our issue has not been prices on airlines. My wife travel for her job, many air miles and racking up miles on our airline credit card (paid in full each month) our r/t is less than $150.00. My issue is finding available time. Taking off for 5 weeks at one time is hard. For me to get that much time I end up taking time without pay. We haven't done our first walk and we are talking about ther routes for our second already.:)

New Camino Junkie

Only known cure for post-trip blues is to begin planning the next. Always have an idea or two bubbling away at the back of my brain and then wait to be surprised by what evolves.
This is a fixture on my computer keyboard:

bookflight.jpg

It's great having a supportive forum like this, full of like-minded camino junkies. When I completed my first camino I don't think I came across anyone (other than Reb Scott) who had walked it twice - I now know there were, but I did not meet them. And when I walked it the second time I don't think I came across anyone else doing it the second time. People thought it weird enough to walk it once, let alone again and again and again....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's great having a supportive forum like this, full of like-minded camino junkies. When I completed my first camino I don't think I came across anyone (other than Reb Scott) who had walked it twice - I now know there were, but I did not meet them. And when I walked it the second time I don't think I came across anyone else doing it the second time. People thought it weird enough to walk it once, let alone again and again and again....

Kind of interesting… People are congratulating me and seem to be so impressed, and I just think I'm being lazy for not walking 12 to 20 miles a day right now!

It just feels so healthy.

This is a fixture on my computer keyboard:
Well, Meri, may your foot heal quickly so you can use this soon!
People thought it weird enough to walk it once, let alone again and again and again....
...walking 12 to 20 miles a day right now...just feels so healthy.
Interesting juxtaposition isn't it: what we all know to be true (what Deb says) and how this activity is perceived by the vast majority of people we may know (what Kanga says)--as though doing a camino is some weird superhuman feat.

Superhuman feet may be necessary (sorry can't resist...), but it is so natural to move and walk like we do on the camino--it's our relatively recent human heritage. I think one reason the camino is so addictive is that it allows us to be in that natural state--and to really connect with each other and ourselves, here and now (not to mention the spiritual dimension of the journey...).

Anything that allows that normal connection is a only blessing, on so many levels...more and more given the complications of the our lives and the world today. No need to say more about these...it is enough to know a remedy!
See you all out there, I hope, one of these days...

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back