• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sevilla - Guillena safety

susan76

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP September/October 2016
Hi all, I'm planning to leave Sevilla around the 1st of September and have read several reports of people taking the bus for the first part because of robberies. I was planning to walk in 2 parts, staying at Santiponce the first night (to get used to the heat, and because I haven't been training), and the next day to Guillena. Are both these parts a bit sketchy? Advisable not to walk alone there? I guess not a lot of people will leave from Santiponce as most do this part in one day...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all, I'm planning to leave Sevilla around the 1st of September and have read several reports of people taking the bus for the first part because of robberies. I was planning to walk in 2 parts, staying at Santiponce the first night (to get used to the heat, and because I haven't been training), and the next day to Guillena. Are both these parts a bit sketchy? Advisable not to walk alone there? I guess not a lot of people will leave from Santiponce as most do this part in one day...

Hi Susan,

I know there has been a few reports (one?) about robberies close to Guillena. That was several years ago, if I haven't missed some newer reports. Other Pilgrims better informed than me will tell you. Still, I have done that stretch twice (2012, 2013)and there was no problem. I think this fear has become exaggerated, partly by people debating it on the Forum. I for one wouldn't take a bus, and if I was worried about something happening I would perhaps walk with someone or with a group of people. Now of course you should do what feels best for you. Just saying that those robberies or hostile situations must have affected like no more than 0,001 percent of all the pilgrims passing there each day...

/BP

Hi Susan,

Like you I was worried about the reports. In the end I just walked it and didn't encouter any problems or have any feelings of unsafety. No weirdos on the road except us pilgrims :).

I guess the advantage of you splitting up the stage is that you can walk on more "unusual" times...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've walked that stage twice (2013 & 2016) and never seen evidence of a threat. But if you are concerned, I would look out for other pilgrims when you start out in the morning and try to walk as a group.

I do have three concerns. You say you are leaving on September 1 and it will likely be very hot in Seville at that time of year (the average for September is 90 degrees F). Many pilgrims beat the mid-day heat by leaving very early in the morning before the sun comes up, which may influence your sense of security. Second, it is likely that there will not be a significant number of pilgrims walking then, so you may have to spend some time in Seville finding other pilgrims that you could walk with. Also, you say you haven't been training. The second stage after Guillena from Castilblanco de los Arroyos to Almadén de la Plata is 29.2 kilometers and one of the more difficult stages on the VdlP. I'd suggest doing some research on this site, if you haven't already, to get some tips (such as using a taxi) to minimize the physical strain.

Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with bsewall. Your biggest threat is the heat. Big sections of the Plata have no shade at all for miles. The stages are fixed. It can be very unforgiving. Have a look what's going on with the weather at the moment in Spain - it was 40c when I was in Lugo last week (hottest since 1961 I believe) and even hotter in Seville.

I got heat stroke and the beginnings of septicaemia in May 2014. Luckily I was pampered by lovely people in Fuente de Cantos but I had to see the doctor 4 days running, and was on strong antibiotics for 2 weeks.

I walked that section as well alone in 2014 and was fine, but it never hurts to find others to walk with if you feel more comfortable.

As to the heat, it definitely takes a while to get acclimated to. Sept 1 is still some time away, if you can I would recommend trying some practice walks , at the hotter times of the day. We have a dry heat similar, and it is easy to get dehydrated if you are not careful. I am a big fan of those cooling towels that get cold when wet. It's amazing how much better I feel when doing desert hikes, with one around my neck.

Thanks all. I haven't trained specifically for the camino, with backpack for example, but I am pretty fit and have done walks of 30 and 40 km. Also done quite some walks in the Amazon and am used to some heat. But I am planning to take it slow wherever it is possible.
Didn't know about those fires, hmm, hope the heat wave is over by september...If I wait much longer it will be too cold by the time I reach Santiago ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, I just booked my flight (so excited!) and will leave the 30th or 31th of August from Sevilla. I guess I will see if there are any other pilgrims. If I somehow don't feel comfortable I can always take the bus...
A bit off topic but as you walked in the same period @Old Gringo , I was wondering, did you need a sleeping bag?

Here we are again creating a long thread about this. I still believe you need no more caution on this stage than on any other. Are robberies happpening frequently there, or has it been once or twice? Rumor spreads and people are avoiding this stage? Really?

BP

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, I just booked my flight (so excited!) and will leave the 30th or 31th of August from Sevilla. I guess I will see if there are any other pilgrims. If I somehow don't feel comfortable I can always take the bus...
A bit off topic but as you walked in the same period @Old Gringo , I was wondering, did you need a sleeping bag?

In our group of four, three had very light sleeping bags, one had a sleeping bag liner. Everyone was fine. I still favor a sleeping bag because when you get to Northern Castilla-León and Galicia it may be cold.

Last edited:
I walked that section as well alone in 2014 and was fine, but it never hurts to find others to walk with if you feel more comfortable.

As to the heat, it definitely takes a while to get acclimated to. Sept 1 is still some time away, if you can I would recommend trying some practice walks , at the hotter times of the day. We have a dry heat similar, and it is easy to get dehydrated if you are not careful. I am a big fan of those cooling towels that get cold when wet. It's amazing how much better I feel when doing desert hikes, with one around my neck.
I would especially protect the back of the neck. After 2 pilgrimages (it takes me a while) I figured out to wear a hat with a flap that hangs over the neck. The constant sun will burn through to your throat if you're not careful. My neck is now permanently tanned. Seems to have changed my DNA. :-(

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back