• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time! Which path to take

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugués (September, 2017)
Hi all, going to start the Camino September 19th. I have been reading a lot about the Camino Portugues but it has become a little overwhelming to decide what route to take.
Originally I thought to do the coastal but so many reviews about lack of signage from Lisbon to Porto, etc. I am traveling solo so want to make sure I find the best route for me. I love water so that is why the coastal path appealed to me. Having said that, I want to stop by Fatima.
I would appreciate any advise from anyone that have done it recently.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all, going to start the Camino September 19th. I have been reading a lot about the Camino Portugues but it has become a little overwhelming to decide what route to take.
Originally I thought to do the coastal but so many reviews about lack of signage from Lisbon to Porto, etc. I am traveling solo so want to make sure I find the best route for me. I love water so that is why the coastal path appealed to me. Having said that, I want to stop by Fatima.
I would appreciate any advise from anyone that have done it recently.

Welcome to the forum Ms Village.
I completed the Lisbon to Santiago Camino in June and found the signage pretty good.
There are certain days where you'll need to be fully awake as the yellow arrows stop and you need to follow electric pylons between villages. However the latest Breirley Guide explains this quite adequately.
Early on there are a few k's to walk, but if you get in difficulties the railway is always there in emergencies.
This is a great Camino and improves as you walk northwards!
Buen Camino
Davie

I completed the Lisbon to Santiago Camino in June and found the signage pretty good.
There are certain days where you'll need to be fully awake as the yellow arrows stop and you need to follow electric pylons between villages. However the latest Breirley Guide explains this quite adequately.
Early on there are a few k's to walk, but if you get in difficulties the railway is always there in emergencies.
Buen Camino
Davie
Buen Camino
Davie
Thank you! Are there any good FREE guides that you are aware of?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you! Are there any good FREE guides that you are aware of?

Forum guides, made by forum members:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-portugués-lisbon-porto-2017.517/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/

These are a bit out of date, though, and may be missing one essential bit of news -- that as of May, 2016, there is now an excellent albergue in Alpriate, 20 km from the Lisbon cathedral. It is owned and run by the Via Lusitana, Lisbon's Camino Organization, and people love it.

https://www.facebook.com/AlbergueAlpriate/

Thank you! Will read them and get back if I have any questions.

It would be cool to hear also from anyone that may have done the coastal as well at the others to compare,

Thank you! Will read them and get back if I have any questions.

It would be cool to hear also from anyone that may have done the coastal as well at the others to compare,
You could start de caminho do Mar starting in Cascais west of Lisbon to Fátima and from there go to the central route(by bus to Santarèm or Tomar ) and continue to Porto. There you could decide to walk the coastal route to Vigo and Redondela. There you'll pick up the central route.
If you like more wind and waves ,head 3 kms after Pontevedra westwards on the Variante espiritual and you will experience the waves and wind in realtime from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecessures nearby Padrón. A great caminho !

Have a look on Google maps and on the subforums here about these routes. They all are great !

Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You could start de caminho do Mar starting in Cascais west of Lisbon to Fátima and from there go to the central route(by bus to Santarèm or Tomar ) and continue to Porto. There you could decide to walk the coastal route to Vigo and Redondela. There you'll pick up the central route.
If you like more wind and waves ,head 3 kms after Pontevedra westwards on the Variante espiritual and you will experience the waves and wind in realtime from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecessures nearby Padrón. A great caminho !

Have a look on Google maps and on the subforums here about these routes. They all are great !

Bom caminho
Thank you for the suggestions, will study them and decide

Thank you for the suggestions, will study them and decide
The Caminho do Mar I did not walk but drove it by car. Very nice and you travel through the part of the country where Portugal's historyand foundation started.
The central r oute I walked from Lisbon to Santiago
The coastal from Porto I started in Vana do Castelo. From Porto I drove my car to Viana do Castelo . I prefered therefore to start in Viana.
The Variante Espirital I walked and sailed by boat to Padrón.

Bom caminho amd happy deciding. Enjoy allready in advance

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back