• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Coffee Question?

Hilarious

Hilarious
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning stage Camino Frances from SJPdP (Sept. 2019)
Hi from DownUnder
Start my first Camino (Frances) on 18th September. I definitely need a caffeine hit to get me going in the morning. I’m a bit confused as to types of coffees in Spanish. Cafe con leche I presume is from an espresso machine like a latte or flat white. What is an Americano? Is it a long black with cold milk added? Any advice would be appreciated!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Try a cafe cortado — an espresso shot topped up with a little steamed milk, so it’s not so diluted as a cafe con leche. With a chocolate croissant on the side — heaven!!!!

Buen camino!
Yummmmmmm! Can’t go past a chocolate croissant.......

If you have an urgent need, bring, or buy some instant coffee singles. In Spain, Nescafe is the most frequent brand I have found. I usually start off with some Starbucks from home, then switch to Nescafe for resupply.

In the morning, I run the hotel water in the sink, then mix one single serving in an empty water bottle. It is never hot. But it is also never cold either. It simply gets my motor running in the early morning, and gets me to the first open cafe where REAL coffee is available...you will come to appreciate this first refueling stop of each walking day...

I have never had a bad cup of brewed coffee in Spain...like never...

The comments above are helpful and correct. I like my coffee black. That is called 'solo.'

With milk - con leche
Americano - brewed espresso diluted with hot water - same as you get at Starbucks, etc.
Cortado - brewed espresso topped with steamed froth

Bradypus' post and link above provide the essential information you need.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi from DownUnder Start my first Camino...I definitely need a caffeine hit to get me going in the morning...
Define 'morning'. If you want/need it when you wake up, consider bringing an immersion device. Didn't know how much I wanted/needed coffee until it wasn't always available upon waking. Next time (August 2019) I'm bringing my coil and some instant brew. ;) BUEN CAMINO

Define 'morning'. If you want/need it when you wake up, consider bringing an immersion device. Didn't know how much I wanted/needed coffee until it wasn't always available upon waking. Next time (August 2019) I'm bringing my coil and some instant brew. ;) BUEN CAMINO
Thank you.

If you have an urgent need, bring, or buy some instant coffee singles. In Spain, Nescafe is the most frequent brand I have found. I usually start off with some Starbucks from home, then switch to Nescafe for resupply.

In the morning, I run the hotel water in the sink, then mix one single serving in an empty water bottle. It is never hot. But it is also never cold either. It simply gets my motor running in the early morning, and gets me to the first open cafe where REAL coffee is available...you will come to appreciate this first refueling stop of each walking day...

The comments above are helpful and correct. I like my coffee black. That is called 'solo.'

With milk - con leche
Americano - brewed espresso diluted with hot water - same as you get at Starbucks, etc.

Hope this helps.
Definitely. Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi from DownUnder
Start my first Camino (Frances) on 18th September. I definitely need a caffeine hit to get me going in the morning. I’m a bit confused as to types of coffees in Spanish. Cafe con leche I presume is from an espresso machine like a latte or flat white. What is an Americano? Is it a long black with cold milk added? Any advice would be appreciated!
You will have no problem if it is caffeine that you want. The Spanish Cafe con leche is wonderful. Espresso with frothed milk. An American is espresso with hot water added. No problem. Better than from where you come from

Hi from DownUnder
Hi I start my 1st Camino on the 18th from St Jean. Will stop in Orisson that afternoon. There is another lady from down under starting on the same day. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi from DownUnder
Hola. Just drink Cafe con leche. It's espresso with steamed milk. All you need and a good memory. If you get it from a vending machine, it will be sweet. Some mornings, that was what was available.
Americano is watered down espresso. Black unless you ask for milk.

Hi from DownUnder
I have the cafe con leche in all of spain to be pretty good. And reasonably priced

Preferred the Portuguese coffee to the Spanish. Stole the Nescafé idea from the Greek. An actual Greek frappe is Nescafé with cold water shake until foaming add some sugar and milk if needed. So refreshing inexpensive and everywhere available with you water bottle.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a fellow Australian I clicked on your question immediately as I’m fretting 😂 that I probably won’t be able to get my soy cappuccinos! I’m lactose intolerant so I can’t really have milk as even taking lactose enzyme tablets is too chancy when walking and not being near toilets ...I’m oversharing sorry but it’s just us Aussie girls talking here right? Buen Camino!

Hope this helps.

That is usually my line,
today, however we had extremely bad coff in Malaga Airport...

that marks a horrific exception to the former rule ....

best coffees are found all over Spain and in the most humble of places....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is usually my line,
today, however we had extremely bad coff in Malaga Airport...

that marks a horrific exception to the former rule ....

best coffees are found all over Spain and in the most humble of places....
i agree completly

Hi I start my 1st Camino on the 18th from St Jean. Will stop in Orisson that afternoon. There is another lady from down under starting on the same day. Buen Camino.
Will look out for you. We will stop for a coffee and something to eat at Orisson but have booked the Express Bourricot back to SJPdP and then return the next day where they picked us up so we can walk to Rocesvalles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is NO bad coffee in Spain or Portugal, think about it! Their ex colonies are all the world's best coffee growing countries. BUT Spanish HOT CHOCOLATE is what they serve in heaven! With Churros! I am Aussie too...but a tea drinker...there is a lot of bad tea...away from the Costas where the Brits brew it.
I can drink a bad coffee but have trouble drinking a bad tea!

As a fellow Australian I clicked on your question immediately as I’m fretting 😂 that I probably won’t be able to get my soy cappuccinos! I’m lactose intolerant so I can’t really have milk as even taking lactose enzyme tablets is too chancy when walking and not being near toilets ...I’m oversharing sorry but it’s just us Aussie girls talking here right? Buen Camino!
No need to apologise. I’m sure someone on this forum will know about soy milk coffees. Perhaps more chance of getting them in the bigger places. Good to hear from you!

You really don’t need coffee packets. Even the smallest of stops will serve you the best coffee. My morning reward was that first spot I came to for my coffee , orange juice and tortilla. I never knew when it would occur....beautiful Memories

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It depends. On the Portuguese I walked long stretches with no bar insight. It was my daily moan when I WhatsApped home . Where is the bar when you want one? Or still no bar and singing an old German Song There is no beer in Hawaii

With milk - con leche

Hope this helps.
As a cuppa Joe first thing in the morning type of guy I found on my first Camino there would be some early departures with nothing open and I would walk minus caffene. Sometimes this would be five to six kilometers. In the small rural villages the day takes a while to get going, and I found that I had no 'dragging desire' for my morning kick.
Sooo, my point is, you may find yourself in a similar situation and realize that the caffene can wait without a pinch. It's really quite liberating, a bit of invincibility begins to creep in.

Peace be with you.

Maybe you can wait, but MY brain needs this jump start. Without it, I am dangerous to myself.

In really extreme situations, I have in the past (when I was a lot younger) swallowed the instant packet dry, with bottled water. Okay, it’s a drug! But it gets my motor running.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Try out different types enroute, is my best suggestion. I surprisingly liked cafe solos the best, even though I’m not an espresso person at home. Good luck and have a nice walk

The CF is also known to me as Café Frequentes...
Due my prostate operation I have to stop for in and outlet every hour or so; - toilets cost you ½ a euro if you are polite, a coffee cost you a whole euro, so go figure.....
I am amazed I can sleep at night as I am heavily caffinated....but then there´s the red wine for the evening meal...

I sometimes take a caffeine pill (100 mg) if I know it'll be a while till we'll get to a bar. Not yummy like the cafés con leche but gives a little boost and takes away the craving.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

With milk - con leche

Hope this helps.
Sound familiar @TMinAlaska ?

I sometimes take a caffeine pill (100 mg) if I know it'll be a while till we'll get to a bar. Not yummy like the cafés con leche but gives a little boost and takes away the craving.
Hmmm...I will look in to a caffeine pill, methinks. My daily routine of a morning cappuccino has apparently given me an addiction whereby if I haven't had my "dose" within an hour or so, a headache begins. I can do without the comfort of my routine, but don't want to deal with the accompanying headache. I have considered carrying Fererro Pocket Coffee, but they are heavy.

The CF is also known to me as Café Frequentes...
Due my prostate operation I have to stop for in and outlet every hour or so; - toilets cost you ½ a euro if you are polite, a coffee cost you a whole euro, so go figure.....
I am amazed I can sleep at night as I am heavily caffinated....but then there´s the red wine for the evening meal...

I feel your pain...or I did. Since returning from Santiago last August, I've had three procedures on my prostate. I am three months out from the latest 'adventure.' It is nice to be able to sleep again at night as the every-30 minute trek is now a once or twice in 8-hours event.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love cafe con letche, but just got a new medical diagnosis and I am not supposed to have caffeine. I’m drinking decaf at home and it works just fine. Will be walking the Camino Ingles and Camino Finisterre next month . Does anyone know if decaffanated coffee is available in cafes along the routes?

Hmmm...I will look in to a caffeine pill, methinks. My daily routine of a morning cappuccino has apparently given me an addiction whereby if I haven't had my "dose" within an hour or so, a headache begins. I can do without the comfort of my routine, but don't want to deal with the accompanying headache. I have considered carrying Fererro Pocket Coffee, but they are heavy.
How about:
1) Via Instant Coffee - for a coffee fix
2) Nuun Boost - electrolyte tabs with caffeine
- both are probably easier on the tummy then a caffeine pill which is super acidic

Hi from DownUnder

Hope t

Hope this helps....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I love cafe con letche, but just got a new medical diagnosis and I am not supposed to have caffeine. I’m drinking decaf at home and it works just fine. Will be walking the Camino Ingles and Camino Finisterre next month . Does anyone know if decaffanated coffee is available in cafes along the routes?
Ditto. I loved the cafe con leche's on my last camino but alas next year I will be looking for an alternative. Good to hear de-caf is available. Psychosomatic coffee as I call it :-/

I've skipped all the posts above because I'm not a coffee drinker but Peg is. Back about 40 years ago she would occasionally order cafe au lait because she couldn't remember cafe con leche. She complained that it was never as good. Last time (2nd Spain trip) she remembered to use only the Spanish name.

Last edited:
I feel your pain...or I did. Since returning from Santiago last August, I've had three procedures on my prostate. I am three months out from the latest 'adventure.' It is nice to be able to sleep again at night as the every-3 minute trek is now a once or twice in 8-hours event.
thnx-
now 10 yrs since and never had it so good. Nothing like pulling yourself together and keep on...anyway walking was the training for my scar and look what that brought along....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fellow Australian thanking you for your question, it has been on my list just under the 'two or three undies' question. The 'watered down expresso' description of a Long Black has been a little confronting. That would be three shots with hot water to the top thank you very much! I'm no weakling!

Hi @Hilarious
I always got my first hit of coffee around a hour and a half after walking. A fellow Pelligrino mentioned to me that you never by pass a coffee opportunity when you see one open as you never know if it was your last.
Generally I had great coffees all the way, except when just arriving into Sarria (on a Sunday and where all the fake Pelligrino get off the bus to start) and needed a coffee but got my only crappy coffee from this commerical venue. Avoid this place. There are better stops after there. Don't forget your Jamon bocadilio or torilla with that coffee. Yum

Actually I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of lactose-free milk in Spain, even in the coffee shops!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi from DownUnder
Well, in England we have a saying, “ When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” In other words, drink the stuff the locals drink. We’re going to be on a journey of self discovery and sensory overload is par for the course. To experience things that are out of our own personal norm and embrace the difference. Their coffee might be like mud or dark brown dish water. But that is half the fun, doing it the way that do it. Throw caution to the wind and enjoy their coffee. It probably hasn’t hurt them. So it shouldn’t hurt us, that much!!
Buen Camino
Val&Tom

- last modification: you can ask for smal, normal or big size, so in the case of coffee with milk in it they will add so as not to serve smthng tto strong for you.

My favourite is a Café Cortado, which is a double espresso w a dash of milk to dampen the strength ( cortado - to cut off!) and some will ask if you want a small ( thimble) normal (small cup) or a grand mas (more mug size or large glass version...

However, I always like to start my stomach mildly by having a Café con Leche first thing around, and then the better tasting strong stuff when stopping during the day...
You will get one kind of coffee that you will be partial to in the end. Guaranteed....

Last edited:
If I were a graffitti tagging man, which I am not; I would tag in bold letters

T G I F C

thank God I found Coffee ! outside every café...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Decaf yes . In an interview a very successful billionaire said he liked hot water. It thought what? Millions of Chinese drink it. I take it with some milk in the evenings and it works like a charm. Maybe when you cannot find decaf.

I like Cafe Mochas at home and I'm wondering if I can get them in Spain. Does anyone know how to ask for Cafe Mochas in Spanish (if they are available)? I leave for my first Camino in two weeks

And here I thought Cegé con Leche was something to smoke. But I guess con le he should have giving it away.
Comes in decaf too great for on the go. But don’t know if in Spain available.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have corrected, should be café con leche, my mistake..

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.