• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st Camino Apr-May 2018

howlsthunder

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2018)
Camino Francés (2020)
Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a few months and since I currently have internet access I figured I should introduce myself. :) I'm planning on walking from SJPdP to Santiago (and possibly on to the coast; I'm flexible) early April-May 2018 (I can start whenever but need to get back home before May 20-ish).

My decision to walk the Camino seems very random to my family but it feels very important to me. Several years ago, my life exploded with financial and health problems and I lost 5 family members (mostly cancer), including my mom whom I was very close to. I used to have a full-time career that during all of this I ditched to work a seasonal summer job in Katmai National Park, Alaska, much to the confusion of my family. But for me it is very emotionally and mentally fulfilling and I do better there physically as well. However, I still struggle with my spirituality since everything went wrong those years ago.

Then last summer a long-time guest of ours in the park with whom I've had many great existential conversations, told me how he and his wife had just completed their first Camino prior to visiting camp that year. I'd never thought much about Spain and hadn't heard of the Camino, but hearing about his journey sparked something for me and I took note of it for later.

When I came home from camp last summer, I was chatting to a friend of mine and it turns out SHE had also walked the Camino a few years ago, so I listened to her take on it. And a few months later, I mentioned the Camino to a co-worker/friend of mine from camp and turns out the Camino is something she's wanted to experience for years and would go with me if I wanted to go.

Hmm.

I was feeling a bit lost in regards to my life when a question was put to me, "What would you like to do - RIGHT NOW, if you could do anything, what would it be?" And I said walk/hike. Just GO. It's not about destination, it's about journey - I just want to go and be moving. And I admitted to myself that the first walk/hike that comes to mind when I think about this is the Camino. It's different from any kind of walk or hike I've done and though I am not Christian the spiritual aspect resonates. I'm socially anxious about going places where I know nothing and don't speak the language. But from what I've read there's enough infrastructure for pilgrims that this isn't a hindrance. I think it would be very good for me to experience a Camino like this, away from anything familiar and learn more confidence. Reading the forums here has really inspired me and as random as it seems to the outside observer (my friends pegged me as more of an Appalachian Trail/Pacific Crest Trail gal though I've never backpacked longer than 3 nights), it just seems right.

Anyhow, thanks for listening to my ramble; I really appreciate this forum and am excited to hopefully walk my Camino April-May 2018. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you both, @falcon269 and @Bala! The planning is fun so far; I've got almost a year before I'm walking but planning keeps my chin up and has me excited in the mean time. I'm trying to strike a balance of researching gear and logistics while simultaneously trying to read up very little on the sights along the CF itself so as to be surprised while I'm there. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back