• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

21 days starting from Irun- Busses?

giocajouer

Time of past OR future Camino
August/September 2013
:D Hello!

I am going to walk the Camino del Norte with a friend. We are extremely determined to start from Irun even though we only have 21 days. ( We are going to spend 29 days in spain so flights/etc/ are not included).

We are planning on walking 25-30 km a day. (We are in fairly good shape and 20-years old so I hope this is realistic?)

We are planning on walking for example:

Irun->Santander 231km (approx 9/10 days)

BUS/TRAIN from Santander to Oviedo/Gijon

Walking from Oviedo to Santiago 300 km approx 10 days.

Does anyone have any tips/ideas? What are good gaps/towns for using public transport?
Thank you so much!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Most of the gronze stages are listed for 5 to 6 hours hiking, wich leaves time visit churches, museums, etc. If your main goal is getting it done, you should be able to hike 8 hour days with a nice siesta, which would allow you to complete your goal. Start slow the first few days to build up.

When I was a student in spain without a single penny, I'd sleep wherever looked comfortable, and was never bothered. ..

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If your main goal is getting it done, you should be able to hike 8 hour days with a nice siesta, which would allow you to complete your goal.

If you walk 8 hours a day on the Camino del Norte , you won´t be getting up from that siesta very quickly within a few days.;)

Buen Camino!

I note your question is use of public transport so I can give advice based on what I had to do-Gernika to Bilbao (train). 2 stages skipped. You can walk an ancient path from Sobrado de Monxes skipping Arzua into Santa Irene (long day, no food on route). I will go back over my route and see can I give you more advice. Some of the days are very long between the Alberques. I will be back.!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can get from Santander to Gijon quite easily, the ALSA bus http://www.alsa.es/en/ takes 2.5 hours and they run a quite a few times every day. It runs in the 15-30 Euro range.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back