• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 21-29: 10 Day Itinerary Feedback

newbie24

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hi everyone, we are planning our first camino this May 20-29th 2024 and want to walk the Norte route. This is our first time in Spain and on the camino so we want to do a little bit of everything, tour some important towns/cities, see the regions of northern spain and walk on the most picturesque routes. We are generally fit people, regularly hike throughout the year and dont mind a little challenge :). We love everything nature and outdoors!

I apologize in advance for my post not being entirely about the camino route. Please let me know if this isnt allowed and I will find elsewhere to get information from.

But here's what we have been able to list. As you can see, there is too much transit involved and not enough resting time but we are at our wits end about what to change. Please share your advice on what we should cut out and if some routes are better advised than others we have listed. Unfortunately, flights are booked so unable to move dates around.

Thankyou for all the valuable resources available here and for everyone's sense of humor and generosity!

20th MayArrive Madrid 8AM. Take Flight: Madrid to Irun
21stCamino: Irún - San Sebastián
22nd (Basque Country)Camino: San Sebastián – Zarautz
Bus/Train to Bilbao
23rd (Basque Country)Tour Bilbao
- Guggenheim Museum,
- Cathedral of Santiago,
- Castle Rock, SAN JUAN DE GATZELUGATXE
Bus/Train to Laredo
24thCamino: Laredo – Güemes
25th (Cantabria)Camino: Güemes– Santander
Bus/Train to Santillana
26th (Cantabria)Camino: Santillana del Mar -- Comillas
Bus/Train to Colombres
27th (Cantabria)Camino: Colombres -- Llanes
28th (Asturias)Tour Llanes, Gijon, Aviles, Oviedo, Navia, Ribadeo
Picos de Europa???
29th Wednesday (Galicia)Coastal train to A Coruña
Late Night flight to Madrid
30th May, Thursday12PM flight from Madrid, 5PM arrive RDU

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tour Llanes, Gijon, Aviles, Oviedo, Navia, Ribadeo
Picos de Europa
I assume you are asking which one, because any of these places would require a day if not two to itself to appreciate on the most superficial level. Looking at your itinerary, I have to say you are trying to crowd in much too much in such a short time, and you are likely to end up exhausted and disappointed if you try to do it all. Spend a day in Bilbao? Why not. And a day in Oviedo? Excellent idea. Everything else? Save it for next time.

And incidentally, I have walked from Irún to San Sebastian. I wouldn´t fancy doing it the day after getting off a transatlantic flight.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone, we are planning our first camino this May 20-29th 2024 and want to walk the Norte route. This is our first time in Spain and on the camino so we want to do a little bit of everything, tour some important towns/cities, see the regions of northern spain and walk on the most picturesque routes. We are generally fit people, regularly hike throughout the year and dont mind a little challenge :). We love everything nature and outdoors!

I apologize in advance for my post not being entirely about the camino route. Please let me know if this isnt allowed and I will find elsewhere to get information from.

But here's what we have been able to list. As you can see, there is too much transit involved and not enough resting time but we are at our wits end about what to change. Please share your advice on what we should cut out and if some routes are better advised than others we have listed. Unfortunately, flights are booked so unable to move dates around.

Thankyou for all the valuable resources available here and for everyone's sense of humor and generosity!

20th MayArrive Madrid 8AM. Take Flight: Madrid to Irun
21stCamino: Irún - San Sebastián
22nd (Basque Country)Camino: San Sebastián – Zarautz
Bus/Train to Bilbao
23rd (Basque Country)Tour Bilbao
- Guggenheim Museum,
- Cathedral of Santiago,
- Castle Rock, SAN JUAN DE GATZELUGATXE
Bus/Train to Laredo
24thCamino: Laredo – Güemes
25th (Cantabria)Camino: Güemes– Santander
Bus/Train to Santillana
26th (Cantabria)Camino: Santillana del Mar -- Comillas
Bus/Train to Colombres
27th (Cantabria)Camino: Colombres -- Llanes
28th (Asturias)Tour Llanes, Gijon, Aviles, Oviedo, Navia, Ribadeo
Picos de Europa???
29th Wednesday (Galicia)Coastal train to A Coruña
Late Night flight to Madrid
30th May, Thursday12PM flight from Madrid, 5PM arrive RDU
And incidentally, I have walked from Irún to San Sebastian. I wouldn´t fancy doing it the day after getting off a transatlantic flight.
The first thing I thought after reading arrive in Madrid on the 20th and start walking on the 21st was this is not a very smart idea. It is a very long and for almost all a tough day of walking. I couldn't agree more with @dick bird.

Your itinerary is better suited for a trip in a rental car.
After reading your itinerary and then seeing @naplesdon post I also could not agree more.

This itinerary, to me, looks like a recipe for disaster. But that is just me.
Honestly, and this is not meant to be rude but you are not walking a camino, you just want to walk on the camino for a day or so here and there. My suggestion is to do some half day hikes on or off the camino and go to less places. You could spend a couple of days in San Sebastian and do some hikes and spend a couple of days in Bilbao. I would go online and find out some nice day hikes along the coast that you can take that are very close to the cities you want to visit.
Call you visit what it really. A nice vacation. Do a couple of day hikes, hopefully incorporating walking on the camino. Then when you have more time walk on the camino and truly live the experience.

Last edited:
It's a beautiful coastal area with quaint coastal villages, hopping cities and delightful people. Slow WAAAAY down and enjoy just a few. Like Naplesdon says, rent a car. Maybe in Bilbao. Stick to the east. Or rent in Santander and go west. Buen Camino
ps. I have walked around the Guggenheim several times. Spectacular. Walked through it once. That was enough.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.