2yrs planning 1yr delay only 6 months to go

Jan 26, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
planing the camino May/June 2022
Greetings! I am new to this forum and starting to get excited and apprehensive at the same time. Leave of absence approved, flights are booked, reservations made in SJPDP and waiting to book Orrison. My departure date is mid May and I wanting to book Orrison and then most of the rest of the way will most likely be what will be. Not sure what to expect with the bed race, are there enough beds? Should we be reserving a day or two in advance? I have no idea what to expect. Just following along and keeping hope that things will work out. How far away are we from your departure?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
Hi! Welcome to the forum. You'll get all the information you need, and more, so please ask whatever you want and be patient with all the different opinions you will get.

Since May and September are the busiest months for starting from SJPP, you have the right idea for the start - booking SJPP and Orrison. Depending on how things evolve (we have no way of predicting) you might want to reserve up to and including Pamplona. From that point there are more frequent choices of where to stop for the night and people start to spread out. I would expect it to be fine to wait until you are on the Camino and then book 1 or 2 days ahead.

For preparation, the most important thing is to get the right footwear. If you have any questions about that, have a look at the threads tagged with foot wear & care.

How many days do you have, to walk?

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Depending on how things evolve (we have no way of predicting) you might want to reserve up to and including Pamplona
The last time I was on the Francés was May 2019. I was glad that I booked up through Pamplona. The stage before Pamplona ending at Zubiri or Larrasoaña can really be a bottleneck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jan 26, 2020
Alberta, Canada
planing the camino May/June 2022
Hi! Welcome to the forum. You'll get all the information you need, and more, so please ask whatever you want and be patient with all the different opinions you will get.

Since May and September are the busiest months for starting from SJPP, you have the right idea for the start - booking SJPP and Orrison. Depending on how things evolve (we have no way of predicting) you might want to reserve up to and including Pamplona. From that point there are more frequent choices of where to stop for the night and people start to spread out. I would expect it to be fine to wait until you are on the Camino and then book 1 or 2 days ahead.

For preparation, the most important thing is to get the right footwear. If you have any questions about that, have a look at the threads tagged with foot wear & care.

How many days do you have, to walk?
May 16 to June 21 is the plan but my flight home isn't until the 27th of June so I have flexibility. I will check out the foot wear and care, thank-you

Pipmahoe

Apr 26, 2018
Frances June 2018
Central Portuguese April 2019 8 weeks post hip replacement!
I walked the Frances in 2018, the best advice I got was….if you plan on stopping either the village before or after the ‘set’ stage in the guide books you’ll find there is less of a bottle neck for accommodations. I found that The majority of pilgrims tend to use Brierly guide books which I too used, they are very useful.

Reactions: Schamber
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

CA_Pilgrim

Aug 22, 2011
Buellton, California
El Camino Real de California
Camino Frances (2017)
May 16 to June 21 is the plan but my flight home isn't until the 27th of June so I have flexibility. I will check out the foot wear and care, thank-you
We'll probably cross paths! I'm taking it a bit slower, I'm planning to average around 12 miles per day with built in rest days about every 7 days. I start on May 10 and plan to arrive in Santiago on June 20 to celebrate my 65th birthday.

This has been 10 years in the making for me. I originally was going to do it for my 55th birthday, but work and life got in the way, then 60th and the same thing happened. Now at 64/65, I'm partially retired and have already told my employer that I plan to take May and June off next year.

Ellann

Dec 10, 2015
Australia
Portuguese Camino 2022
French Camino 2024
We'll probably cross paths! I'm taking it a bit slower, I'm planning to average around 12 miles per day with built in rest days about every 7 days. I start on May 10 and plan to arrive in Santiago on June 20 to celebrate my 65th birthday.

This has been 10 years in the making for me. I originally was going to do it for my 55th birthday, but work and life got in the way, then 60th and the same thing happened. Now at 64/65, I'm partially retired and have already told my employer that I plan to take May and June off next year.
Your story is similar to mine, many years in the planning. So many delays but finally Flights booked to Porto mid May and ever hopeful Covid is under control. I will be 63 still working full time but taking 6 weeks off, and not really planning or booking ahead.

Reactions: WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Jan 22, 2013
Seattle
Camino Frances April/May 2024
Greetings! I am new to this forum and starting to get excited and apprehensive at the same time. Leave of absence approved, flights are booked, reservations made in SJPDP and waiting to book Orrison. My departure date is mid May and I wanting to book Orrison and then most of the rest of the way will most likely be what will be. Not sure what to expect with the bed race, are there enough beds? Should we be reserving a day or two in advance? I have no idea what to expect. Just following along and keeping hope that things will work out. How far away are we from your departure?
Hi Amy, welcome to the forum. My daughter and I will start from SJPDP May 14th and have booked Orrison and will book the next 2 stops after that then just wing it as I don’t want our Camino to be so controlled by booking beds in advance not knowing days we may need a rest etc. Still searching for decent flights from Seattle to Paris and we gave ourselves 7 weeks as I will be 66yrs old on December so need that wiggle room. I have wanted to do this for over 15 years but life happened, my husband passed away in 2014 and then our 2020 Camino was cancelled due to shutdowns.….so I’m just about to start training here at home with my treadmill, Total Gym, rowing machine and a rebounder as I have work to do in losing some weight and strengthening muscles from previous health issues. Congratulations on deciding to start your Camino! 👍🏼🥾😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.