• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3G/4G coverge

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am not sure what all these letters mean.
You and your electronica will be fine when near to cities, but do not count on any kind of coverage out in the wilds beyond. Sometimes I am lucky to receive even regular mobile telephone calls in my little town. And that often is a good thing.

Reb.

I think LTE (Long Term Evolution) has been installed/tested in Madrid, but it is not widespread. The 3G coverage is decent.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
mustbjones said:
Is the 3G/4G coverage very good on the Camino, or is France/Spain all gone LTE?

If you are walking from SJPdP you will be crossing about 800 km (500 mi) of Spain.
The same distance in any country would give you many answers. In many places there is no coverage at all and the quality varies constantly.
Think about walking 800 km from where you live and think how the cell reception would change.

If we used 3G as part of our data package, it would have cost a fortune ! I don't know if that applies to your plan? But there is free wifi nearly everywhere, in bars and albergues, so we used that instead. In some of the more remote places there is no signal, Foncebadon springs to mind .
Hope this helps ....

I had 3G for less than 10E per week, so look for pay as you go plans. You will need and unlocked GSM phone to use a Spanish SIM.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all for your response, especially Diegomartine. I am glad to hear that the iPhone 5 is "still" unlocked. Were you with Verizon or ATT or Sprint? Just might make a difference if your carrier in the US is ATT (GSM), not Verison (CDMA)

I took my unlocked 3GS to Verizon to see about switching to them, and they said that I could not because they do not use SIM chips! If you have a Verizon iPhone, it may not work in Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
mustbjones said:
Thank you all for your response, especially Diegomartine. I am glad to hear that the iPhone 5 is "still" unlocked. Were you with Verizon or ATT or Sprint? Just might make a difference if your carrier in the US is ATT (GSM), not Verison (CDMA)

Dear mustbjones,

I have a Verizon iPhone 5, all the Verizon's iphones are factory unlocked! that means that you are all set... They are also compatible with GSM and CDMA.

So, does not matter if you have an iPhone 5 with Verizon, AT&T or Sprint, you can use it on Spain, no problems! If you have Verizon you are all set! If you have ATT or Sprint you need to check if is necessary to unlock the phone.

Verizon recommend me to call the customer service before leaving US so they can register on the system that I'm leaving for X days.

Thanks!

If you have AT&T
DATA PACKAGES
Using Data Outside the U.S.

Sign up for an affordable data package for your smartphone, laptop, or tablet before you travel abroad. Packages provide discounted cellular data rates in more than 140 countries*. Wi-Fi is now available in select countries on packages $60 and higher for iPhone®, iPad®, and Android™ devices.

Package/Pay-Per-Use Rates

Details
Data Global Add-On Packages A monthly cellular data allotment for smartphones, laptops and tablets available when traveling in over 140 countries.* Check email, download maps, make reservations and more.

Monthly Included Cellular
Data in Over
140 Countries Included Wi-Fi in
Select Countries**
$30 120MB
Overage: $30/120MB

Other Countries: $0.0195KB N/A
$60 300MB

Other Countries: $0.0195KB 1GB
$120 800MB
Other Countries: $0.0195KB 1GB

One-month minimum required. Discounted countries/carriers subject to change. Must be added to existing domestic data plan.

*For a list of countries and carriers included in Data Global Add-On Packages visit att.com/globalcountries.

**Requires a download and activation of AT&T Wi-Fi International App. Available for iPhone and Android devices at participating international hotspots within select countries. See att.com/intlwifi for a list of countries and more information.

Pay-Per-Use $0.015/KB Canada
$0.0195/KB Rest of World

LOG IN to myAT&T to add an international data package to your account. Eligibility requirements apply.
International Prepaid Data Packages
DataConnect Pass Global

The perfect solution for customers with a laptop, netbook or tablet who want to limit usage or prepay for international data capability.

DataConnect Pass Global Packages* are available in the same cellular data allotments as the Data Global Add-On Packages and are good for 30 days (Wi-Fi is not available with these packages). To purchase, visit att.com/buyasession. Apple® iPad® customers must buy from their device: Tap Settings>Cellular Data>View Account. Next, log in to your account and select “Add International Plan” to view options.
France and Spain are included. The cost is more than getting a SIM chip, but the hassle-free service addition might be worth it.

Diagomartine,

Does the service you chose (Vodafone) allow you to use your iPhone 5 as a hotspot? I will be bringing an iPad mini and my friend has an iPod Touch.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have used both my AT&T iPhone and iPad in Europe and Israel - normally using wi-fi with no problems. Although you have to "buy" a one month minimum plan, when you return home you can cancel and then it is prorated for the time it was actually active.

Buen Camino

mustbjones said:
Diagomartine,

Does the service you chose (Vodafone) allow you to use your iPhone 5 as a hotspot? I will be bringing an iPad mini and my friend has an iPod Touch.

Not sure on that one mustbjones...

BUT, I will say yes, because your phone is already unlocked to act as a hotspot on Verizon.

I think a hot spot requires 4G, and most of Spain is 3G. I am not sure that you can get 4G even if you buy a cell phone in Spain.

Ivar? Is 4G available?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can do the hotspot over 3G too, no problem.

The only restriction can be on the Vodafone network, some time they lock this option.

I don't quite understand how the "pay-as-you-go" works exactly. Can someone give me a short tutorial? Is there some sort of app that tracks usage and money balance? How do you add to it? or do you have to buy a new SIM each time?

how the "pay-as-you-go" works exactly
You buy the SIM chip and put credit on it. As you make calls, your balance goes down. When you reach zero, only 112 works. You can add money to your account at phone stores, tobacco shops, newsstands, and some supermarkets. There is an option at most ATM's to add money to your account, but I have never tried it.

For data service, there is a weekly minimum charge. If you use more data than your allotment, your balance goes down. I generally get the one month plan with about 1G of data. It keeps me from having to add money too often. On a weekly plan, your data rate may be reduced, but the 1G plan keeps up the speed.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
falcon269 said:
As you make calls, your balance goes down. When you reach zero, only 112 works. You can add money to your account at phone stores, tobacco shops, newsstands, and some supermarkets.

That is where things get fuzzy for me. How do you track your balance on an iPhone?
falcon269 said:
I generally get the one month plan with about 1G of data.

Diegomartine sent me to this website http://yu.vodafone.es/#!/tarifas-de-pre ... co/tarifas (which unfortunately I cannot translate.) This one, http://www.simcardspain.es/en/118-vodaf ... spain.html translate to English. Do I understand it correctly? I get 1G data, and 100 minutes for ~25 bucks a month?

PS Does a Spanish SIM work in France?
PSS I am willing to take this off line with either you or Diegomartine

The Spanish SIM will not work in France.

Getting your balance is a tricky thing. I got a number from Vodafone on one trip, and it worked. The next trip, it did not. I asked the clerk how to get the balance, and she said there was no way. This last trip, the clerk gave me a number, and it worked. So ask, and you may receive!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Vodafone is all over the place, but do not offer a unified service!!!

I like Orange in France.

mustbjones said:
falcon269 said:
As you make calls, your balance goes down. When you reach zero, only 112 works. You can add money to your account at phone stores, tobacco shops, newsstands, and some supermarkets.

That is where things get fuzzy for me. How do you track your balance on an iPhone?
falcon269 said:
I generally get the one month plan with about 1G of data.

Diegomartine sent me to this website http://yu.vodafone.es/#!/tarifas-de-pre ... co/tarifas (which unfortunately I cannot translate.) This one, http://www.simcardspain.es/en/118-vodaf ... spain.html translate to English. Do I understand it correctly? I get 1G data, and 100 minutes for ~25 bucks a month?

PS Does a Spanish SIM work in France?
PSS I am willing to take this off line with either you or Diegomartine

Check your balance
You know the available balance on your card at all times Vodafone.

How it Works

You can dial * 134 # or call toll free 22 134

What does it cost?

€ 0.15 (0.18 € VAT Inc.)

Legal:

May not be used in the promotional balance Roaming calls at any numbering those aimed at providing gateway services, premium rate services (803, 806, 807, 905) and numbers of telephone consultation on subscriber numbers (188AB) and and data services, SMS and MMS. Also, not the promotional balance is allocated to the payment of fees for products or services that are not provided bonuses or promotions. To use the promotional balance the customer must have purchased credits minimum of 0.15 euros + VAT. Vodafone reserves the right to determine at any time the campaigns that may be used as promotional balance period expire.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am sorry Diegomartine, but I do not read Spanish, nor do I see a way to set the webpage to English.

Most read last week in this forum

I've now completed 3 Caminos including the Francés, Inglés (with a León-Sarria side trip) and Arles-Aragónes-Francés. I've hiked and backpacked most of my life. I've learned from others and by...
I'm currently refining my packing list for the Camino Frances, starting in SJPDP on September 24, and walking through to the end of October/beginning of November. While I understand that the...
I will be finishing the first half of the Norte in about 3 days and then transferring to the Primitivo. I have a couple of blisters that my hiking boots just seemed to keep rubbing on and I think...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back