• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
As many of you know I have something of an obsession about reducing the weight I carry. (On my back not me personally - that is a totally different and apparently less easily resolved issue :(). I was tempted recently to try going really light but I did not have enough confidence to do so. However one day during my recent Camino I sent my bag ahead and did a trial. It worked well! So this is it for my next time - pictures attached.
bag2.jpg

bag1.jpg Contents?
Dry bag containing silk liner, glass case
Dry bag containing towel, [toothbrush/paste, razor (and cut stick :)), all-in-one shampoo/soap/washing liquid, nappy pins (for washing) in ziplock], [first aid bits in another ziplock], [spare sealable plastic food bags and tissues (forest toilet? Fortunately this has only happened to me once.) in another ziplock]
Dry bag containing a pair of zip offs, two pairs of socks, two pairs of boxers, two t-shirts
Soft shell coat, waterproof coat, hat, light gloves Yes I know two spare sets of clothes is a luxury but I will carry the extra 250g for the convenience of not washing every day!
Dry bag containing two chargers and two spare batteries for my phone. Yes another none essential, but my phone is my camera, my guide, my e-reader as ell as my contact with my family and those I meet on the way. I use a separate charger so I always have my phone with me.
As you can see my sandals hang outside. They are heavy, but I love them too much to use flip flops.
So there it is. I have been home 3 days and already packing and weighing again! Surely there is no hope for me! I definitely need to found Caminolics! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is an example of OCD.

Isn't it funny how we can apply it to some aspect of our lives and not others.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OCD if you like Joe but in truth my body is starting to protest at my Caminoing so I am trying to find ways of conning it that I actually am looking after it.;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Haha Arn. OK, not the first time it's been suggested. I give in! I have created one. Let's hope it provides a bit of fun. I guess you are have no choice but to be the moderator pal! HaHa more work for you. :)

Hi Al
where are your walking poles and water? I too am obsessed with minimising weight due to two bulging discs in back. Can easily carry 5 kg with no problem but concerned about the weight of water. Any advice? Cheers Lisa

I carry the water in two half litre bottles on my belt so the weight is on my hips. The poles are strange as it might seem in my hands. Bear in mind this bag weight includes my hat, gloves and my coats which I may well be wearing!

I carry the water in two half litre bottles on my belt so the weight is on my hips. The poles are strange as it might seem in my hands!

Good idea for the water in waist belt. I found on recent 5 day trek on Great Wall and surrounding jungle that I often would have one pole in my backpack and the other in my hand :).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been home 3 days and already packing and weighing again! Surely there is no hope for me! I definitely need to found Caminolics! :)[/QUOTE said:
Hello Al,
I now how you feel. I joined up and started the 12 step program with Caminolics and then gave it up. o_O
Welcome home! Buen Camino

As many of you know I have something of an obsession about reducing the weight I carry. (On my back not me personally - that is a totally different and apparently less easily resolved issue :(). I was tempted recently to try going really light but I did not have enough confidence to do so. However one day during my recent Camino I sent my bag ahead and did a trial. It worked well! So this is it for my next time - pictures attached.
View attachment 13838

View attachment 13840 Contents?
Dry bag containing silk liner, glass case
Dry bag containing towel, [toothbrush/paste, razor (and cut stick :)), all-in-one shampoo/soap/washing liquid, nappy pins (for washing) in ziplock], [first aid bits in another ziplock], [spare sealable plastic food bags and tissues (forest toilet? Fortunately this has only happened to me once.) in another ziplock]
Dry bag containing a pair of zip offs, two pairs of socks, two pairs of boxers, two t-shirts
Soft shell coat, waterproof coat, hat, light gloves Yes I know two spare sets of clothes is a luxury but I will carry the extra 250g for the convenience of not washing every day!
Dry bag containing two chargers and two spare batteries for my phone. Yes another none essential, but my phone is my camera, my guide, my e-reader as ell as my contact with my family and those I meet on the way. I use a separate charger so I always have my phone with me.
As you can see my sandals hang outside. They are heavy, but I love them too much to use flip flops.
So there it is. I have been home 3 days and already packing and weighing again! Surely there is no hope for me! I definitely need to found Caminolics! :)
Looks great! How much does it weigh?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can I be the first member of the caminolics. I pack and repack my ruck sack regularly too. Got mine down to 3.5kg. Need to add water and food though.
Just waiting for the new hip to settle.

Most read last week in this forum

Is it possible to take a shower in the morning at an albergue if they run out of hot water in the evening?
Dumb as it might seem, it's only recently sunk in that a good deal of some camino routes might be on vehicular roads rather than walking trails. I don't really mean the town and village-y bit...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back