• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
As many of you know I have something of an obsession about reducing the weight I carry. (On my back not me personally - that is a totally different and apparently less easily resolved issue :(). I was tempted recently to try going really light but I did not have enough confidence to do so. However one day during my recent Camino I sent my bag ahead and did a trial. It worked well! So this is it for my next time - pictures attached.
bag2.jpg

bag1.jpg Contents?
Dry bag containing silk liner, glass case
Dry bag containing towel, [toothbrush/paste, razor (and cut stick :)), all-in-one shampoo/soap/washing liquid, nappy pins (for washing) in ziplock], [first aid bits in another ziplock], [spare sealable plastic food bags and tissues (forest toilet? Fortunately this has only happened to me once.) in another ziplock]
Dry bag containing a pair of zip offs, two pairs of socks, two pairs of boxers, two t-shirts
Soft shell coat, waterproof coat, hat, light gloves Yes I know two spare sets of clothes is a luxury but I will carry the extra 250g for the convenience of not washing every day!
Dry bag containing two chargers and two spare batteries for my phone. Yes another none essential, but my phone is my camera, my guide, my e-reader as ell as my contact with my family and those I meet on the way. I use a separate charger so I always have my phone with me.
As you can see my sandals hang outside. They are heavy, but I love them too much to use flip flops.
So there it is. I have been home 3 days and already packing and weighing again! Surely there is no hope for me! I definitely need to found Caminolics! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is an example of OCD.

Isn't it funny how we can apply it to some aspect of our lives and not others.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OCD if you like Joe but in truth my body is starting to protest at my Caminoing so I am trying to find ways of conning it that I actually am looking after it.;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Haha Arn. OK, not the first time it's been suggested. I give in! I have created one. Let's hope it provides a bit of fun. I guess you are have no choice but to be the moderator pal! HaHa more work for you. :)

Hi Al
where are your walking poles and water? I too am obsessed with minimising weight due to two bulging discs in back. Can easily carry 5 kg with no problem but concerned about the weight of water. Any advice? Cheers Lisa

I carry the water in two half litre bottles on my belt so the weight is on my hips. The poles are strange as it might seem in my hands. Bear in mind this bag weight includes my hat, gloves and my coats which I may well be wearing!

I carry the water in two half litre bottles on my belt so the weight is on my hips. The poles are strange as it might seem in my hands!

Good idea for the water in waist belt. I found on recent 5 day trek on Great Wall and surrounding jungle that I often would have one pole in my backpack and the other in my hand :).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have been home 3 days and already packing and weighing again! Surely there is no hope for me! I definitely need to found Caminolics! :)[/QUOTE said:
Hello Al,
I now how you feel. I joined up and started the 12 step program with Caminolics and then gave it up. o_O
Welcome home! Buen Camino

As many of you know I have something of an obsession about reducing the weight I carry. (On my back not me personally - that is a totally different and apparently less easily resolved issue :(). I was tempted recently to try going really light but I did not have enough confidence to do so. However one day during my recent Camino I sent my bag ahead and did a trial. It worked well! So this is it for my next time - pictures attached.
View attachment 13838

View attachment 13840 Contents?
Dry bag containing silk liner, glass case
Dry bag containing towel, [toothbrush/paste, razor (and cut stick :)), all-in-one shampoo/soap/washing liquid, nappy pins (for washing) in ziplock], [first aid bits in another ziplock], [spare sealable plastic food bags and tissues (forest toilet? Fortunately this has only happened to me once.) in another ziplock]
Dry bag containing a pair of zip offs, two pairs of socks, two pairs of boxers, two t-shirts
Soft shell coat, waterproof coat, hat, light gloves Yes I know two spare sets of clothes is a luxury but I will carry the extra 250g for the convenience of not washing every day!
Dry bag containing two chargers and two spare batteries for my phone. Yes another none essential, but my phone is my camera, my guide, my e-reader as ell as my contact with my family and those I meet on the way. I use a separate charger so I always have my phone with me.
As you can see my sandals hang outside. They are heavy, but I love them too much to use flip flops.
So there it is. I have been home 3 days and already packing and weighing again! Surely there is no hope for me! I definitely need to found Caminolics! :)
Looks great! How much does it weigh?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can I be the first member of the caminolics. I pack and repack my ruck sack regularly too. Got mine down to 3.5kg. Need to add water and food though.
Just waiting for the new hip to settle.

Most read last week in this forum

A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in arzua? Thanks for any suggestions!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back