• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4-5 weeks enough ???

Bem48

Bem in Sydney
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008 Camino del Norte 2011 VdlP 2013
Levante in 2019?
Hi there,
I will be walking the "del Norte" in May to early June. At the most I have close to 5 weeks time.
Will this amount of time be enough to walk the 850km comfortabely from Irun to
SdC, still having time for rest/sightseeing days etc?
I walked the "frances" in 2008 in 29 days, but thought, some sections I should have done
slower, wished I stayed here or there longer etc.
My question today to those who have walked the entire "del Norte": do you consider
some section could be taken by bus, to save time? Are there some sections less
picturesque, less attractive, where a bus-ride would free up time, which could be spent
then longer in other places??
Thank you for replies and advice

Bem in Sydney

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
We did the Norte (all along the coast) in June/July 2009 and had plenty of time included 3 days in Bilbao (1 is enough to see the museum...1 extra day in Santander and a side trip for 1 day in Oviedo..(then we trained it back to the coast at Aviles) all this in 37 days so I would say 35 days would be fine. We had a few 11 km day and did low Km only two days did we walk close to 30km...so you could do it quicker than we did. Its worth doing it ALL . The metro in Bilbao to Portulaguette is worth it.
Cheers Jill

Forget the bus!

There is a narrow guage train running along the North Coast from San Sebastian (from France initially). The Camino route frequently crosses the track. It is incredibly convenient to hop on and off at stops if you think you're running out of time. Ticket machines at all unmanned village stations. Very good value.

I got stuck in Santander with a foot injury, then spent a couple of weeks in Santillana del Mar selling sketches and paintings (it's a tourist hotspot) so, I can't really say how much time I spent actually walking. I also continued along the coast from La Coruña to Fisterra and walked/bussed to Santiago.

You really don't need to plan your time. If you fancy staying in a place for a while, just make up the hours with €4 train ride when you leave. It really is that convenient. Trains almost every hour.

All the best,

John.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Bem

My companion and I walked the del Norte in September 2009in 33 days, including 2 rest days. I am glad we saw all of it and cannot offer any recommendations on bits to miss. You will find the stretch between Irun and Bilbao tougher than anything on the Frances.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Thanks Jill, John and Alan for your replies and encouragments. Very helpful!!
Does this narrow gauge rail have a name? And from where to where does it run?
John, you mentioned right into France....Bayonne ??
I'm looking for a convenient connection from either Santander or Bilbao to
Bayonne, to connect ultimately with SJPdP, for friends coming from NZ via
Madrid and Santander or Bilbao. Any help??
Thanks again
Buen Camino
Bem from Sydney

I walked from San Sebastian to Santiago in 2009, taking 34 days, some of which were very short. Between San Sebastian and Bilbao is more strenuous than the Frances with some VERY steep down hill sections which would be dangerous in wet weather.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Euskotren.

http://www.maint.com/GreenSpain/

It's relevant to your 'Pamplona Connection' thread also.

I think some of the smaller stops are actually request stops. It's also slow - stopping every 2KM, or so often. But, it's cheap, convenient and passes through some very picturesque countryside at a relaxed pace.

I've met many pilgrims from Aus/NZ, the States and other 'distant lands' who have had concerns about time. There seems to be an attitude that almost verges on accusations of cheating amongst some about taking buses and trains! Who knows? - This may be the only chance you get to walk camino. For me, the most important stretch is the final 5 day approach to Santiago de Compostela. I think the point of absolution (for those who consider these things important) is 100KM.

I was lucky. I had absolutely no time limit and often back-tracked on trains and buses to complete work and fund my journey onwards. My advice to those on a restricted timescale is make sure you save 5 days for the final stretch. If you have to skip a bit on train, or bus, then do it in the earlier stages.

Thank you, AJ and John, for your replies and advice !
Much appreciated, especially the idea with the EuskoTren.
Buen Camino,
Bem in Sydney

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.