• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 or 5 days as a taster - Fisterra - Santiago or Pamplona - Logrona

LucyO

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi all, what a great resource this is!

Some friends and I have carved out a week at the end of September, probably 4 days walking, maybe 5. We will be travelling from the UK, what's our best option to get a good taster? Not too worried about the certificate, small children and hectic lives this is realistically a one-off or something to do in sections, so not fussed about doing the same bit twice as that's highly optimistic!

Fisterra to Santiago (or the other way?), Pamplona to Logrona..... or any other suggestions?

Want to get some good walking in, but also appreciate the journey, views, villages, vino and good food along the route. Also need good access to the airport for getting in and out!

Any advice much appreciated!

Lucy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would go from Pamplona to Logroño, as you'll be going with the flow of other pilgrims and others may also need to go back home once they reach Logroño or Burgos, etc. If you started in Finisterre and walked back to Santiago, you would meet a few pilgrims, but most will be going from Santiago to Finisterre AND the great majority of them will have already done another Camino right beforehand. You may find connecting with pilgrims from Pamplona easier than connecting with the Finisterre - Santiago or Santiago - Finisterre walkers.

You could also consider walking from Ferrol to Santiago on the Camino Inglés. It's about 115 km and very doable in 5 days. And airport access will be easy - fly into La Coruña or Santiago and then get a bus or train up to Ferrol. Beautiful walk, ocean and rivers nearby, and a "complete" Camino in and of itself. It's also getting more popular so you'll meet other pilgrims.

Hope that helps and Buen Camino!
Faith

Hi Lucy

For my birthday in April this year, a small group of friends / family joined me for a one week trip to walk the Camino from Santiago to Muxia and Finesterre.

Easyjet fly from LGW to Santiago on Saturdays, and because we booked early our return flight was around £60 each person.

Our schedule was as follows:
Saturday - Fly to Santiago
Sunday - Walk from Santiago to Negreira (around 22km)
Monday - Negreira to Mt Aro (around 28km)
Tuesday - Mt Aro to Dumbria (about 17km)
Wednesday - Dumbria to Muxia (about 22km)
Thursday - Muxia to Finesterre (about 28km)
Friday - Bus back to Santiago
Saturday - Fly back to LGW

This was a perfect schedule I think. Most books suggest 3 days to Muxia, but I think 4 is more comfortable, and more sensible for a short trip.

This route is quite pretty, and you can collect two certificates for completing it, one in Muxia and one in Finesterre. It also isnt as busy as sections of the French route may be, so another plus I think.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks the replies! I don't think we're too worried about it being quiet, in fact we don't want to be walking in crowds!

Welcome @Lucy

My first camino experience was almost exactly the same as the one you're considering. In September 2013 a friend and I walked from Santiago to Finisterre and then on to Muxia before taking a bus back to Santiago.

I really had no idea what to expect but by the end I knew I wanted to come back. Between the countryside, the people and the food and drink it was a delight.

Just seen your last post and the desire for less of a crowd also recommends the route to the coast.

Bueno Camino,

Rob.

Hi Lucy

For my birthday in April this year, a small group of friends / family joined me for a one week trip to walk the Camino from Santiago to Muxia and Finesterre.

Easyjet fly from LGW to Santiago on Saturdays, and because we booked early our return flight was around £60 each person.

This was a perfect schedule I think. Most books suggest 3 days to Muxia, but I think 4 is more comfortable, and more sensible for a short trip.

This route is quite pretty, and you can collect two certificates for completing it, one in Muxia and one in Finesterre. It also isnt as busy as sections of the French route may be, so another plus I think.

This sounds great - thanks very much! Im also keen to have time to explore Santiago etc and not be rushing the whole way straight back to the airport! Surely you cant collect certificates as its not the 100km?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd walk from Santiago to Finisterre and then to Muxia. That is a fantastic hike with great views. There's a fine restaurant in Muxia to treat yourself afterwards.

Why it walk the English Way, start in either Ferrol or A Corona and walk to Santigao. It's a Camino in its own right and well signposted and not too busy, perfect for a taste of what to expect on a longer route.

This sounds great - thanks very much! Im also keen to have time to explore Santiago etc and not be rushing the whole way straight back to the airport! Surely you cant collect certificates as its not the 100km?

These are certificates, not Compostelas, so unfortunately no rewards in heaven, just something nice to stick on your wall ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I was thinking that something like this might be just the ticket for a nice short 2021 walk, since the 2021 CF is likely to be inconvenietly crowded with, well, todo el mundo.

I did the Camino Inglés last June from Ferrol in 6 days because I did the whole way around.
You can do it in 5 easy days by taking the bridge straight to Pontedeume.
Nice walking and not overcrowded.
My walking buddy and myself have enjoyed it and are looking forward for the next walk...
So, you are warned that there is a virus on the Camino that is very contagious...it wants you to walk again and ag....🙃
Like said before you have a complete Camino that gives you the right to obtain a Compostela as long that you have at least 2 stamps (sellos) in your credential per day.
Easy to get...every place where you stop to eat or drink, police office too, I only found 1 church and that was in Santiago suburbs.
You will enjoy it and a prove of completion if you want to. The Compostela is free...
What ever you decide...Carpe Diem and Buen Camino 😎👣

Lucy - The Easyjet flight out on Saturday was early, we were in the city by noon, and when coming back from Finesterre by bus, we were also back by noon. Two afternoons is perhaps enough to explore Santiago I think.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pamplona to Logrono for sure. That is a really nice section of the Frances.
The end of September will not be too crowded. No worries about that.

Hi Lucy

Hi there, ma again! Sorry to come back to you. I think the route that you did looks like it will probabaly be the best fit for us! A couple of quick questions - could you have got a bus back to Santiago from Finesterre that day, do they run in the afternoon / evening - how long does it take? Also did you book accommodation - Im thinking maybe you did as you were a group - but perhaps we wouldn't need to as we are only 3 and its just off-peak season?! Were there lots of options? If you were short on time and coule only walk to Muxia OR Finesterre which would you have done?! Thanks so much!!

Hi Lucy

I did book accomodation in advance, we were a group of 7, but actually we didnt need to. the places had more than enough bed space for us ... we started walking on Easter Sunday, and I thought it would be busier.

If you had one day less, and you had a strong group, I would still try and fit both Muxia and Finesterre in to the route. Most guide books say its a 3 day walk to Muxia (88KM), although I felt 4 was better. Finesterre is a traditional 'end point', so definately finish there ... I dont understand why people do it the other way to be honest ... go to Finesterre and then Muxia? Anyway, if you walked 3 to Muxia, then 1 to Finesterre, it's a 4 day walk.

I'm not sure about an evening bus back from Finesterre ... If you really wanted to a taxi split 3 ways wouldnt be impossible I guess. BUT ... Finesterre is a place to stay in the evening I think. There are a few 'traditions' to enjoy there, especially as you make it the end of your Camino. One of them is to bathe on the Western beach (cant recall the name) naked, kneeling in the sea allowing 9 waves to wash over you and 'purify' you. Fun, and an experience ... but be careful if you do it, the waves are strong.

The other thing is seeing the sunset from the lighthouse at the 'end of the world'. A perfect end to a Camino.

edit - Bus takes about 3 hours by the way, my guide book says the last one is at 19.00.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back