• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5 days on the Camino in June/July- looking for recommendations :)

charhathaway

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July 2024
Hi Everyone!!
My partner and I have stumbled upon a little time off from work (never happens) after a wedding in late June in England. We are in our mid/late twenties. We will have ~7 days extra after the wedding and as avid-campers/runners I would love nothing more than to hike the Camino.
Our prorities are good food (we are big foodies and want the food to be a part of the experience), beautiful scenery, and cute cities to sleep in at night/explore if we have the energy for it! We want to enjoy the route/our surroundings and do not want to speed through the journey. We do not feel strongly about finishing in Santiago, but really just want to enjoy the journey and spend time together walking.
With our priroties above, would love recommendations on what route to take for 5 days (with 2 days on the front and back side of our journey for travel time/exploring cities).
Thank you in advance <3

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tough call. I've just been going through the same decision process for a short Camino.
Do you want a Compostela at the end?
This means you need to walk 100kms +.

For me, the choice would be Muxia-Finisterre- Santiago.
Stunning scenery, some nice towns in the first couple of days, great food.

I plan to do that route next with my wife. (I walked it last year)
But we'll take 7 days.
You could easily do it in 5.

There are many other routes of course.
But they might be a bit too crowded for you, or quite remote and lacking in 'foodie' attractions.
Cute cities might be a challenge in 5 days and if you also want to end in Santiago.
Many Camino routes tend to be in the countryside, passing through cities here and there.

On the Camino Frances for example, over 800 kms, the 'cities' you pass through are Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga. On the Via de la Plata, over 800 kms you pass through Seville, Zafra, Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora, Astorga.

So 'cities' are not really a feature. But it's all relative of course. Many of the routes pass through towns and large villages that are very interesting and have great places to eat.

But......Some of the nicest meals I've had, were in the middle of nowhere.
Like at a Donativo Albergue on the Via de la Plata.
And we're big time foodies. (Pat and I probably spend more on 'good' food if we find it, than on accommodation)

That Donativo beat them all. ;)

Sorry, I just reread your post and note that ending in Santiago, is not important.
That changes things!

Some more suggestions coming up..........

Last edited:
Other 5 day suggestions.

I'd still include Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago
Logrono to Burgos (Frances). Great food at each end and wonderful walking.
Zafra to Caceres (Via de la Plata) Great food at each end and wonderful walking.
Astorga - O Cebreiro (Frances) Good food places all the way.

There are so many routes. I'm sure others will have lots more suggestions.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Look into the Camino Inglés. I know that you aren't concerned with finishing in Santiago, but that could change as you meet others who are headed there. The Camino Inglés is a "complete" Camino in itself, so that can be satisfying.

Another vote for the Inglès, although there's a bit more road walking than I prefer. Albeit mainly quiet back country roads.
Several attractive towns to explore along the way - including the beginning, Ferrol. Great food if you look for it, with the added bonus that you're coastal. - great seafood!
Consider mixing things up slightly, and don't just do the standard stages.
Finally, it's very easy to get to the start from Santiago, so you can fly in and out of Santiago

Our priorities are good food (we are big foodies and want the food to be a part of the experience), beautiful scenery, and cute cities to sleep in at night/explore if we have the energy for it!
Not to try to discourage you in any way because we all love the camino but these are pretty high expectations. Just be aware that given the village-to-village nature of the camino, food can sometimes be ordinary, scenery is often mundane and there aren’t a lot of cities. It’s not glacier lakes and Michelin stars. That said, it’s a wonderful experience, mostly for reasons you might not have even thought of yet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not to try to discourage you in any way because we all love the camino but these are pretty high expectations. Just be aware that given the village-to-village nature of the camino, food can sometimes be ordinary, scenery is often mundane and there aren’t a lot of cities. It’s not glacier lakes and Michelin stars. That said, it’s a wonderful experience, mostly for reasons you might not have even thought of yet.

Very nicely put.
Perhaps for many the 'inner journey' is the attraction of the Camino, whilst the 'outer journey' is the cream on the cake. At times. But not always. ;)

I would say Pamplona to Logroño, easy to navigate yourself to and from as both are major well-connected cities. Amazing historical cities to easily lose a day in either side, and with endless food options. Then in between you have the beautiful Puente la Reina and Estella both wonderful places with true Camino vibes and wonderful scenery in-between.

It is only an easy four day walk, but that might suit you if you want to take your time. If you wanted more walking then you could easily taxi from Pamplona to start further back, or ditto the other end.

I would say Pamplona to Logroño, easy to navigate yourself to and from as both are major well-connected cities. Amazing historical cities to easily lose a day in either side, and with endless food options. Then in between you have the beautiful Puente la Reina and Estella both wonderful places with true Camino vibes and wonderful scenery in-between.

It is only an easy four day walk, but that might suit you if you want to take your time. If you wanted more walking then you could easily taxi from Pamplona to start further back, or ditto the other end.

And maybe a bodega stop or two…!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all!! Wow, what a great community this forum is!! You all have stellar suggestions.
I found a thread that recapped Fishermans Way route which, although not a Camino, seems like the best route for what we are trying to achieve. Thank you all mucho for your insight <3

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back