• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

7-10 day walk ending in Bordeaux?

Irish guy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria-Santiago (2014)
Hi all. I've started to plan for my second Camino (here's how my first mini-Camino went fyi, Sarria to Santiago) and I am looking at travelling in late April/May 2016 ending in Bordeaux. I would like to spend 7-12 days walking, ending in Bordeaux so I can meet my wife there (and we will spend a few days then in Bordeaux).

I would love any advice on meaningful starting points. For instance, in my research, I came across a commercial company (not that I would travel with one) positioning Saintes as a good starting point, ending in Bordeaux some 135km later. On my first Camino, I typically walked about 22-max 25km per day (though I could build up to 30km as necessary). I would like a slightly longer journey this time, so 12 days for me is not out of the question.

Basically, as long as I can end in Bordeaux, I would be happy.

All thoughts, comments and points to relevant threads appreciated. I would also welcome advice on accommodation - would pricing be similar to Spain for instance (hostels were €10 per night, though as my linked blog shows, I had a pretty miserable time there being a light sleeper - I know, I know - part of the experience! I would prefer to stay in single rooms, which cost c.€30 per night in Spain along the route I took).

Thanks all and Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Saintes is a fascinating place and I would say it’s a great place to start. The Cathedral had an exhibition about Saint James and pilgrims when I was there. I cycled so my accommodation needs were very different and I can’t really offer any advice. I stayed in the F1 hotel in Bordeaux with an eye infection and felt sorry for myself but the place met my needs perfectly and had a place to store a bike.

The tourist info people in Blaye were really helpful and gave me a list of pilgrim places to stay, most need to be booked and many places looked like they were with families rather than hostels. The route is quite well marked through Bordeaux. I would get in touch with the local pilgrim group: http://www.bordeauxcompostelle.com/bordeaux-maison-du-pelerin--1.html

Have fun!

Helen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back