• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

7 out of 10 pilgrims dissatisfied with prices

A survey of 2004 (Holy Year) pilgrims by the Galician section of the consumer association Euroconsumo finds that 70% think those providing services along the Camino Francés charge inflated prices. It seems though that these are mainly grumbles, as few made any official complaints.

Perhaps somewhat paradoxically, the survey also found that the majority approve of introducing charges in the Galician albergues.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/ed_santiag ... TO=4238411
http://www.elcorreogallego.es/index.php ... 0&Itemid=6

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Prices

It could be that the grumbling is based on the time of year. It is quite possible that in very busy times, such as spring and summer, some hostal, bar and restaurant owners raise the prices, seeing a commercial opportunity.
Although I find this somewhat hard to believe.

The people I met and spoke to found the prices very low and even sometimes embarrassing low for a particaulr good peregrino menu in some places. For most North Americans and Europeans Spain is still cheap.

I found the Albergues in Galicia not at the same level as the other ones in Spain, perhaps due to lack of supervision or overuse.

Kees

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum