• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When do prices go up?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Is there a "usual" time for albergues to raise their prices? I'm thinking they might at the beginning of spring, meaning current prices on Gronze could be expected to go up a wee bit next year. Or is there no pattern? Just curious.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The new year tends to bring the new prices, especially those that close over the winter and reopen in the spring.

THe municipal albergues are the same prices all year. There are also wonderful donativos that you make a contribution. They need your support to keep open. Donativo does not mean free. It is free for those pilgrims who walk with almost no money. I give the same as I would give in a municipal. Double that if they offer a communal dinner. 20-25 Euros. Some albergues have slightly higher rates in high season then low season. I don't think the difference is usually very significant.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola @CWBuff I was going to make a "tongue in cheek" response along your lines, say "yesterday"!
But I think most of the above comments will be pretty close to the mark. Those that take advance bookings will often post their coming pilgrimage season prices.

Earlier this week I booked (and paid for) a non-refundable lodging on booking dot com for €84.
Yesterday I got an email from the owner telling me that I had paid 2023 prices and that in 2024, the new price would be €148 !!!

Needless to say, I was not happy!
I called booking and had them cancel the booking and return my payment.
But sheesh! That's quite a large increase!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That's crazy! Booking dog com should've stepped in
You "made a deal " and paid for it that should be the end of it
Else if the pattern continues we'll be forced to pay some weird increase at the airport gate right before boarding 😡

I found that the cost for food and lodging between 2019 and 2022 were similar to all previous years upward shifts in costs on the Camino. However, prices jumped shockingly between my Fall 2022 CF Camino and the June 2023 CF Camino. Annie just had a real world experience and perhaps predictor of what might be coming for some types of lodging. Spain seems reflective of the inflation experienced in our own home countries around the world.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's crazy! Booking dog com should've stepped in
You "made a deal " and paid for it that should be the end of it
Else if the pattern continues we'll be forced to pay some weird increase at the airport gate right before boarding 😡
Yes, I thought it was pretty bold.
And the guy STILL hasn't updated the prices so the next person booking will probably get the same treatment. I do have to say for the most part, I've been happy with booking dot com - we'll see if they push this fellow to update his rates.

L
Yes, I thought it was pretty bold.
And the guy STILL hasn't updated the prices so the next person booking will probably get the same treatment. I do have to say for the most part, I've been happy with booking dot com - we'll see if they push this fellow to update his rates.
You may have been the target of a scam. Scammers have found a way to access the contact information of accommodation guests that booked through booking.com. They then pose as the accommodation owner and request money, which gets directed to them. Google booking.com scam for a list of news articles on it. Here’s one to BBC. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67591310

L

You may have been the target of a scam. Scammers have found a way to access the contact information of accommodation guests that booked through booking.com. They then pose as the accommodation owner and request money, which gets directed to them. Google booking.com scam for a list of news articles on it. Here’s one to BBC. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67591310
This wasn't a scam. But thanks :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m skeptical about any “rule of thumb” for when places will raise prices. It’s true that many will pick the first or last day of a year or month, but they don’t have to.

Also, some places won’t update their websites. And most Camino guides will be way out of date. I purchased a 2016 Michelin guide. It listed an albergue that had not existed for more than five years and did not list one in the same village that was twenty years old!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back