• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

8 days walking to end in Santiago.

Wandering Tom

Time of past OR future Camino
First time (Sept 4th-13th, Sarria to Santiago)
Hi,
I'm going to walk some of the Camino for my first time. My knowledge about the camino, the routes, terrain is minimal. However, the Camino France seems like a good start, but I know very little about it or the alternatives.

I have eight days for walking with a day for travel either end. My fitness is pretty good and I would like to feel some challenge from the walk. I'd also like to mix and chat with other walkers along the way. My flight arrives into Santiago on the evening of September 4th and I'm thinking I'll take the bus to Sarria. From what I can tell that's about five days walking, or is that too generous? With the extra day or two I'm considering starting out a bit further. Would you be able to help me decide where to start, maybe allowing for a rest day somewhere sociable along the way and to have a day in Santiago. All feedback welcome, Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,
I'm going to walk some of the Camino for my first time. My knowledge about the camino, the routes, terrain is minimal. However, the Camino France seems like a good start, but I know very little about it or the alternatives.

I have eight days for walking with a day for travel either end. My fitness is pretty good and I would like to feel some challenge from the walk. I'd also like to mix and chat with other walkers along the way. My flight arrives into Santiago on the evening of September 4th and I'm thinking I'll take the bus to Sarria. From what I can tell that's about five days walking, or is that too generous? With the extra day or two I'm considering starting out a bit further. Would you be able to help me decide where to start, maybe allowing for a rest day somewhere sociable along the way and to have a day in Santiago. All feedback welcome, Tom
sarria to finisterre, or ponferrada to sarria
buen camino!

Hi Tom. O Cebreiro would be a good start point, but I doubt you would make it there on the evening you arrive. It's about 7 days walk to Santiago. I'm not sure about a rest day, a) because nowhere on that stretch particularly grabbed me, and b) you're a sociable soul and may want to stick with the people you've met. An alternative to a full rest day would be a short walking day and linger in Samos, for example. (Samos is another potential start point, with its huge monastery.) However, if you can make it to Sarria on the evening that you arrive you could do worse than just start walking from there. Santiago itself always demands a couple of days of my trip! Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tom, we are leaving Ponferrada on Sept 7 and plan to walk to Santiago arriving on the 10th day. Most days are just under 25K but instead of a rest day we have two back to back short days going to Samos from Triacastela and to Sarria from Samos. You could probably go from Ponferrada to Santiago in 8 days or another option is Villafranca del Bierzo, a pretty town.
Enjoy. We will likely be right behind you.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,

Hi Tom, Ponferrada would be a option and Sarria to Finistere. Some pelgrims here already stated this. You will make a good choice. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Thanks for the help guys. I've looked at a few threads and it seems like going from Ponferrada to Santiago would be pretty challenging in eight days. I found a breakdown of the distances involved which is below (Ignore the dates). It would probably be too rushed for the kind of journey I want, although going from La Faba could offer a good balance between a challenge and allowing time for a relaxation day if I fancy/need it.

Day Stage Partial (km) Cum (km)
1) Mo, 1-Oct-2012 Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 22.3 22.3
2) Tu, 2-Oct-2012 Villafranca del Bierzo - La Faba 23.8 46.1
3) We, 3-Oct-2012 La Faba - Triacastela 25.6 71.7
4) Th, 4-Oct-2012 Triacastela - Sarria 24.6 96.3
5) Fr, 5-Oct-2012 Sarria - Portomarín 22.5 118.8
6) Sa, 6-Oct-2012 Portomarín - Airexe 17.4 136.2
7) Su, 7-Oct-2012 Airexe - Leboreiro 16.7 152.9
8 ) Mo, 8-Oct-2012 Leboreiro - Arzúa 19.6 172.5
9) Tu, 9-Oct-2012 Arzúa - Rúa 17.8 190.3
10) We, 10-Oct-2012 Rúa - Santiago de Compostela 20.7 211

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tom,

My experiences, for what they are worth. Remember, this is an "n" of one (one person's experience; one day, late July 2014).

1. The walk out of Ponferrada is very urban (think urban blight and gang tags).

2. One of my favorite parts of the walk was the high route between Villafranca and Trabadelo. The day we went, out of hundreds of pilgrims, my wife and I were the only two who took the high route; the locals actively discourage it saying it is too steep (it's not if you are used to American mountains; but take lots of water).

3. If you don't take the high route, the walk from Villafranca del Bierzo to Los Herrerias is by a busy road; the last part of which (from Trabadelo on) has no concrete barrier between you and the traffic. This was the most frightening section of the walk for me. Rather large trucks sharing the road with pilgrims on a crooked mountain road is a premeditated accident. I'm grateful the superhighway was built to take most of the traffic, but at least the morning we walked it there was a never-ending procession of trucks rolling down that road.

That all being said what would I do? I would not start where you are starting--it is the opposite of starting on a good note. At the very least, taxi out of Ponferrada to the next small village (we did and I'm glad; a friend did not, and she has nothing but bad things to say about that walk), then walk to Villafranca and take the highroute. Stop in Trabadelo. Because it is your first day, you might want to start in Villafranca to give yourself time to built up your walking legs. Next morning taxi to Las Herrerias (the Camino turns on to a much smaller and safer road) and walk to Fonfria (eat in the restaurant that is not attached to the alburgue--some of the best food we had on the Camino).

YMMV, and I'm sure others have different experiences and therefore different opinions. WYOW

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Thanks for the reply Jo Jo. After some reflection I think covering 211km in 8 days is too much pressure for what I want from this trip. What I'm thinking of now is either starting at La Faba or Triacastela. The main difference being that I get a day to chill out, drink coffee and watch clouds people and stars.

From what I've been reading I'm walking one of the busiest sections of trail which I'm not too excited about. At the same time it feels like a good way to get a sense of the Camino. Will I be able to pick up a credencial at either of this two starting points?
Also, I'm not doing too much prep or planning for this. I intend to book accommodation for my first night and then take it from there. Some people seem pretty organised on here, and I guess it's each to their own, but I'm wondering if there's anything in particular I should plan/book?
I'll be bringing earplugs, good walking socks, a sense of adventure and curiosity and a willingness to take one step at a time...
1) La Faba - Triacastela 25.6
2) Triacastela - Sarria 24.6 50.2
3) Sarria - Portomarín 22.5 72.7
4) Portomarín - Airexe 17.4 90.1
5) Airexe - Leboreiro 16.7 106.8
6 ) Leboreiro - Arzúa 19.6 126.4
7) Arzúa - Rúa 17.8 144.2
8) Rúa - Santiago de Compostela 20.7 164.9km

Buen Camino,
Tom

Will I be able to pick up a credencial at either of this two starting points?
No one in those two places lists credenciales for sale.

You can get to La Faba only by taxi.

There is a bus from Sarria to Triacastela at 1800 weekdays, and 1420 Saturday. No Sunday service.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Falcon.
Hmm, I'm really starting to consider another route into Santiago. It sounds like the scenery along the Sarria-Santiago stretch is not that impressive. Any suggestions for a still somewhat sociable but also scenic route that ends in Santiago this time of year?

I know Jeffrey originally suggested Sarria to Finisterre, is it easy to then travel back to Santiago by public transport from Finisterre?

Tom, you haven't really left yourself much of a window for planning have you. I hope your boots are well broken-in. You might consider walking Santiago to Muxia - Muxia to Fisterra - Fisterra to Santiago. The distance, if you walk it all, will enable you to claim a Compostella if you wish to. The scenery, if thats what you are in to, is picturesque and occasionally spectacular. You will avoid the need to spend time travelling to a start point. At this time of year there will be plenty of pilgrims to share time with.

The Galician Tourist Office in Rua Vilar will provide a Credencial a route guide and a list of accommodation and facilities.

Finisterre and Muxia is a good call. You could also consider Ourense to Santiago (the end of the Via de la Plata from Seville). It's a nice mix of everything, and not nearly as busy as the route from Sarria. It's usually about 5 days to SdC. Ourense is easily accessible by bus and a main line rail stop.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No I've not really left much time but then that's okay too. My boots have seen a lot of use thanks. Although I have just picked up some new socks, so hopefully they won't cause any issues. Thanks for the route suggestion Tincatinker I'll take a look.
Buen Camino,
Tom

I'll take a look over that route too, thanks Tyrrek. Seems like there are more options than I realised, which is no bad thing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it is impressive. It is a bit more impressive starting at O Cebreiro.

Yes. There are a half-dozen buses each day.

Well that's reassuring, it seems to get some bad press, so I'll keep my mind open. So perhaps I could walk Sarria to Santiago, go through to Finisterre and then hop on a bus back to Santiago. Might be a good starter.

In the end I walked from Sarria to Pedrouza, then took a bus to Santiago and kept walking to Finisterre. I loved the route, and found the Galician countryside and life beautiful to walk through.

The Camino experience was pretty special, I had terrible blisters on my second day, but a lovely German woman helped me treat them and encouraged me to keep walking. Meeting people her along the road are what made the experience for me. It was as though I was living a miniature version of my life. At times I struggled to walk my own camino, as I do in life, but I tried my best and it worked out pretty okay.

I'm also glad I didn't plan this trip anymore in any great detail, doing so I learned a lot about trusting myself, the world as well as balancing between my need for control and letting go.

Thanks for the support and Buen Camino,
Tom

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back