• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is O Cebreiro - SdC in 8 days doable?

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hi! I'm planning my Camino for around May 2024 and I only have about 2 weeks off of work. Flying from a US city-MAD. I was thinking of bookending my journey with 2 days in Madrid at the beginning and also 2 days afterward before my flight home. One or two nights in Santiago after my walk.

1. How difficult is it to get from Madrid to O Cebreiro?
2. I have not done a Camino before but I ride mountain bikes and after this summer when it cools down, I will start training by walking longer distances (and also to break in my shoes!) Do you think this amount of time is possible to finish in SdC from O Cebreiro?

Many thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you think this amount of time is possible to finish in SdC from O Cebreiro?
If you can do the stages on Gronze it will be enough.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. I comfortably walked from before O'Cebreiro to Santiago in 7 days, as a very fit 64 year old with a lot of pre-training, who had started in SJPdP. Just as for me the most important thing I could do for my Camino prep was to stop running and up my walking, the most important thing you can do is get off your bike and onto your feet. Train for that which you plan to do. I see you are from US. You will lose a travel day. One thing I would recommend is to book a multi-city flight. Perhaps fly into Madrid and spend 2 days as planned. But instead of returning to Madrid for 2 days at the end, book a flight home from Santiago. It gives you a buffer in case you can't, or choose not to walk quite as far as you'd planned each day. You can always find something to do with an extra day but where people seem to run into problems is when they have to rush to meet a deadline. Bottom line--it should be enough time, but there are things you can do to ensure it IS enough time. Happy planning and enjoy every step!

Last edited:
Thank you for the links! And thank you Walker for your insights about training and suggestion of flying different route home. Not going back to Madrid means I could take a bit more time on the trail.

Being an enthusiastic hiker i have done it in 6 and 5 days. I guess most should be able to do it in 7 and pretty much all in 8 days. There are some hills after O Cebreiro, but the serious climbs are before that. Also infrastructure is really good.
Would recommend taking the variant over Samos. The path there is absolutely stunning and the monestary in Samos is incredible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Being an enthusiastic hiker i have done it in 6 and 5 days. I guess most should be able to do it in 7 and pretty much all in 8 days.
For me, 5 days in 1994, and 4 days on the 2005.

Last year from Santiago to O Cebreiro by absolute contrast took me about 3 weeks -- though I did have some extremely slow and short days during the first week or so out of Santiago.

I'd say those are the extremes of super fit hiking in youth and super slow walking with a disability.

But yeah, it's about 150K, and average Camino hiking speed for an average, healthy walker is ~25K/day, so that 8 days even if you're a little slower than that should be OK.

Even with the disability in 2014, though not as bad as it is now, it took me 9 days.

Variables like weather , injuries arriving and fitness, pack carrier or sender etc

yes manageable

It is an average of 20.25km per day. WIth all the albergues along the way you can pretty well break your stages down to about 20km per day, give or take a couple of kilometers

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did it in 7 days in 2019 as a wrinklie 69yrs old.
I reckon I could repeat that 4yrs later and I would still have a silly grin on my face. (and I don't ride mountain bikes!)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi! I'm planning my Camino for around May 2024 and I only have about 2 weeks off of work. Flying from a US city-MAD. I was thinking of bookending my journey with 2 days in Madrid at the beginning and also 2 days afterward before my flight home. One or two nights in Santiago after my walk.

1. How difficult is it to get from Madrid to O Cebreiro?
2. I have not done a Camino before but I ride mountain bikes and after this summer when it cools down, I will start training by walking longer distances (and also to break in my shoes!) Do you think this amount of time is possible to finish in SdC from O Cebreiro?

Many thanks!
In my 70th year I left Trabadelo on 21March 2014 and arrived in SdC at 9 am morning of 26 March. Maybe I could have made it the day before but I was wet through and feeling a bit stuffed so I overnighted in the San Paio hostal in Lavacolla. So what you’re suggesting should’t be too hard if you’re reasonably fit.

De Colores

Bogong

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back