• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A long way to Santiago

celinehenriette

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi!

In two months from now I'll be on a bus to Vienna to start my second pilgrimage, the first one to Santiago. It will be a 4200-ish km walking journey across Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, France and Spain. I have a little over 6 months to complete the whole thing. My main reasons are to enjoy culture and landscapes, to meet different people and to understand life and my relation to this world a little bit more. On my first pilgrimage I learned a lot about myself and my spirituality and I think it's time to learn about it some more :)
The hardest thing for me last time was that I barely had anyone to talk to and reflect on the effects of a pilgrimage. And I was thinking so much about getting to the end that sometimes I forgot to enjoy the here and now. That is why I plan to take more time. I guess that since this is a more populair trail, I will meet a lot like-minded people who understand what it's like to be on a pilgrimage and that it's more than "just a long walk". This forum has been very helpfull to me, so thanks to everyone here! It helps to know that there are more people going on their way to Santiago and keeps me from not getting too nervous about mine.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sounds like an incredible journey; is there a staked or mapped out camino that takes you from Vienna to Santiago or does this require a bit of freelancing

Sounds like an incredible journey; is there a staked or mapped out camino that takes you from Vienna to Santiago or does this require a bit of freelancing
I have to bring 4 books: first is the Austrian Jacobsweg, then I'll try to find the way to the Jacobsweg in Switzerland (second book), through a part of Liechtenstein. I will follow the Jacobsweg in Switzerland up to Lausanne, form there I will have to walk around (of get on a ferry or something) the lake of Geneva to get to the GR5 (book 3). Then some freelancing indeed to get myself to the starting point of the GR10 (book 4), fortunately there are some pilgrimtrails to choose from. The GR10 goes through St. Jean Pied de Port, so that would be an easy start of the Camino Frances. I hope to find a book of the Camino Frances there. I found a map in my local bookstore with all the trails to Santiago, I drew 'my Camino' on there, maybe that helps to get an idea of the route.

Attachments

• Map_mycamino.jpg
    Map_mycamino.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 18
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Intrepid and admirable. The only drawback might be the eventual cost, as I anticipate some extensive sections may have no moderately-priced pilgrim accommodation. All the best.

Intrepid and admirable. The only drawback might be the eventual cost, as I anticipate some extensive sections may have no moderately-priced pilgrim accommodation. All the best.
Thanks :) Since I'm taking my tent and cooking stuff, it should not be dat difficult to keep it cheap. hopefully my year of saving money will be enough..

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.