• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Mad, Fat, Ugly, Old 'Madame Scarecrow' & Her Camino...!!!

Madame Scarecrow

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Sainte Suzanne sur Vire>>> Mont St Michel
2017 Mont St Michel >>> Santiago de Compostella
Bonjour Mesdames et Messieurs...Ca va...???

Well, here she goes....Sainte Suzanne sur Vire, La Manche Normandy 50750 to Mont St Michel as of Jeudi 26th October 2017 and then head the long way south to Santiago de Compostella...

Me thinks, there will be only me, myself & I, stupid and crazy enough to be setting orf in the depths of the Autumn 2017 with less than 1 weeks planning....!!!

Short of a bomb going orf, I will leave from me front door of me Barn @ environ 10.00am in 5 days time, heading doon to me local church in the village, ask the Good Lord to bless me Camino, then cross the road to knock up the door of the local Mairie...

I will no doubt listen intently to the ridicule of Antoine, John et Stephan (My local commune Mayor and his awesome team) whilst asking politely for their stamp of approval for me Pilgrim Passport...(oh my Gord I still havenay got one of those yet..!!!) and then get on me way...Listening to them wetting their nickers as they see a mad, fat, ugly, old Madame Scarecrow stagger orf to the distance... I reckon before I have even made it round the first corner they will be running a betting book to raise monies for the village hall, namely that I will nay make it to the next village 2 kilometres away never mind bl**dy Santiago...!!!

Theres been nay time and little or nay planning...other than me dearest and longest standing friend Napoleon back up in Yorkshire sorting out a few start out logistics, routes etc...and Hungrian Gisella running around like a headless chicken gathering up the technology & kit needed at such a very short notice...(Gisella, how the heck does that milage counter thingy work again...???....I give in trying to work it out, 'cause me and technology are not a happy marriage...!!!...
Also theres been the Beautiful Buxom Blonde Kim doon in the Charante whos been giving me mental and moral encouragement at ungodly hours of the day and night...Irish Coral coming up with her mans size 9 walking boots & XXXL waterproof coat at such short notice....oh and what the heck would I have done without Renate in Holland sending me informative emails of details and advice garnered from her personal 2016 Camino...the pictures of your blistered bandaged feet gave me food for thought Renate...!!!
..and finally the well travelled Kevin & Jennie doon in the French Alps having '742' Skype chats of encouragement interspersed with confirmation emails/Skype messages of the like that read Madame Scarecrow is offically confirmed as crazy/mad/stupid to be even attempting this feat...(I still cannay believe we actually discussed live on Skype possible knicker line chaffing with your husband Kevin in the room Jennie..but thanks again for your well travelled wise counsel..!!!)

The general thoughts of me ''Support Crew'' is that, yes, I may be mentally very very strong and built like a bl**dy ox, and can carry loads not fit for man nor beast but as far The Camino goes they know full well I ''divenay do bl**dy walking'...!!!.....With hand on me heart I can honestly say I have never in all me borne days walked more further than from me car into the local tabac to grab me coffee and me Golden Virgina, and back agin..!!!..so this wee 2000 kilometre (approx.) jaunt may just be a wee challange....!!!

I am 'oping you kind folks on 'ere will keep me pointing in the right direction both mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically...

Mesdames et Messieurs may I politely request pour votre aide et advise...

Chaleureuses salutations

À bientôt

Madame Scarecrow (better known as ''Scarey'')

PS...and no I definatly cannay sppell, me puncuattion leaves rather alot to be disired...and yes I do swear like a bl**dy trooper....!!!
If you canny cope with reading the rubbish that I will undoubtidly write, then please pass this thread by, un read someat/someone more serius aboot life....!!!

Warmest Regards To You All On This Very Special Saturday

God Bless

xxx Scarey xxx

!!!

Attachments

• scarecrow.jpg
    scarecrow.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,494
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
:eek::p:p:p
Loved your post. Laughed through the whole lot.
Anyone with your attitude is more than likely to get to Santiago and have a fabulous time in the process.
My advice is keep your pack as light as you possibly can. There are heaps of packing lists on this forum for more info. Get some really comfortable walking shoes. And if the first pair doesn’t walk dump them asap and get another. Walk at your own pace but I suspect that you might do that anyway. ;) And take it easy in the beginning.
Have an exceptionally buen camino and please let us know how you go.
PS. I wouldn’t worry too much about knicker chaffing. I haven’t heard of that one before and hope I never do!o_O

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Bonjour Madame Scarey

Reading your post cheered my morn :) - it seems you have quite a cosmoplitan support team already - all I can add is to walk at your own pace and rest frequently - a great and wonderful journey ahead of you - so take care and let us know how you progress - Bonne voyage !

Madame, Bon chemin! I look forward to your accounting of yourself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Madame Scarecrow,
I enjoyed your witty post. Loved this sentence...
With hand on me heart I can honestly say I have never in all me borne days walked more further than from me car into the local tabac to grab me coffee and me Golden Virgina, and back agin..!!!..so this wee 2000 kilometre (approx.) jaunt may just be a wee challange....!!!
Me believeth in thou...oh mighty mad, fat, ugly, old Madame Scarecrow!
Can't wait to hear your tale.
Buen camino.

Loved, loved, loved your post Scarey! You will do it. I can tell from the spirit, humour and ambition you demonstrated throughout your post.

I’m waiting to board a plane to Spain for my first Camino. Your post made my day and reinforced the fact that I’m right to do the Camino simply because I have to.

Good luck, I’ll be following you. Buen Camino...you’re the first person I wished that to! Love it.

Sissy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino @Madame Scarecrow - and let's hope you and @gerardcarey never meet up or the forum will completely lose all decorum! But seriously, what you are attempting is a great thing.

It does sound as if you are not one to take advice - but, in the spirit of wanting you to succeed - start with short, short distances - because the body does take time to adapt, and you want it to stretch and build, not break.

Last edited:
Great witty humorous reading ! I can't wait to get more of those.
The idea is no more crazy than Magellan's first circumnavigation, which proved feasable after all. So I support you unreservedly, 'cos you are mad enough to succeed.
I have no scallop shell (BTW have you got one ? It is an essential piece of equipment) above my door, but you are welcome any time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
:D:D

Bonjour Madame scary,
I think you'll be fine!
Buen camino! :)

Ps Pack light is my advice.

Bonjour Mesdames et Messieurs...Ca va...???

Well, here she goes....Sainte Suzanne sur Vire, La Manche Normandy 50750 to Mont St Michel as of Jeudi 26th October 2017 and then head the long way south to Santiago de Compostella...

Me thinks, there will be only me, myself & I, stupid and crazy enough to be setting orf in the depths of the Autumn 2017 with less than 1 weeks planning....!!!

Short of a bomb going orf, I will leave from me front door of me Barn @ environ 10.00am in 5 days time, heading doon to me local church in the village, ask the Good Lord to bless me Camino, then cross the road to knock up the door of the local Mairie...

I will no doubt listen intently to the ridicule of Antoine, John et Stephan (My local commune Mayor and his awesome team) whilst asking politely for their stamp of approval for me Pilgrim Passport...(oh my Gord I still havenay got one of those yet..!!!) and then get on me way...Listening to them wetting their nickers as they see a mad, fat, ugly, old Madame Scarecrow stagger orf to the distance... I reckon before I have even made it round the first corner they will be running a betting book to raise monies for the village hall, namely that I will nay make it to the next village 2 kilometres away never mind bl**dy Santiago...!!!

Theres been nay time and little or nay planning...other than me dearest and longest standing friend Napoleon back up in Yorkshire sorting out a few start out logistics, routes etc...and Hungrian Gisella running around like a headless chicken gathering up the technology & kit needed at such a very short notice...(Gisella, how the heck does that milage counter thingy work again...???....I give in trying to work it out, 'cause me and technology are not a happy marriage...!!!...
Also theres been the Beautiful Buxom Blonde Kim doon in the Charante whos been giving me mental and moral encouragement at ungodly hours of the day and night...Irish Coral coming up with her mans size 9 walking boots & XXXL waterproof coat at such short notice....oh and what the heck would I have done without Renate in Holland sending me informative emails of details and advice garnered from her personal 2016 Camino...the pictures of your blistered bandaged feet gave me food for thought Renate...!!!
..and finally the well travelled Kevin & Jennie doon in the French Alps having '742' Skype chats of encouragement interspersed with confirmation emails/Skype messages of the like that read Madame Scarecrow is offically confirmed as crazy/mad/stupid to be even attempting this feat...(I still cannay believe we actually discussed live on Skype possible knicker line chaffing with your husband Kevin in the room Jennie..but thanks again for your well travelled wise counsel..!!!)

The general thoughts of me ''Support Crew'' is that, yes, I may be mentally very very strong and built like a bl**dy ox, and can carry loads not fit for man nor beast but as far The Camino goes they know full well I ''divenay do bl**dy walking'...!!!.....With hand on me heart I can honestly say I have never in all me borne days walked more further than from me car into the local tabac to grab me coffee and me Golden Virgina, and back agin..!!!..so this wee 2000 kilometre (approx.) jaunt may just be a wee challange....!!!

I am 'oping you kind folks on 'ere will keep me pointing in the right direction both mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically...

Mesdames et Messieurs may I politely request pour votre aide et advise...

Chaleureuses salutations

À bientôt

Madame Scarecrow (better known as ''Scarey'')

PS...and no I definatly cannay sppell, me puncuattion leaves rather alot to be disired...and yes I do swear like a bl**dy trooper....!!!
If you canny cope with reading the rubbish that I will undoubtidly write, then please pass this thread by, un read someat/someone more serius aboot life....!!!

Warmest Regards To You All On This Very Special Saturday

God Bless

xxx Scarey xxx

!!!

good on ya!
keep dry, keep warm. Know you have a place to crash enroute. In any case, In our thoughts and hearts.
Mike and Nancy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
:eek::p:p:p
Loved your post. Laughed through the whole lot.
Anyone with your attitude is more than likely to get to Santiago and have a fabulous time in the process.
My advice is keep your pack as light as you possibly can. There are heaps of packing lists on this forum for more info. Get some really comfortable walking shoes. And if the first pair doesn’t walk dump them asap and get another. Walk at your own pace but I suspect that you might do that anyway. ;) And take it easy in the beginning.
Have an exceptionally buen camino and please let us know how you go.
PS. I wouldn’t worry too much about knicker chaffing. I haven’t heard of that one before and hope I never do!o_O
I hope you never experience knicker chafing because it is no fun at all! There's been some trial and error on that front over the years ;)

Have just come across your post and enjoyed it hugely! So you have probably started by now! And how is it going?
Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.