• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maybe a rude question! How old are you?

How old are you?

• Under 30 years

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 30-39

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • 40-49

Votes: 24 11.0%
  • 50-59

Votes: 42 19.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 82 37.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 52 23.9%
  • 80 and above

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I imagine that for your run of the mill survey ie How was your experience today, rate you delivery driver in no more than a thousand words will get short shrift!
This is a tick in a box nano second response !
I am going to look daft if i am wrong:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Zimmer frames with scallop shell motif? Scallop shell shaped wigs? Shell stamped incontinence pads?
Large print guides? Shell shaped name label to pin on coat? Slippers, blue and yellow dressing gowns? ;)

Hmm. I was thinking more along the lines of........
How to tap into the younger market :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Funny story about age…I walked my first camino with my father in law and when we went to receive our compostelas he thought he would probably be the oldest that day at 75…well as fate would have it the name above his in the registrar that day was 76 year old gentleman 🤦🏼‍♂️ he had a good chuckle to himself and said he would just have to come back again…he’s 80 now and we are planning again 😁

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lots of younger people on the Camino but they find a forum ancient,
Last year's Compostela figures by age. In the overall scheme of things the under-18s and the over-65s are a fairly small part of the total. From the poll results so far we seem to be a disproportionately aged bunch on here! :cool:

Screenshot_20240408-164418~2.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lots of younger people on the Camino but they find a forum ancient, just like they do not use FB anymore.
Younger generation are on Instagram.
The real young ones TikTok etc.
Which is too bad, because I find the Camino information on those types of platforms to be disjointed. IMHO this forum is the best source of Camino information, but I might be biased. 😉

Which is too bad, because I find the Camino information on those types of platforms to be disjointed. IMHO this forum is the best source of Camino information, but I might be biased. 😉
This is the only "platform" I am on, so I am extremely biased and I'm not even a moderator.😂

Just my very subjective observations when talking to younger workmates and apprentices 😉.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes I am not on any other platforms! I guess perfect world would have a broader membership age and nationality wise, but there are certainly a good number of experts that are able to answer any questions which is the main thing and we are spared the kind of hyberbole the FB groups seem to engender!

U

Yes young folks don’t do forums where I’m from in the same way as they don’t do cash, phone calls, or regular TV!

Exactly! I actually had to explain our young apprentices that in our line of work you still use landlines to call other social services :) .
Though I too, at 54 , gave up on regular tv. My mum finds it " peculiar " that I now watch tv via my laptop and a chromecast...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Exactly! I actually had to explain our young apprentices that in our line of work you still use landlines to call other social services :) .
Though I too, at 54 , gave up on regular tv. My mum finds it " peculiar " that I now watch tv via my laptop and a chromecast...
The changes that our parents and grandparents have lived through would challenge the best of us. I am in awe of their ability to adapt.

My mum is almost 95 and lives in a retirement village. A few years ago she had to 'let go' of her landline because the village no longer provided the landline service. She is now pretty good on her iPhone. She is extremely intelligent and still with 'all her marbles'. But she says some funny things, e.g. when the battery on her phone looks low she says 'I think my phone is out of money'. She doesn't necessarily know how all the devices work or interact - but that's ok, she doesn't have to.

For some years, she has had an iPad instead of a computer. I don't use FB - but she does - to keep track of her many children, grandchildren and great grand children. She also uses Messenger which makes for some alarming (and accidental) video calls during the night - often on a group family chat that involves many time zones. We used to Facetime, but it was disconcerting to be looking at her chin or the floor the whole time. All that aside, I am constantly amazed at her ability and willingness to adapt to new technologies. And just last week - when we were travelling in the Maltese Islands, she posted a comment on my Find Penguins blog! She's amazing.

A diversion - but as @Robo touched on, perhaps there are some interesting marketing challenges ahead for Ivar to 'future proof' this forum.

@Pelerina - your mother sounds a lot like mine, who is 93 and still lives in her own home with her boyfriend of the same age and drives on road trips (the road trip part makes me nervous though!). She and her boyfriend go to the gym at least twice a week, play bridge regularly, and have a more active social life than I do! She has all the gadgets - iPhone, iPad, Apple watch, etc. She's great at finding travel deals online, and was the first person that I knew to use Airbnb back in 2012 when she visited London. She's an inspiration to me on how to age with gusto.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hem. Y'all didn't ask, but given how much time I've been spending with doctors lately, you're stuck. ;)

Alzheimer’s took my adoptive mother in her 90s, long before her body gave up. Cancer from smoking took my bio mom right before 78. Adoptive father was the longest lived in his family when a cardiac arrest got him at 77. And I have no idea who my bio dad is, so there's a mystery.

Thus, as often as my work and our lives permit (maybe every 2-3 years), my directionally challenged, limping, back hurting self will go. Before my mind does.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When 40s places you among the youngest 16%, what a rare gift! When 50s are still among the youngest third, who can’t love that too? It’s like the Fountain of Youth. 🩷 Times and technology change, that never goes out of fashion.

In all seriousness, I think there are bright prospects for the forum. As many have observed, it might be the kindest and most civilized corner of the internet. In addition, as we age it's natural to want to reflect more on experiences like this, and in different fashions. There might always be a curve in ages, but todays 30s and under-30s may be here in larger numbers given another decade? Hope so and hope to be here to see it, along with all the pilgrims in older age groups. There is so much wisdom here and theirs is surely the backbone.

I'm one of the younger folks on the Forum, and I have so enjoyed being here over the last 13(!) years. I think the older you get, the more you learn what to take dead seriously and what to have a little fun with. You all teach me many things about handling things on the Camino and in life, and you all also crack me up, regularly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Speaking for myself, I am here on a forum, not because I am unable or unwilling to participate on other internet platforms, but because the forum platform IS much better than Facebook or Instagram or Tiktok, for building the type of sharing community that we enjoy so much.

I suspect that a lot of younger people come to the forum to get information but don't use the forum as a social community centre, like many of us older habitual pilgrims do. They have other priorities and demands on their time, and yes they use other platforms for socializing and for doing what they need to do.

I suspect that the average age of foreign English-speaking pilgrims (i.e. most forum members) is significantly higher than the average age of Spanish pilgrims, so the statistics from the Pilgrim Office would not reflect forum membership.

I wonder if it would be useful to rearrange the age brackets in the survey to match those published by the Camino Statistics that @Bradypus posted in the excel sheet earlier.

I have a hunch that the ages of people on the forum would actually closely align with the ages of those who walk the Camino, rather than this forum, being an outlet only for older pilgrims, versus younger ones hanging out only on social media. As a spritely 35 year old, I've no issue hanging out in this forum!

The statistics from the Camino age survey that @Bradypus posted insinuate that:

Under 18: 36,460 8.4%
18-45: 171,747 39.5%
46-65: 177,531 40.9%
65+: 48,136 11.2%

Be interested to see how the survey results, grouped by these age brackets compare.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That survey says that 47.9% are under 45. Whereas the forum survey says that 83.9% of forum members are over 50.
Good point Molly. And the sample size so far is 182 responses out of a membership of ???. Not sure how much one can draw from the results about the population of the forum. Maybe it's representative or maybe the 'older' cohort are on the forum more frequently, are more likely to respond to the poll etc. Who knows. Polls are tricky.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think Forums and Facebook Groups attract very different people.
I have run both in the past, (business related) and whilst I'm active on this Forum have recently dipped my toe in the water in a couple of Facebook Groups.

To me......

A Forum is like a Library with a Book Club.
It's easy to search topics and answers, that are there to be found for all time.
They are indexed. So finding information is not hard.
They are generally quite well moderated.
I think they attract people with the time to engage and help.

A Facebook Group, is more like a Newspaper.
It's a stream of topics that are forever changing and then repeating.
In one group the same luggage transfer question seems to get asked every day!
Whilst they do have search features, it is like going through the back copies of the Newspaper as the topics and engagement has expired...and the archives are not easy to investigate.

The whole 'feel' is more immediate.
Quick question, quick answer, share lots of opinions and move on..........
Next post.

They tend to attract in my view, a more 'shallow' audience.
I don't mean that in any derogatory sense at all.
It's just the nature of the platform.

This Forum is for me like an old English Pub.
Or at least as I remember them 30 years ago.
We can sit by the fire and have a good yarn.........

A Facebook Group for me is more like a Highway Diner.
A few locals hang out there, but the main clientele is just passing through....
They get their answer (burger), and move on.

Maybe it's just me :rolleyes:

I wonder if it would be useful to rearrange the age brackets in the survey to match those published by the Camino Statistics that @Bradypus posted in the excel sheet earlier.

I have a hunch that the ages of people on the forum would actually closely align with the ages of those who walk the Camino, rather than this forum, being an outlet only for older pilgrims, versus younger ones hanging out only on social media. As a spritely 35 year old, I've no issue hanging out in this forum!

The statistics from the Camino age survey that @Bradypus posted insinuate that:

Under 18: 36,460 8.4%
18-45: 171,747 39.5%
46-65: 177,531 40.9%
65+: 48,136 11.2%

Be interested to see how the survey results, grouped by these age brackets compare.
I used to get involved in surveys from a career standpoint and we used 25-34, 35-44, 45-54 and so on, I think ending at 75-84 and then 85+. One of my ‘I am getting old’ moments was always crossing the ‘questionnaire threshold’ and moving into the higher bracket!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nor do I. It's not just young folks ;)
Nor do I!
Actually corne to think of it neither do I! Haven’t owned a TV for 20 years, never carry cash) unless in a country where cash is needed) and the only person I ever phone is my mum!
I own a tv, but it is only used for streaming Youtube or a movie, but no longer for regular programming. I carry very little cash, and I rarely "talk" on the phone...I must still be young!😃

Young people tend to catch me off guard these days. First of all, both our 23-year-old teammate and our teenage son laughed hysterically when they saw this video:
(Seriously - what?! And why does this video have 13 million views?)

And about 10 years ago, we hosted a bunch of college students, and I was talking to them about Ethan Hawke. For a while they had no clue who he was. Me: "You know, Uma Thurman's husband?" Blank stares. Me: "He was in Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Boyhood?" Blank stares. We went back and forth like this for a while, and I think I even showed them a few pictures. Then I finally said, "This is way before your time, but he was in Dead Poets Society." At that point they all knew who he was: "Oh! I've seen that and I love that movie! I know him!"

Interacting with people is always entertaining. :D

In job interview classes I've taken they say the answer for the age question is something like "I'm on the better side of 50."

That question is not supposed to be asked and managers should know better but often your possible future coworkers don't know that.

Edit: Later I remembered what a boss told me about what she did interviewing candidates. She would casually mention an old TV western checking to see if the candidate knew of it. However she was looking for older candidates that did. I passed by knowing the lead actor's name.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back