• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a potential pilgrim

Soliwo

Hello everyone,

My name is Janneke and I am Dutch 25-year-old. I had a rough couple of years, trying to get my master's degree and making the transition to a more grown-up life. There was a time I was pretty depressed about my life, my perfectionism and all my other faults. The one thing that was able to get me in a really different mental state was travel. Travel makes me see all that is possible instead of trying to do what I thought was expected of me. A month of solitary travel in Spain in 2010 made me the happiest had been in a long time. For those who are interested, this was my itinerary: Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca, Cudillero, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Pamplona, Bardenas Reales, Barcelona, Girona. Last summer I made a shorter trip with my parents, going from Porto to Santiago de Compostella. I never thought any country could compete with Scotland but I was mistaken.

Now it looks like I might actually graduate this spring. And I am considering walking the camino late summer/ early fall, both as a reward and the contemplate all the past and future changes in my life. And if won't work out, it will certainly spring 2013. I never considered doing something like this. I never dared challenge myself. This has totally changed now. For someone who could only say she wasn't very unfit, I now will be running my first 10k in a couple of weeks, took up boxing, and have developed a real taste for adventure. Plus, watching The Way made this particular desire a bit more urgent. So I really look forward to reading all your adventures.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Janneke...welcome to the Forum!

You are in good company. Many of us on the Forum have similar backgrounds and loads of dreams and wishes...many of which come to fruition either along the Way, or when you return home.

May I suggest that you take a few days and just follow the new posts to the Forum. As you do this, you will find that there's a common theme: first time on Camino/or soon to be (that would be you), looking for information on which Camino to walk and when; what type of equipment, where to stay and how heavy a pack.

Once you've done that, then go into the longer threads and review all the differing, or supportive opinions the we share. Most often you'll probably say to yourself...hey, I kind of thought of that, or now that's a new approach to a similar question.

So, welcome and great to have you on board.

Buen Camino

Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Janneke

As a Scotsman I think you were right first time, and that nowhere compares with Scotland. It's also great that you're a boxer - a useful skill, especially in Glasgow. :wink:

Keep us posted about your plans for the Camino. Without doubt you'll enjoy the challenge, as well as the simplicity, beauty, and openness of the experience. Many, many people walking the Camino are new to the whole experience of long-distance walking, which is one of the things that make it so great - we all have to help each other along! :D

Best of luck with the rest of your studies, and Buen Camino peregrina!

Wel, Tyrrek. The Isle of Skye is still number one in my book. I haven't been to Glasgow though. A lot of Scotsmen and Englishmen told me not to bother. It still has a bit of a bad rep. but I am sure boxing isn't really a required skill in order to live up there.

Abbeydore, thanks for all your well-wishes. And Arn, I think I have already read have the forum before registration, but I'll make sure I'll read the other half as soon as possible.

Ha ha! I'll end on this thread for the moment as I'm going totally off topic, but Glasgow is absolutely fine, with friendly open, hospitable people. Its reputation from the 1960s and 70s has changed massively. Those of us from Edinburgh still like to have a stab when we can, that's all! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Even further off-topic -- for the Scotch in Scotland, you have only to go to England:

http://www.fishermansretreat.com/whisky.php

To anyone who samples all 500 single malts in an evening, I will buy the first one. That is my Scots' thrift talking (Grant, Bruce, Abercromby, and Duncan).

It is Scotland I like, the Scotsh not so much. Red wine or beer does me just fine. You are really getting to know me fast. You already know what to order for me if you meet me in a bar along the camino! And Tyrrek, most of the people who advised me against Glasgow indeed came from Edinburgh.

I was planning to buy a smallish backpack but no I have added to the Camino to my wishlist I am not sure what to do. Buy something that might suit both, or buy to pack. I have already bought the Deuter futura 28 (there was a 25% discount night) but can still return it. My main worry is that the shoulder bits are a bit to wide. This might not matter for daytrips and I wouldn't even had known about this being a potential problem if it wasn't for this forum.

I hate buying stuff. I doubt everything and it usually takes me month to make a decision. I just like owning and using stuff. I have read everything there is to read about backpacks and have visited a bunch of stores. The employees are usually getting confused because I certainly am. And I don't like having to deal with helpful shop people in general. Pffff ...

As to packs,
The bigger the pack the more space to fill.
Decide on what you really NEED to take. Not what you MIGHT need!
Then find a pack the right sized to carry it.
Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have done SJPP to SdC to Finisterre with a 35L backpack, but did have to have some things hanging off it, like my coat when it was warm.

28L might be a bit small for the Camino, but if anyone on the forum has walked with such a pack they will come forward and give you the benefit of their wisdom and experience.

Just try stopping them. :D

Shop assistants are often under orders to try and sell certain bits of equipment and they don't always listen to the customer's needs.

Glasgow is like Liverpool, it's reputation is 20 years out of date. :evil:

Apparently the cheaper shops only have women's sizes in the summer season when the have a bigger collection. I might postpone buying my backpack until then, using my Deuter 28 for now, and get something bigger with narrower shoulder straps then.

I actually bought two packs, the Deuter 28 and the Deuter Futura 32 because there was a another discount: second bag 50% of. So I got 25% discount on bag nr.1 and 75 on bag nr 2! So I kind of got two bags for little more than the price of one. But i have decided that the 32 will go back, that I want more of a women's fitting on anything larger.

Routes ... I know many of you advice The Camino Frances for a first-time pilgrim. However, I am expecting to do this only once. I am considering the Camino Aragones as an alternative starting point. How much harder is this route? More difficult or not so bad? What are the differences in scenerey and infrastructure?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Aragones in 2009.
It's spectacular.
There are fewer people, but I found a group to walk with in October.
I only walked Jaca to Pamplona, then on to Santiago because of time constraints, so I missed the first three states. But I will walk it again from the beginning.

There are photos here:
http://www.santiago-compostela.net/aragones/index_ar_en.html

Highly recommended.
Beautiful.
Feel free to PM with questions.

By the way, my trip to San Juan de la Pena never happened.
Well, it started, but I never made it there.
I strongly suggest simply taking a taxi or walking from St. Celia. It is an entire day's trip if you walk there and back.

The trail was extremely steep and washed out... I walked for many hours and ended up being rescued by a German couple in a nice Westfalia bus who dropped me off back down at the main road. Next day I met a young man who'd walked from St. Celia and back. If the albergue is not busy there, the hospitalera may allow you two days stay.

I'm planning on blogging that walk this week.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back