• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A short jaunt on the Le Puy route, or, can I out slow-walk Rob?

Hal

Time of past OR future Camino
si
Before walking from SJPP to Santiago in 2016, I will walk some of the Le Puy route immediately prior - partly to prepare myself for walking in Spain, partly because of the landscape, partly because of the enthusiasm of you good people here and partly because I was given a French language course for Christmas.

I plan to spend 7-14 days on foot before spending a couple of days each in Toulouse, Lourdes and Bayonne prior to SJPP. And I want to amble, by which I mean 10-15km for the first few days.

I will need to depart and arrive at locations with train terminals. I will need to leave May 5 so I imagine there will be more than a few French locals walking that specific time. My primary criteria are memorable scenery, non-depressing/grey villages and welcoming accommodation. My options are:

Le-Puy-en-Velay to Aumont-Aubrac
Aumont-Aubrac to Decazeville
Figeac to Cahors via the Célé Route

Pros and cons, anyone?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did my first Camino from Moissac - has good rail links and is a lovely town. Then there was time and distance to get fit before St Jean.

p.s. you get to go through Condom, which is the perfect town to send postcards from ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tough decision, but I would suggest your second option: Aumont Aubrac to Decazeville or Figeac. Very scenic countryside coupled with a number of beautiful towns: tiny Aubrac, Saint- Chély-d'Aubrac, Saint-Côme d'Olt, Espalion, Estaing, and, certainly, fabulous Conques. Then a decision, because the higher route to Decazeville (the one that is more scenic, according to the suggestions of the personnel in the abbey at Conques) brings with it a lot of road walking. I've done this route twice, and the second time I took the Malle Postale van to Decazeville and walked from there a bit further. After an overnight stay on to Figeac (with its rail connection). The advantage of taking the van was that my wife and I left Conques in the afternoon and had plenty of time to go through the town and its museum.

The third option might have less hikers. That was my experience last May when I hiked part of that route.

Falcon is correct about the bus serving Aumont Aubrac, but it is easy to make the bus transfer from the last stop on your train travel. It will drop you at the Aumont Aubrac train station and from there a couple of hotels are a 5-7 minute walk away.

If I can be of additional help, send me a note using the Private Conversation option.

Bon chemin!

Tom

Last edited:
@falcon269 - Cheers for the transport info.

@David - Condom with its Armagnac museum? That town has my name all over it!

@TMcA - Aumont-Aubrac to Decazeville/Figeac seems to be my choice thus far. The landscape seems varied and fantastic to look at. Considering it will be early May, given the altitude, I will need to be prepared for any temperature! Steepness aside I don't especially mind ending in Decazeville - dying mining towns are like mother's milk (Australian in the heezy!). But I would spend 2 more days walking to Livinhac-le-Haut and Figeac and train out of there if the scenery in Figeac is worth it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
Hi I am undertaking the Le Puy way commencing on 7 June 2024. For planning I have a Cicerone Guide by Dave Whiston. I have been trying to book dormitory style accommodation for the first stage...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back