• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A side-trip to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
San Juan de Gaztelugatxe caught my attention a while ago, thanks to this forum thread by @LionHeart7. I visited it last month when walking the first stages of the Camino del Norte. Here's some information that might be useful to others:

Overview:

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is a little church on a rock, accessed by a path, a bridge and a man-made causeway (241 steps). It's on the Basque coast, between the towns of Bermeo and Bakio - NOT on the Camino del Norte, but easily accessible by public transport. The Basque tourist information website has helpful information about the location and history.

It would be a nice side-trip on a rest day, without a backpack.

A few photos:

IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0644.JPG IMG_0652.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0664.JPGIMG_0687.JPG

If you're thinking of visiting, it might be best to go sooner rather than later. Apparently, it's one of the Basque locations for Game of Thrones series 7. Things could get busy!

Getting there:
San Juan de Gaztalugatxe is easily reached from either Bilbao or Gernika.

From Bilbao - take the A3518 bus to Bakio, from Moyua Plaza. There are hourly buses from 6.30am.
When you get off the bus, it's a 4km walk by the coast San Juan de Gaztelugatxe (a bit longer if you stay on the road). @amancio shared these GPS tracks in the other thread - but you probably won't need them as you just keep the sea on your left.
The return buses leave Bakio at 25 past the hour; the last bus seems to be at 21.25.

From Gernika, take a bus or train (Eueskotren) to Bermeo. Both have very regular services.
As you enter Bermeo, you'll see a line of buses and a small kiosk where you can enquire about the bus times. If there's a long wait for the bus to San J de G, a taxi might be a better option as it's a really short journey.
The bus company is Bizkaibus. It's difficult to find the information online, but very easy to figure it out when you're there. I think there are buses to SJ de G every 2 hours.

The journey from Gernika is IMO a lot prettier than the one from Bilbao. It also involves much less walking - and is cheaper and faster.

How I travelled there:
I travelled from Gernika. I opted for the Euskotren (rather then the bus) to Bermeo - a beautiful journey (about 35 mins) through countryside, marshes and coast. I don't think I would have seen this from a bus or taxi. It cost about €1.70 and there are trains every 30 mins or so.

Bermeo is a very attractive coastal town - worth a lunch stop and a little wander before continuing the journey. I caught a bus from Bermeo at 3.15pm. The bus turned out to be a VW 8-seater taxi van, costing just €1.30. It took 15 minutes and we were dropped off very close to S J de G.

My return journey was to Bilbao, which meant walking to Bakio and catching the bus from there. I enjoyed the walk to Bakio, but found it to be a pretty soulless place and I felt quite out of place as a sweaty pilgrim with a backpack. It has a surf beach and lots of apartment blocks that were empty in May.

My impressions:
I enjoyed my visit, not least because it was pretty quiet when I was there. Had there been crowds, I might have hated it! Although it was fun to climb the steps, my favourite part was resting on a quiet rock at the bottom and listening to the ocean.

All of the other visitors were tourists - many in camper vans and hired cars. I was carrying a full backpack and I got some strange looks. Even with the smaller numbers, the vibe was very 'touristy' - a lot of selfies and group photos, some in very precarious and foolhardy poses.

This wasn't a particularly strenuous or difficult walk - while it might give a tourist a sense of achievement, it's unlikely to have that effect on a hiker or a pilgrim. However, it's still a cool place to visit and an interesting thing to do on a rest day. But if you're expecting a 'wow' factor or a deeply spiritual experience, you might be disappointed.

Nuala

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey Nuala! Thanks for sharing. I plan to walk the Camino de Norte in September this year and also plan to take a rest day to visit the San Juan de Gaztelugatxe.

I was wondering were you able to accommodate the trip from Gernika-Bermeo-SJ de G-Bilbao in one day?

Thank you!

Hi @marsvt, sorry for the delay in replying.
Yes, I did this in one day. I also had time to visit the Monday market in Gernika, buy new walking shoes and post my boots home - so I probably set off from Gernika around midday.
Happy planning and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @marsvt, sorry for the delay in replying.
Yes, I did this in one day. I also had time to visit the Monday market in Gernika, buy new walking shoes and post my boots home - so I probably set off from Gernika around midday.
Happy planning and Buen Camino!
Perfect! Thank you so much :)

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back