• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino A slow Finisterre walk

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF apr18. CP sep18. CF Aug23, Finisterre may24.
Hi all, I'm currently doing a 10km (ish) a day walk from Santiago to Finisterre and, on the whole, finding it a great way to walk.
I was worried that the shorter distances each day would leave too much time in the afternoons sat around the albergue but do far so good.
Pros:
Even with a dodgy knee, the 10km is no where near as painful as a 25km day would be and therefore "doable" (for me anyway)
No rush in the mornings, I can let everyone else pack up and head off and then take my time to get ready before enjoying a breakfast/cafe con leche etc.
Take extra time during the day to stop and enjoy the villages I would normally walk straight through on a 25km day.
Reach the albergue still fresh enough to sit, chat, enjoy the afternoon before washing my clothes etc.

As for cons, I can't really think of anything that affects me personally. Maybe the longer afternoons could be a waste of walking time for some? Personally I don't mind. There's always people to talk to and a vino or bocadillo to enjoy.

I'm even considering writing a post for my blog that may help people, (for instance with mobility issues) that don't think they could walk a camino, just to say that a slow, reduced distance approach is still a very viable option.
Anyway, enough of me rambling on.
Buen Camino all !!
Love and hugs
Andy x

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm even considering writing a post for my blog that may help people, (for instance with mobility issues) that don't think they could walk a camino, just to say that a slow, reduced distance approach is still a very viable option.
Better yet, you could post about it on here, it would be a great resource.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like your approach: “No rush in the mornings, I can let everyone else pack up and head off and then take my time to get ready before enjoying a breakfast/cafe con leche etc.”
It’s the way I have always walked my caminos, just can’t do early starts, and I really enjoy my breakfast – The Best Meal Of The Day – well, maybe not in Spain.
Have a wonderful camino.
So refreshing to see your post – everyone else seems to be rushing out at 5am to get to the next albergue by 1pm so that they can get a bed and do their laundry.
I guess us late starters, who like wandering along, enjoying leisurely breakfasts and long lunches, arriving late in the day, can now only walk off season if we want to walk the camino and not book ahead. But that’s OK, I can do that.

Hi all, I'm currently doing a 10km (ish) a day walk from Santiago to Finisterre and, on the whole, finding it a great way to walk.
I was worried that the shorter distances each day would leave too much time in the afternoons sat around the albergue but do far so good.
Pros:
Even with a dodgy knee, the 10km is no where near as painful as a 25km day would be and therefore "doable" (for me anyway)
No rush in the mornings, I can let everyone else pack up and head off and then take my time to get ready before enjoying a breakfast/cafe con leche etc.
Take extra time during the day to stop and enjoy the villages I would normally walk straight through on a 25km day.
Reach the albergue still fresh enough to sit, chat, enjoy the afternoon before washing my clothes etc.

As for cons, I can't really think of anything that affects me personally. Maybe the longer afternoons could be a waste of walking time for some? Personally I don't mind. There's always people to talk to and a vino or bocadillo to enjoy.

Anyway, enough of me rambling on.
Buen Camino all !!
Love and hugs
Andy x
Love your approach to your Camino. It’s a great walk from SdC to Finisterre. I’ll be the first to admit that I tend to go too fast, travel too far in a day, and not have time for the many good things I see or places I pass through on my way to an end-of-day destination. Good for you for taking the time to smell the roses! Keep enjoying those bocadillos and vino! Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Better yet, you could post about it on here, it would be a great resource.
Yes of course, when I've finished the walk I'll create a post that includes full details of my "mini" stages whatever they may be. I'll be taking suggestions for a decent title that would be easily searchable should someone be looking for that kind of info.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked SdC to Muxia over 8 days(spent an extra day in Fisterra). Broke up Fisterra to Muxia at a lovely Albergue in Lires. Extra day in Muxia before returning to SdC and flying home. It was a lovely finish to the Camino Ingles in 2022

Most read last week in this forum

A short video about the continuing problem of pilgrims leaving clothing and other items near the lighthouse in Fisterra. A "tradition" which local people would like to see stopped...
Hello, first post - so mods, please move if this isn't an appropriate location for my post. I'm walking to Muxia / Finisterre in September with my husband who is recovering from long covid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.