• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Acces to albergues

Zofia Carolina

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2012
I was told that many albergues do not take in cyclists or in some you have to wait till around 6 pm to be allowed in, by which time there are no more spaces available. Is this true? And if so where can I find out which oned do take bikers in?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is true for municipal and parochial albergues and many private albergues. I have not found reliable information on which ones have what policy. At quieter times, money talks, so albergues will admit bicyclists earlier in the day. My guess is that you won't know until you arrive and ask.

Zofia Carolina said:
I was told that many albergues do not take in cyclists or in some you have to wait till around 6 pm to be allowed in, by which time there are no more spaces available. Is this true? And if so where can I find out which oned do take bikers in?

falcon269 said:
It is true for municipal and parochial albergues and many private albergues. I have not found reliable information on which ones have what policy. At quieter times, money talks, so albergues will admit bicyclists earlier in the day. My guess is that you won't know until you arrive and ask.

You may wish to investigate the Bike-Lne Service for cyclists on the Camino Frances which lists those albergues which ARE cyclist friendly. See >> http://bike-line.blogspot.com.es/ For example one such albergue where I stayed late October 2010 is at Viloria de Rioja just east of Belorado. Acacio and Orietta have a wonderful refuge for pilgrims and cyclists. They have created this comfortable oasis from abandoned animal sheds; there are 10 bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove. Great showers water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho. See >> http://www.peregrinando.org/.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have seen bicyclists waiting for admittance until 6 p.m. dozens of times, though I have never seen any turned away. I have not walked in the high season, so when albergues are full with walkers, bicyclists should be prepared to move on to other accommodations. With albergues almost every 5 km, it doesn't take long to move ahead (at least that is the theory). In the slack seasons, there may not even be a wait.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Zofia Carolina said:
Thank you all for your info. Margaret, I went to http://bike-line.blogspot.com.es/ but my Spanish is not good enough to figure it out where to find that list or how to ask about it in Spanish. Suggestions?

Zofia,

On the opening page of the Bike-Line site scroll down until you see on the left BIKELINE 2012 - ACTOS Y FACTOS and on the right column a red backed photo of bikers entitled PASAPORTE BIKELINE. Hit this photo and in another tab will download the PASAPORTE or list of all the cyclist friendly albergues of 2011.

Links to other cyclist/camino sites are found at Webs de Interes further down on the right on the opening page of the Bike-Line site. For example here is one in English >>
http://www.bicigrino.info/albergues/cat ... category=3

Hope this helps!

Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back