• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bike Safe Accommodations on Camino Portuguese Lisbon to Santiago- Are Stolen Bikes an Issue?

SMcComb

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugese
Does anyone know an app or website that identifies accommodations along the Camino Portuguese that provides a safe space to store bike(s) during the night? I am wondering if stolen bike(s) has ever been an issue on the Camino Portuguese. Is it important to find accomodations that have a safe storage area...or....is it OK to lock a bike up outside at night? I do not know if stolen bikes are an issue (or not an issue) on the Camino Portuguese. Any feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Sharon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where are you starting from? Never ever had a problem when starting from Porto.

Portugal is also a major manufacturer of bikes so they might actually have enough of their own ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Buen Camino App shows albergues with bike storage.
Is bike theft a problem on the Caminos? Think about it, if you were a bike thief looking for a supply of bikes to steal would you choose a walking camino?
Kryptonite make a good steel cable (Kryptoflex - 1.2m) and Abus make a good Titalium lock, that's what I use but then that's no recommendation, nothing is determined-bike-thief-proof!
Keep one of three things on your bike; your arse, your eye or your bike lock.

The Buen Camino App shows albergues with bike storage.
Is bike theft a problem on the Caminos? Think about it, if you were a bike thief looking for a supply of bikes to steal would you choose a walking camino?
Kryptonite make a good steel cable (Kryptoflex - 1.2m) and Abus make a good Titalium lock, that's what I use but then that's no recommendation, nothing is determined-bike-thief-proof!
Keep one of three things on your bike; your arse, your eye or your bike lock.
Thank you for the info! Appreciate!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anyone know an app or website that identifies accommodations along the Camino Portuguese that provides a safe space to store bike(s) during the night? I am wondering if stolen bike(s) has ever been an issue on the Camino Portuguese. Is it important to find accomodations that have a safe storage area...or....is it OK to lock a bike up outside at night? I do not know if stolen bikes are an issue (or not an issue) on the Camino Portuguese. Any feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Sharon

If you haven’t already, you may want to check out the YouTube videos on how long your choice of bike lock will resist a cordless angle grinder, the tool of choice for bike thieves. Nearly all bike locks can be cut open in 10-30 seconds. The LiteLok took 3+ minutes to be cut open. The HipLock D1000 bike lock is so far uncuttable by a cordless angle grinder.

If you haven’t already, you may want to check out the YouTube videos on how long your choice of bike lock will resist a cordless angle grinder, the tool of choice for bike thieves. Nearly all bike locks can be cut open in 10-30 seconds. The LiteLok took 3+ minutes to be cut open. The HipLock D1000 bike lock is so far uncuttable by a cordless angle grinder.
Those locks cost more than most bikes I've ever bought, but I tend to buy used ones. I think the best way to prevent theft is to have a decent lock on a bike that doesn't have a high resale value. That way, no hard-core bike thieves will even look at it.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I remember the first time I stayed in the Zamora albergue, there had been a bike theft the night before. The thieves had hopped down from above (the albergue is on a steeply inclined narrow road) into the small patio behind the albergue. I believe that some sort of roof or grate has been installed since then. Just to say that keeping one step ahead of determined thieves is a real challenge. I have met bicigrinos who were able to bring the bikes inside the physical structure of the albergue or hotel/pensión, but that may not always be possible. Good luck and hoping for a theft-free camino.

I remember the first time I stayed in the Zamora albergue, there had been a bike theft the night before. The thieves had hopped down from above (the albergue is on a steeply inclined narrow road) into the small patio behind the albergue.
Wow! This was surprising to me, having stored my bike overnight there on at least three occasions. I have to confess that on 7 caminos I have never unduly worried about my bike in albergues.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That perspective works for university or high density urban areas, where bike theft may be common. Once you earn a good income, why settle for instant noodles when you can have filet mignon?
Of course, if I had a very expensive bicycle, I probably would buy the best possible lock. And in retrospect, a lock like that might be worthwhile investment even for a less expensive bike; just to be sure that no one would try to take it.

Thanks for letting me know about the angle grinders. I had no idea. When I was growing up in Chicago, people always talked about the thieves using liquid nitrogen to shatter the metal. Not sure if that was a myth or not!

When I lived in Amsterdam, after losing a couple bikes, I got the most beat up bike possible and painted it garish psychedelic colors. That one lasted…

But you're right, the locks probably weren't good enough, although I thought they were at the time.

Whilst on a different camino (the Frances) in 2015 I cycled or arrival I always inquired about the availability of " off street storage". In a 22 day ride all but one establishment provided off-street and usually under cover storage. One casa-rural let me use their lockable storage shed. I will agree that the quality of your lock will make those thieves think twice about taking your bike in preference to one that is either unlocked or has a flimsy lock. Cheers

I just finished my Camino from Porto last week and I was able to keep the bike in all the hotels I stayed in. Some even had areas where they have repair stations and electrical outlets for you to charge your e-bike. It was a great experience!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took a ride on a bike (not the worst) from the Albergue to the next supermercado in Esposende. And asked for a bike-lock. The Hospitalera had a good laugh 😂🥹.

I don't know the theft-rate in Portugal, but I'm sure it must be lower than in Germany ;)

I just finished my Camino from Porto last week and I was able to keep the bike in all the hotels I stayed in. Some even had areas where they have repair stations and electrical outlets for you to charge your e-bike. It was a great experience!
Bobby, I am about to start from Porto this coming May. Do you still have your list of places that you stayed at. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first time from Porto and first time using a bike.

We live about 1/2 the time in small-town Portugal. It is the lowest-theft place I have ever been. When a theft, however small, occurs, it generally makes the news in the local paper.

I don't think you need worry about your bike except maybe in some of the bigger places along the way, and even there, it's more than likely, if you ask, that they'll find you a safe inside spot for your bike.

A very honest country.

And bom caminho!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We live about 1/2 the time in small-town Portugal. It is the lowest-theft place I have ever been. When a theft, however small, occurs, it generally makes the news in the local paper.
Totally agree for the most part, but just about 100 km away from Barquinha, in Lisboa, there is a good sized group of pickpockets who patrol the Baixa. I have seen at least 4 people who were victims (we go to Lisbon every year for a few weeks, though, so this is spread out), and once my husband almost was - but thankfully his quick-thinking wife interfered.

Totally agree for the most part, but just about 100 km away from Barquinha, in Lisboa, there is a good sized group of pickpockets who patrol the Baixa. I have seen at least 4 people who were victims (we go to Lisbon every year for a few weeks, though, so this is spread out), and once my husband almost was - but thankfully his quick-thinking wife interfered.
That's very true! I was thinking, last night, about the comment I'd written--and considered that it probably didn't apply in Lisboa or maybe even in Porto--I'd heard a lot of warnings about pickpockets in the Lisboa Metro (and actually seen official warning signs in the Metro's cars.)

But--rural Portugal is another animal entirely. And it's hard to "pick" a bike!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back