• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation for large family

Paul_L

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés Feb-April (2015)
Camino Francés March-April (2020)
Its now only a week till we leave Australia and under a month till we start the camino. So excited, but also nervous. Just writing now I feel my heart soar and my stomach sink. As many pilgrims I've seen writing here, some last minute anxiety is normal. So here goes my last minute questions.

1. Is accommodation for a family of 7 plus 2 close friends going to be tricky (leaving in February). I know lots of people just go with it, and I want to embrace that, but finding a bed for me is different to finding 9 beds. (I anticipate once we hit April it will be difficult, we will hopefully still be on the camino at Easter, and that will be at the busy end by then too!)

2. I've trawled through the site aucoeurduchemin, and the options for accommidation seem somewhat limited in SJPP. We want to stay two nights 12-14 Feb. We arrive at 7:32pm, have no made reservation. Is that asking for trouble? What do people suggest?

Thanks to all for your support so far. It has been invaluable for our family.
Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Beds for 9 people will be sketchy night by night.
Private Albergues take reservations and that may be your best bet...but requires that you have a set distance/stopping point each night.
Many albergues only have 30 or less beds...so 9 people would have to be early to insure beds.

SJPdP should always be reserved even if you are only one pilgrim.
Try to make reservations right now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd make reservations for the first night, then check into the Municipal Albergue the next morning when they open.

2. I've trawled through the site aucoeurduchemin, and the options for accommidation seem somewhat limited in SJPP. We want to stay two nights 12-14 Feb. We arrive at 7:32pm, have no made reservation. Is that asking for trouble? What do people suggest?

Yes, arriving late with a largish group (including children) without having a reservation is asking for unnecessary trouble in my opinion. Whilst the pilgrims office will do their best to help you, there is always the risk that they might have to split your group up in order to find a bed for everyone. Have a look here: http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/trai...garoncesvalles/place/saint-jean-pied-de-port/ for another list of albergues in SJPDP and their contact details and opening info.

I stayed here: http://gitecompostella.jimdo.com/english/ and as far as I know they are open, upon reservation, all year. Clean but simple, but the installations: big kitchen and living room would be great for a group like yours.
Buen Camino! SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, arriving late with a largish group (including children) without having a reservation is asking for unnecessary trouble in my opinion. Whilst the pilgrims office will do their best to help you, there is always the risk that they might have to split your group up in order to find a bed for everyone. Have a look here: http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/trai...garoncesvalles/place/saint-jean-pied-de-port/ for another list of albergues in SJPDP and their contact details and opening info.

I stayed here: http://gitecompostella.jimdo.com/english/ and as far as I know they are open, upon reservation, all year. Clean but simple, but the installations: big kitchen and living room would be great for a group like yours.
Buen Camino! SY
Thanks for the reply and links. I've sent an email and now await a reply. I feel a bit better having made a couple of enquiries now.

I
Beds for 9 people will be sketchy night by night.
Private Albergues take reservations and that may be your best bet...but requires that you have a set distance/stopping point each night.
Many albergues only have 30 or less beds...so 9 people would have to be early to insure beds.

SJPdP should always be reserved even if you are only one pilgrim.
Try to make reservations right now.
I've sent an enquiry now, thanks for the prompt.
Whilst we aren't too keen on relying on private Albergues, we may end up having to take that path more often than we were hoping. I hope that having set stopping points doesn't lock us in to an itinerary though. I can't think of many better ways to kill the spirit of what we hope to experience than locking everything into a fixed timeframe. I'm comfortable with making a decision the night before of what our aim is for the subsequent day, but not for sending out two weeks' reservations.

"I'm comfortable with making a decision the night before of what our aim is for the subsequent day, ..."
At the time of the year you are on the way that should be perfectly enough. I think it is, for you, more a case of making sure that the albergue is actually open and to 'warn' the hospitalero that a 'bigger than normal at that time of the year' group comes. Buen Camino! SY

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I

I've sent an enquiry now, thanks for the prompt.
Whilst we aren't too keen on relying on private Albergues, we may end up having to take that path more often than we were hoping. I hope that having set stopping points doesn't lock us in to an itinerary though. I can't think of many better ways to kill the spirit of what we hope to experience than locking everything into a fixed timeframe. I'm comfortable with making a decision the night before of what our aim is for the subsequent day, but not for sending out two weeks' reservations.

Hi, Paul,

Since you're walking in February, you may find that many places (not municipals) are closed. I think that's likely to be more of a problem than finding space for 9 people in an albergue, since the February pilgrim numbers are so low.

Have you seen Rebekah's post with a list of albergues that are open in winter?
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/winter-pilgrims-open-albergues-site.30309/

Buen camino, Laurie

I am speaking as a person who hates the "get the reservation locked in stone ahead of time" part of traveling, no matter where I are going. Really, how can you know what you would want to pick just by reading those words on a page? In an ideal world, all of my travel could be the Camino way of make the journey, see where you land and then figure it out. For me this is Not a stretch. And, I am perfectly happy if someone else wants to figure out the lodging.

But, as I understand it, the Caution is always to leave the opening for letting the reality of the Camino be your guide, rather than the fear of the unknown as you sit in the security of your computer on your sofa at home. You have a large group. Maybe your higher priority is to experience the camino together. I agree with your idea to reserve the first day or two now, then see what your actual experience is. Let that actual experience and your current levels of _______ guide where you make a reservation for the following night or two. Then let that current wisdom guide the following night or two. Bit by bit, step by step. But even I would make reservations if I had so much to consider. In the bigger picture, if you consider your priorities, it may support you being fully present wherever you are.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
As a group of 11, (and one that included children as young as six and an octogenarian Grandpa), our strategy was to not walk too far each day and make sure we arrived nice and early so we could be in the queue for a bed (more often than not at a municipal or parochial albergue). This actually forced us to be relaxed because we were not covering massive distances and had time to do paintings and journals and wander round and find playgrounds and visit churches and sit round chatting together etc.
As others have suggested, you could book ahead - even if it night by night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back