• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On line reservations for accommodations

RobertS

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
My wife and I will walk the camino for the first time in May, starting in Sarria. We have made several reservations through email conversations with inns but have not left a deposit or cc info. They tell us reservation confirmed and we pay on arrival. We're just a little worried the reservation won't be there when we arrive! Should we be concerned? Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello RobertS, this should not be a problem. We've experienced this all across Spain, and sometimes in other european countries. We've never, ever had a problem.

However, if it makes you feel more secure in knowing you have a bed to rest your head at night, take J Willhaus's suggestion to call the day before.

I hope you have a great camino!

Hello @RobertS - welcome to the Forum.
No worries actually it is a very common practice on the Camino. I remember coming out of Burgos I questioned one Albergue if there are beds available and got a response something to the fact of "Just make sure you will be there". I panicked and replied back that I will be more than happy to give him my CC "NOW" to which the man responded with no Need; take it easy; have a nice walk and enjoy your Camino. The bed was indeed there when I came into town.

My suggestion is to download WhatsApp (if yoou have not done so already) as most of communications are done through it. Then the night before you may want to message the place with confirmation of your arrival "tomorrow" and perhaps an approximate ETA. Then on the day of the walk if you see that you are running late - message again with adjusted ETA. Easy, peasy, breezy!

Good luck and Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello @RobertS - welcome to the Forum.
No worries actually it is a very common practice on the Camino. I remember coming out of Burgos I questioned one Albergue if there are beds available and got a response something to the fact of "Just make sure you will be there". I panicked and replied back that I will be more than happy to give him my CC "NOW" to which the man responded with no Need; take it easy; have a nice walk and enjoy your Camino. The bed was indeed there when I came into town.

My suggestion is to download WhatsApp (if yoou have not done so already) as most of communications are done through it. Then the night before you may want to message the place with confirmation of your arrival "tomorrow" and perhaps an approximate ETA. Then on the day of the walk if you see that you are running late - message again with adjusted ETA. Easy, peasy, breezy!

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Thank you! Great idea!

I had the same concern when I walked the Portuguese. I emailed my hosts shortly before I departed to confirm my reservation and to say that I was looking forward to my visit. I didn't have any issue and everything worked out as planned.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On my first Camino I phoned an albergue in Pamplona to reserve 6 beds for my walking companions and myself for the next night. I was surprised when I was asked only for my first name!

Most places do want you to call the day before or sometimes 2 days before, to reconfirm. They have had so many people simply not show up, that some places are turning to booking dot com so they are assured of getting their money. I don't blame them.

Yes, there are still some really trusting places out there that don't require a deposit or at least a credit card, but some will let your bed go if you are not there by a certain time. Some of course just want your name, too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why pre book
Unless you know there is going to be a problem
Just walk and relax

Simple - presume there WILL be a 'problem' and pre-book.
Thenk just walk and relax (no bed race of any kind) :p

Seriously, seems the OP already made some pre-bookings and was just worried about the fact that they were not "secured" if you will US-style by the CC. which obviously is not an issue

Buen Camino

Why presume there will be ?
This is the reasoning that is making people concerned

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why presume there will be ?
This is the reasoning that is making people concerned
Really it is up to each individual and what they are comfortable with. I also don't like to book. What if I see a really awesome place where I'd rather stay at and I arrive at my reserved place and it isn't all that great?

On the other hand, some people get really anxious and will just be happy to have a reservation even if they see an awesome place that isn't their choice.

The great thing is that there is a choice most of the time to either reserve or not.

I used to request the hospiladero/a if they would be so kind as to phone ahead for me to confirm my booking. they would realise that it was a long distance call for me but a local call for them. they were always very happy to do so. I would stress that it was to 'confirm' my booking. They often ended up having a long chat with somebody that they knew slightly., and very happy about it. next day I was not only expected but my confirmation call was much appreciated and I would be given a great welcome.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used to request the hospiladero/a if they would be so kind as to phone ahead for me to confirm my booking. they would realise that it was a long distance call for me but a local call for them. they were always very happy to do so. I would stress that it was to 'confirm' my booking. They often ended up having a long chat with somebody that they knew slightly., and very happy about it. next day I was not only expected but my confirmation call was much appreciated and I would be given a great welcome.
Brilliant 👍

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My wife and I will walk the camino for the first time in May, starting in Sarria. We have made several reservations through email conversations with inns but have not left a deposit or cc info. They tell us reservation confirmed and we pay on arrival. We're just a little worried the reservation won't be there when we arrive! Should we be concerned? Thanks!
Don't be concerned. They keep your reservations and you just pay when you get there. I never had an issue with this.

one or two days before arrival, contact again via email (Whatsapp or phone) and announce your arrival

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.