• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in a town on the camino

meditation4k

Hi All,

I am looking to find an apartment or a house to rent for 4 to 8 weeks in one of the towns at the beginning of the camino. The place should have a suitable space to invite pilgrims passing through the village every evening in, to learn about and practice meditation. I have in my mind an image of a small building with a living space upstairs and a garage below. This would be perfect!!

I realise you can book accommodation through certain agencies that deal with summer rentals, but these are usually tourist prices. I am looking for something less aimed at passing tourists. I did the camino a number of years ago and remember seeing places to rent, that weren't typical summer holiday homes, they were more for long term accommodation. These would be ideal for what I want. Perhaps those of you who have recently completed the camino or know the towns well might be able to remind me with greater detail of such places.

Any information anyone has to offer will be appreciated. Relevant links to websites, blogs, videos of towns, photos of places to stay and buildings, estate agency numbers, names of people living in those towns, contact details for refugios, bars, shops or other businesses etc.. would be of use!!

Thanks!!
D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If it is on the Camino and you only want it for a few weeks, you are probably going to pay the full tourist rate for it. There is just such a place for rent in Sahagun, but in summer, when all the pilgrims are around, it goes for twice the price.

Rentals of places that are not apartments or commercial spaces are pretty hard to come by, at least in my (Castilla y Leon) part of Spain. The demand seems to be there, though...
Which has me thinking.
Reb.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sounds interesting, Med. A creative project.

What sort of meditation will you offer?
Bearing in mind that the pilgrims will spend one night in one place.

You already have a way to manage the multilingual issue, I'm sure.

You could prepare an email in Spanish for each ayuntamiento which interests you, asking for premises/prices. You can get the addresses online I think.

Could you hire a big tent?

I wish you all the best ...keep us informed?

meditation4k said:
Hi All,

I am looking to find an apartment or a house to rent for 4 to 8 weeks in one of the towns at the beginning of the camino. The place should have a suitable space to invite pilgrims passing through the village every evening in, to learn about and practice meditation. I have in my mind an image of a small building with a living space upstairs and a garage below. This would be perfect!!

I realise you can book accommodation through certain agencies that deal with summer rentals, but these are usually tourist prices. I am looking for something less aimed at passing tourists. I did the camino a number of years ago and remember seeing places to rent, that weren't typical summer holiday homes, they were more for long term accommodation. These would be ideal for what I want. Perhaps those of you who have recently completed the camino or know the towns well might be able to remind me with greater detail of such places.

Any information anyone has to offer will be appreciated. Relevant links to websites, blogs, videos of towns, photos of places to stay and buildings, estate agency numbers, names of people living in those towns, contact details for refugios, bars, shops or other businesses etc.. would be of use!!

Thanks!!
D

Thank you all for your responses. Let me just touch on some of the comments that were made.

The once-off nightly meetings will last an hour to an hour and a half and will be provided in both English and Spanish, at separate times. The simple technique of mantra meditation, the benefits of regular practice, and how best to incorporate it into one's daily schedule will be explained to those attending. The meeting will include a 30 minute guided meditation practice allowing all to experiment with the process and more importantly to experience the benefits of surrendering to one's inner silence. Before leaving each person will be given a free booklet which will explain in more detail what was already explained at the meeting. The booklet will be a good companion for both beginners and experienced meditators. The meetings will be run on a donation basis, the moneys collected used towards funding basic living costs; the accommodation and food.

I should note the techniques and teachings which will be provided are non-denominational, and are accessible to anyone of sound body and mind.

I have already contacted many refugios, albergues and ayuntamientos. Things are moving slowly. I am currently trying an alternative approach and contacting meditation groups and yoga centres based in Pamplona. It is best that this service be offered at the beginning of the walk. A big tent is a simple but good idea. There are some disadvantages but I will look into it.

i am curious to what Reb might be thinking. I hazard to guess it might be setting up a middleman business for those like me. If this be the case, don't forget my predicament.

Mr. Falcon has re-inspired me to look a little more into finding an easy access piso somewhere on the camino. It would need to have a bit of room to hold 20-40 people. Mr. Falcon I appreciate your links.

Best wishes to you all,
I'll let you know how things unfold.

David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here is the Spanish letter I have been sending out, if you should need it.

Estimados Senores,
Les escribo a ustedes desde Irlanda porque estoy interesado en aquilar una casa pequena o un piso, en uno de los pueblos, situado en el Camino Francés, durante un período de cuatro a ocho semanas durante el verano. Es mi intención proporcionar talleres a los peregrinos que pasan por el pueblo cada tarde, enseñandoles, qué es la meditación y cómo se practica, tanto en inglés como en español. Los talleres, basados en la donación, servirán para dar a los que tienen interes unas practicas y tecnicas de meditar, no sectario, cuales ayudaran a los que las utilisan con regularidad, experimentar el crecimiento espiritual y el bienestar personal. Incluyendo estas practicas en su rutina diaria mientras haciendo el camino, el peregrino se disciplinara, dedicandose a la continuación de las practicas, incluso cuando ya han terminado sus peregrinaciónes.

Busco alojamiento apropiado para vivir y para proporcionar las talleres. Un edificio de dos plantas, con un piso arriba y un garaje abajo, o una casa pequena con un espacio amplio en la parte de abajo, sería ideal. Ya he buscado en internet por las paguinas web de unos imobiliárias. No obstante, parece que, o solo ofrecen servicios para turistas, cobrando precios de verano, o no destacan con mucho claridad que es disponible.

Será mejor que el pueblo es en un pueblo de Navarra, o Rioja, cerca el principio del camino, por la razon, que los que asisten a los talleres les quedaran mas tiempo para practicar. El pueblo no debería ser desmasiado grande, o si no, la gente se distraeran haciendo otras cosas, y no se informaran sobre los talleres.

Les he escrito, porque me he dado cuento de que ustedes estan involucrado mucho con el camino. Ustedes saberan mas sobre lo que hay disponible, y los datos de contacto de las personas que me pudiese ayudar encontrar alojamiento apropriado.

Agradezco mucho que hayan tomado el tiempo para leer esta carta. Si quisieran mas informacion podrías mirar al la paguina web http://www.kriyaireland.com o ponerse en contacto conmigo directamente a través de meditation4k@gmail.com

Espero su repuesta atentamente.
Saludos David McGrath

Wow, I want to attend one of your meetings!

I have lived in Spain for five years now, and have seen many enterprises (including my own) in their start-up phases. If I have learned one thing about this place, it is that starting anything takes TONS of time and patience. Nothing goes according to plan or budget... and I mean NOTHING. It is an ongoing exercise in letting go and letting the right action rise up at the proper moment.

It is wonderful when everything finally comes together. But expect a good long slog before that.

Reb.

Reb, ever thought about renting out that nice space I cleaned for you when I was there? Or the rooms across the breezeway ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
David, have you thought about offering your workshops outdoors, in a park or plaza? Lots of ayuntamientos and churches have classroom or meeting space available if you make it clear your workshops are also open to the local citizens.

Reb.

Rebekah,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will do all I can before I go to Spain. Regardless of whether or not I have a place organised I will still travel and as you might say, 'just see what happens'. It would be good to stay in touch. I'll keep you updated on how it all fairs out. In the meantime, keep your eyes and ears open for me please.

David

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back