Search 69,459 Camino Questions

? Accommodation in Montefurado?

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Hi all
I thought I’d read that an albergue had opened in Montefurado?
Was I imagining it. ?
I can’t see a reference or contact for it in Gronze or Wise Pilgrim @wisepilgrim

We are in o Barco tonight & have booked Hostal pilloban in A rua for Friday night but wanted to check on availability if possible in Montefurado.
Last time I walked from A rua to Montefurado and caught the train back / then taxi’d there again the following morning.

Maybe @peregrina2000 might know ??
Annie.

Ps it’s been busy on invierno.
9 stayed in Villavieja when we were there.
The lively Casa Rosa in Puente de Domingo Florez was full yesterday. We stayed out in the edge at Hostal La Torre.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@OzAnnie when i walked in August there was no accommodation in Montefurado. I did get a fabulous guided tour of the church though as local lady Marisol spotted me walking through and arrived to the square as i was having a rest.
There is some pricey but welcome food/coffee at Bendillon and there's a possibility of accommodation there (not sure and i don't have contact details) - Casa Martina or Ana in not sure.

Enjoy, it's a lovely though long stage, i did it in one (otherwise kept my stages to <25).

Can't believe you've met so many pilgrims, i met almost no one for the first 5 or so days!

Buen camino

P.s. You might meet Asunción today in A Rua, she lives near O Pillabán. She would have the contact details re Bendillo.

I walked through there in June, and it seems to me there was very little there that wasn't in ruins. I ended up doing some weird thing around there that had me walking to somewhere just short of Montefurado, taxiing back to the place I was staying, and then taking a crazy early train in the morning to pick it up at Montefurado. I'm shocked to see all these reports of so many people in the Invierno! I stayed at Villavieja with just one other person. In June (this year! not that long ago!) you could walk for days on that route and not see any other pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked through there in June, and it seems to me there was very little there that wasn't in ruins. I ended up doing some weird thing around there that had me walking to somewhere just short of Montefurado, taxiing back to the place I was staying, and then taking a crazy early train in the morning to pick it up at Montefurado. I'm shocked to see all these reports of so many people in the Invierno! I stayed at Villavieja with just one other person. In June (this year! not that long ago!) you could walk for days on that route and not see any other pilgrims.

There are people living in Montefurado, and one of them is a very special Casimiro. Anyone who walks through — don’t miss your opportunity to connect with this man, going strong in his mid-90s and a really wonderful person.

I think it looks pretty clear that the Invierno snowball is beginning. It could be following the trajectory that the Primitivo took, and the Primitivo didn’t have a Brierley guide!

There are people living in Montefurado, and one of them is a very special Casimiro. Anyone who walks through — don’t miss your opportunity to connect with this man, going strong in his mid-90s and a really wonderful person.

I think it looks pretty clear that the Invierno snowball is beginning. It could be following the trajectory that the Primitivo took, and the Primitivo didn’t have a Brierley guide!
If you start there after taking the train, you get there so early in the morning that absolutely no one is up and about! So if you want to meet Casimiro (or a woman who I understand hangs out around the area of the church and wants to make sure it's fully explained to every pilgrim walking through), don't take that morning train!

don't take that morning train!
I agree - take the bus (outside the railway station in A Rua) timetabled at 08:15 but usually late. Ask the driver to put you off at Montefurado - the bus doesn't go through the village so you alight on the main road (N120), walk down a lane, under the railway line, turn right and you'll reach Montefurado in a a couple of hundred yards where you turn left for the Camino. I didn't see another walker until I'd passed Chantada.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What a difference a couple of days can make. I started the Invierno 2 days before OzAnnie. In the first 6 days I only saw 6 other peregrinos. Now on Day 7 I have finally found 3 others.

According to gronze.com there are no services available between A Rua and Quiroga. I think it was in Bendillo where a woman named Ana has started to offer food at her house. Not sure how consistent she is with this but there is a phone number in the photo where she can be reached. Also a couple of donativo snack stands.

Attachments

• 20231003_141521.jpg
    20231003_141521.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I agree - take the bus (outside the railway station in A Rua) timetabled at 08:15 but usually late. Ask the driver to put you off at Montefurado - the bus doesn't go through the village so you alight on the main road (N120), walk down a lane, under the railway line, turn right and you'll reach Montefurado in a a couple of hundred yards where you turn left for the Camino. I didn't see another walker until I'd passed Chantada.
Ha! Next time!

What a difference a couple of days can make. I started the Invierno 2 days before OzAnnie. In the first 6 days I only saw 6 other peregrinos. Now on Day 7 I have finally found 3 others.

According to gronze.com there are no services available between A Rua and Quiroga. I think it was in Bendillo where a woman named Ana has started to offer food at her house. Not sure how consistent she is with this but there is a phone number in the photo where she can be reached. Also a couple of donativo snack stands.
Ana is a nurse whose mother lived in Bendillo. She passed away earlier this year and Ana is using her house as a cafe for a while until she decides what to do with it. She was planning to close at the end of September but might still be open.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...
Peñalba de Santiago with its 10C untouched Mozarabic church and its traditional stone houses with slate roofs and dark wooden balconies is a real gem (and don’t forget the hermit cave of San...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.