• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Ste Foy la Grande to SJPDP

CMB

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues (2009)
Le Puy (2013 - 2016)
Norte (September 2017)
We hope to walk Ste Foy la Grande to SJPDP starting 20th Sept. I have the latest MMDD guide and also working from the guides on the voiedevezelay.eu website. We tend to walk 20 - 25km days. Can anyone please recommend accommodation on this route? I notice that many of the accommodations listed only have place for 6 - 10 pilgrims and are not very plentiful compared to other caminos or are off route. Do they fill up quickly? I'm concerned that we might struggle to find some place. My french is basic so having to make several phonecalls to secure accommodation would be a worry. I'm trying not to overthink this and we have walked many caminos both in France and Spain but looking for some practical advice on the Voie de Vezelay as I feel very drawn to it.
Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
CMB,
The sources which you cite are some of the best for accommodation on the Vezelay route.
However when you do get to France in the various tourist offices ask about the Chaine d'Hospitalité Locale. This is a group of local people in various communities along the way who offer pilgrims hospitality and do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

Be sure to check out the many other posts and links in the forum section Voie de Vezelay. Tap the link at the top of your post to see more.

Good luck and Bon chemin.

Last edited:
CMB,
The sources which you cite are some of the best for accommodation on the Vezelay route.
However when you do get to France in the various tourist offices ask about the Chaine d'Hospitalité Locale. This is a group of local people in various communities along the way who offer pilgrims hospitality and do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

Be sure to check out the many other posts and links in the forum section Voie de Vezelay. Tap the link at the top of your post to see more.

Good luck and Bon chemin.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for that information re Hospitalite Locale. More options.

We were stuck in Ste. Foy La Grande in May because we landed there on the Saturday of a holiday weekend and could not call the municipal auberges for reservations. Other places did not call back or were booked, as there were at least two french groups ahead of us due to the long weekend. We ended our chemin after 8 days of walking but wanted to do more. Spent the rest of our trip as tourists and hope to return next year.

We were stuck in Ste. Foy La Grande in May because we landed there on the Saturday of a holiday weekend and could not call the municipal auberges for reservations. Other places did not call back or were booked, as there were at least two french groups ahead of us due to the long weekend. We ended our chemin after 8 days of walking but wanted to do more. Spent the rest of our trip as tourists and hope to return next year.
That is my concern - that places in the refuges municipals fill up quickly. Do you know if it is possible to book them weeks in advance or do they just accept bookings 2 or 3 days before arrival? I'm thinking now I should book most accommodation before leaving home.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That is my concern - that places in the refuges municipals fill up quickly. Do you know if it is possible to book them weeks in advance or do they just accept bookings 2 or 3 days before arrival? I'm thinking now I should book most accommodation before leaving home.
I don't know but I would try to find out and then plan as far ahead as you can. In one village they have a list of families who offer hospitality. I've found with couchsurfing one can't always book too far in advance, especially with families who have children.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back